Question Alternative to the phantom spirit

gary_murphy101

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
Hi guys. Just about to order the last part for my new build. I was about to purchase the phantom spirit for my 7800x3d, but I've just checked my case specs and it lists the maximum cpu cooler height as 155mm and the cooler is of course 154mm. Are there any other coolers that will get the job done at that price range. Or buy the phantom and run with the side panel off until I buy a bigger case, and put the side panel back on after use as it should still fit with 1mm clearance

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Please list the specs to your build with these:
Motherboard:
Ram:
GPU:
Chassis:

to help us understand any clearance issues.

Are there any other coolers that will get the job done at that price range
What sort of a budget have you set aside for your build? Where are you located and what is your preferred site for purchase?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi guys. Just about to order the last part for my new build. I was about to purchase the phantom spirit for my 7800x3d, but I've just checked my case specs and it lists the maximum cpu cooler height as 155mm and the cooler is of course 154mm. Are there any other coolers that will get the job done at that price range. Or buy the phantom and run with the side panel off until I buy a bigger case, and put the side panel back on after use as it should still fit with 1mm clearance
What case you buying I bet it fits.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It should fit fine. When suggesting coolers to others, I subtract 1mm off of the case's specified limit to be safe.
It's when others pick, or about to pick coolers whose height match that of the case is what I have a problem with.
But memory clearance is another factor to take into account with some of the dual tower coolers; it'll force you to raise the front fan, which then increases the cooler's total height.

Because Thermalright makes multiple variants of a cooler, they might not share the same memory clearance, like so:
https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/air-cooling/thermalright-phantom-spirit-120-evo-review
According to that review, the PS120 Evo and PS120 are both 157mm tall and share the same 42mm ram clearance.
The PS120SE, on the other hand(link here), is 154mm tall. The ram clearance isn't going to be as high on that one.
You should also leave at least 1mm space between the front fan and the top of the ram, because if they are touching, vibrations from the fan will travel through the ram and damage that area of the board - it could cause you to lose a memory channel.

Find out how tall your ram is.
Or, why not consider a different Thermalright cooler, like the Assassin Spirit/X Plus, or Silver Soul 135? That would be cheaper than a new case.