[SOLVED] Alphacool GPU AIO + CPU AIO loop question

Jan 5, 2021
Hi,

I am planning a similar build as mr fancy moustache from Bit-tech here:
Code:
https://youtu.be/J1u_SZ5xHgw?t=1078
But in the Meshify 2 XL case, with and Alphacool Eisenwolf GPU AIO and a Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 , with an Ryzen 9 5950x, an MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X 10G OC on a Asrock Taichi X570 Razor ed. motherboard.

But after watching Gamers nexus video about good and bad AIO cooler radiator positions and then seeing bit-tech video, should the top radiator on bit-tech's video not be turned around? With the in and output/exit/something on the right side? 17:18
View: https://youtu.be/J1u_SZ5xHgw?t=1078

Screenshot:
Or doesn't it matter?

Also, forgive my noob questions, the exit line from the CPU block goes to the GPU block, it means warm coolant fluid to the GPU? Does that matter? Or is the fact that everythting, a 280 radiator and a 360 radiator keeping both devices cooler overall?

I read that the 5950x ideally needs a larger radiator than 280, is the combo of the GPU AIO and CPU AIO radiator in volume enough to cool those two hot running devices?

Thanks
Lommerte, soon to be first time AIO installer.
(But veteran AIR cooled system installer.)

Solution
Well, you have a lot of height up top, so a very thick radiator would work as well. There are also products like this with an integrated pump/res:

https://www.swiftech.com/drive-x3-aio.aspx (The third revision of mine. and they fixed the stupid naming so the 240 is 240mm not 280mm)

Or this expensive one with an integrated d5 pump (though these seem out of stock most places, would have to track one down)

https://www.performance-pcs.com/wat...s-d5-pump-stainless-side-panels-aq-33010.html

Also CPU blocks with integrated pumps such as:

https://www.performance-pcs.com/water-cooling/pumps/alphacool-eisbaer-lt-solo-black.html (Might be too...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The top radiator being rotated won't change anything.

Loop order doesn't matter all that much, and CPUs have a much lower surface area, so they benefit more by being on the 'cold' side (mind that the difference is going to be only a few degrees between the hot and cold side). But there isn't enough time for the water to get saturated before it is already leaving, so it can go into the GPU and absorb more heat.

A 280 and a 360 is more than enough to keep those two parts cool. Probably not hugely different than really high end air coolers, but it is likely to be quieter (and can certainly be configured for silence)

To really outdo air cooling you need a lot of radiator space/thickness, then you can run the fans at low RPM.

Personally, I would just do a custom loop once you start getting quick disconnects into the mix. Pump/Res, two blocks, two radiators, and ten fittings will get the job done. There are also a few pump/res/radiator combos like what I use as the core of my loop.

Jan 5, 2021
Hey man thanks for the info.

I was making this puzzle in my head for a few days I am almost there to start putting parts on the wishlist.

Personally, I would just do a custom loop once you start getting quick disconnects into the mix. Pump/Res, two blocks, two radiators, and ten fittings will get the job done. There are also a few pump/res/radiator combos like what I use as the core of my loop.

The reason I did not want to go full custom loop is because I want everything in one case, RTX3080 and 8 hard drives for the Plex server I want to mount in the case, in this configuration:
V4J7S1J.png

According to this,
g79eFsX.png

I have enough space to mount the 360 radiator with fans to the front of the case. Leave one hard drive space open for the radiator tubes from the GPU AIO to go through.
If there are pumps and or reservoirs or combos that you know of that will fit in the bottom, then I would probably consider it. Any advice on this is always welcome.
jdj9pwR.png

That and the fact that the Eisenwolf GPU AIO is €244.09 and the Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 is €141.40. How much would your proposed custom loop be, fittings, pump, blocks, reservoir, tubes?
I checked out your build on pcpartpicker it does not seem to be a complete list, or am I wrong?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, you have a lot of height up top, so a very thick radiator would work as well. There are also products like this with an integrated pump/res:

https://www.swiftech.com/drive-x3-aio.aspx (The third revision of mine. and they fixed the stupid naming so the 240 is 240mm not 280mm)

Or this expensive one with an integrated d5 pump (though these seem out of stock most places, would have to track one down)

https://www.performance-pcs.com/wat...s-d5-pump-stainless-side-panels-aq-33010.html

Also CPU blocks with integrated pumps such as:

https://www.performance-pcs.com/water-cooling/pumps/alphacool-eisbaer-lt-solo-black.html (Might be too weak for your build, but there are others, probably find one with a reservoir on the CPU as well)

3080 blocks are quite expensive, but the likes of EK, Bykski, Alphacool, etc have them for between $150 and $170 for the Ventus. You can get decent name brand 240mm radiators for about $50, I like XSPC ones myself, or thicker ones like I mentioned, you could stick with a 280mm in the front as well.

DDC pumps themselves are quite small. If you mount a normal tube reservoir hanging off the top radiator, I don't see why you couldn't stick a pump in the bottom. Pump Res in the bottom might be a bit too tall. (Might want to look for one that comes with the 120mm mount for hanging it)

https://www.performance-pcs.com/wat...oir-acrylic-acetal-black-yph65-135-v2-bk.html

You can also look at the relatively cheap Corsair water cooling products (maybe excepting the GPU block, would have to check)

I would have to really sit down and plan out a custom loop in that chassis, and get a complete parts list. That can take hours of research, but the end result is cleaner than a pile of AIO (I did that once, never again) It would probably be about 150 to 200 more expensive, but many parts would be re-usable. (I've had my CPU cooler for quite a number of years, pump still working for now.)

-----Notes on my build:

Cost was a factor in my decisions as well, at the time the pump/res/rad combo was quite cheap ($150 or $160), and it saves you two fittings from a more common build.

My build is somewhat unique, at least I haven't seen anyone else use it this way, though there are other similar AIO that can be converted to custom loops.

H240X is a pump, res, radiator, and comes with a CPU block as a pre-filled all copper/brass AIO. The pump is a DDC version mounted up under the radiator, behind the reservoir. Adding a G1/4 adapter to the pump housing (later added as standard in the various revisions) allows the loop to be expanded using any fittings you want.

So I have my pump/res/rad connected to the CPU block, to the GPU block, to an additional 280mm radiator (a T junction buried down there for a drain), and then from that radiator back to the pump/res/rad. An additional set of fittings for a fill port. A closed loop without any of the hassle of a separately mounted pump/res. I happen to really like the look of it, the revision has a horizontally mounted tube reservoir.

Used to run a pair of GTX980 with it, now a single GTX1080, and my RTX3080Ti is going in as soon as the waterblock arrives, hopefully this weekend, but likely next. (Hopefully it keeps working, want it to last at least until DDR5 is on second generation and I have to get a new CPU block anyway.

Solution
Jan 5, 2021
Thanks for all that information.
I will see what sort of setup I can come up with for a custom loop.
If I understand correctly, I would need a reservoir or pump that fits underneath. Or a reservoir and pump or combo to hang from the top. Hoses. fittings, and two blocks, for CPU and GPU. Am I getting that right?
Any tips on minimum size of reservoir and minimum pump specifications related to power? I will find the max dimensions myself you helped me a lot already.
If I install an Alphacool Eisbaer LT (Solo) it might be to weak on its own but when combined with a descreet pump it should compensate for the lack of power but save on space? But the Aquacomputer Airplex would be enough to pump coolant through the whole system?

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Plenty of options.

1. A discrete pump in the bottom, with a top mounted reservoir hanging from the top radiator, tube down to the pump would satisfy everything,
  2. You could also just hang a pump/res combo from the top radiator, there are some fairly small ones.
  3. CPU block/pump/res all right on the CPU.
  4. 5 1/4" bay mount style pump/res, could probably sneak that down in the bottom somewhere.

2x radiators (4x fittings)
GPU block (2x fittings)
CPU block (2x fittings)
Pump / Res (2x fittings)
Res and Pump (4x fittings)
T junction/Ball Valve for drain port (or you use a low mounted reservoir and just plug the ball valve into it. (1x G1/4 cap to doubly seal the valve)

You can move the pump and reservoir around in any combo. But any combo means 2 fewer fittings, so even if more expensive, you are saving that much in fittings and have one less tube run to make.

Minimum size of reservoir is technically none, just makes filling the loop harder. Also a good way to monitor fluid levels and algae growth.

Generally you want matching pumps when using multiple. In that scenario you would just get a regular CPU block to go with a discrete pump.

All your DDC and D5 pumps are more than adequate for handling a build like you intend. That little one is designed for small form factor, might not have the head pressure to reach the max height of your case (or it would just have to run flat out to do it)