Question Alternatives to MS Office?

Squids4daddy

Reputable
Feb 13, 2020
I really love MS Office...but I just won't stomach $220 for a seat and "subscription" is a hard nyet for me.

Are there any off brand "office" suites that won't leave me frustrated and wishing I'd just spent the big money? Special emphasis on the data analysis tools in Excel. While we're at it: alternatives to MS Project (same issue).

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Open Office, Libre, Google Docs are all three pretty good. Most of them are a straight up copy of older Office version that they call things something a little bit different and commands are slightly different.

Another point here. For years Office was a buy/install rather than a service like Office 365. It is not uncommon to be able to find people with the key card for older versions such as 10, 12, and so on. Those keys typically allow up to 3 reinstalls (technically to the same machine) before they become invalid. 2010 I think support dropped for so not really sure you can still find the installer, but the one for 12 still works. I am not personally vetted in anything newer for my particular situation.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

ThomasKinsley

Prominent
Oct 4, 2023
I really love MS Office...but I just won't stomach $220 for a seat and "subscription" is a hard nyet for me.

Are there any off brand "office" suites that won't leave me frustrated and wishing I'd just spent the big money? Special emphasis on the data analysis tools in Excel. While we're at it: alternatives to MS Project (same issue).
Not sure which one is the best for data analysis, but here are the big (and medium-sized) names in the business:

LibreOffice - free
Open Office - free
Only Office - free
FreeOffice/SoftMaker Office - free/paid
Zoho Office - free/paid?
Google Office Suite - cloud only, free
WPS Office Suite - free
MyOffice - free/paid?
Polaris Office Suite - One time payment/subscription

Open Office - this unfortunately is a "dead" project, no features is being added since many years ago.

Libre Office, albeit not fully support VBA - does support python scripting (this is of course only relevant if all users use the same software, MS office probably won't run this).

However - let me put in some good arguments of why use Libre Office, those points often goes under the radar:
  • Can be "installed" as a portable app (use portableapps) - this way it doesn't mess with the "system" (i.e. not altering what file types opens in what software, doesn't touch registry, etc. - but you have to open the program first and then open the file, alternatively create a link to the executable file on the desktop and drag the .ods/.odt files onto the shortcut)
  • Does run on other OS. In practice - having an old computer from like 2007 not being used, well put Linux on it and you probably also get the full Libre Office pre-installed. It's probably not going to be lightening fast, but if the computer work it should do it's job.
  • Does MS demand more money for features like formula editor make you unable (won't pay) to use feature in a school/work situation? Well, this is built-in when using Libre Office (module called "Math") - only you have to be used to use text for granular control.
  • How about regular expression search and replace? I think you can buy this as an addition feature to MS office - but for Libre Office, full regular expression are supported (the REGEX( ) function in Libre Office Calc have saved my day several times).

JBHapgood

Honorable
Jul 15, 2019
Given the dominance of MS Office, the LibreOffice developers have devoted a lot of resources to the "filters" that read and write Microsoft proprietary file formats. (LibreOffice natively uses ISO 26300 "OpenDocument" file formats.) The result is that LibreOffice has a high degree of compatibility with MS Office; and each version of LibreOffice improves that compatibility. That compatibility isn't 100% perfect; but in most situations if you're collaborating with someone who uses MS Office they won't even notice you're not using a Microsoft product. The latest version of LibreOffice may be more compatible with the latest MS Office than the earlier versions of MS Office that some people still use.

That said, documents that rely the more advanced or esoteric features of MS Office may cause problems. As noted earlier, LibreOffice doesn't support Visual Basic for Applications, which will cause problems for an Office file that relies on macros. And one thing I've noticed recently is that the latest rental versions of MS Office use a new font (Aptos) by default. LibreOffice doesn't have that proprietary font, which makes documents look funny when LibreOffice attempts to use a substitute for that font. (Older versions of MS Office might have the same problem. I think much of the "necessity" for a new font has to do with encouraging users of old versions to start renting Office 365.) Fortunately, it's possible to find the Aptos fonts for download. They're standard TrueType fonts and work perfectly well with LibreOffice.

Latest posts