Alternatives to the Hyper 212+/Evo for budget cooling

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

It's because the OP isn't really the OP. Now that I'm a moderator, I can actually see the OP. You can't.

This thread got horribly glitched when one mod stickied it and another deleted it, with yet another mod restoring it.

What I'll have to do fix this is (now that I have mod powers to do so) is copy the info to my clipboard, nuke this entire thread, and start a fresh one. Sorry for the inconvenience. Trust me it annoyed me to death too. This thread wasn't even intended to be stickied. It was a joke I was playing on the moderator Onus (who gets hilariously annoyed by the hyper 212), and he liked it so much that it got stickied. I have quite a backlog of things I'm working on though so I am not sure when I can get to this. I am currently designing a PC troubleshooting flowchart right now, and I promise it's going to be a big deal.

Woody1999

Admirable

I second that, the Cryorig H7 is a fantastic cooler. It also looks a lot better than the Hyper 212 line, because it doesn't have that horrible shiny heatsink.

Woody

Indeed. Now that Darkbreeze is a mod he can see the original list and original post. It's much smaller than the second post which everyone else sees as the OP. Weird stuff, like I said, glitched up badly when there was a moderation tug-of-war over this thread. Anyways, keep the suggestions coming so that when I revamp this I can roll it out nicely. I'm also probably going to merge my other CPU cooler list (the big boy list).

Well, @#$% me, NOW all of a sudden, I DO see another list. Swear to God it wasn't there a minute ago. Second post. I don't actually see ANY deleted list though. I'd agree that you need to recreate the whole thread and place the ENTIRE list in the first post. Heh. Crazy.

spladam

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011

Something about Tom's markup config, sometimes I see reply buttons, somtimes I don't, sometimes just changing browser window sizes fixes it, other times it doesn't. Seems to do it MUCH less with chrome ass well, just random.

Glad this thread exist though, been reading reviews, and I'm going to try the Xigmatek Dark Knight SD1283 Night Hawk (If newegg ever gets them back in stock) or the Cryorg H7 (which has GREAT user reviews) on an upcoming build for someone else, it's gonna probably have a modest OC on a 125 watt CPU. I'll try to post how it works after some time if I remember. I like what I read about both of them, and they seem to fit anywhere, and offer a good air solution on a budget. I just can't bring myself to go with water yet, and I'm avoiding AIO's at all cost.

I don't think I'll ever use water cooling, for my own rigs. Especially since the average TDP of processors is beginning to trend downward now. That could change in the future, but I don't think it's going to, so overclocking may begin seeing less of a need for massive cooling using liquid for CPU's OR GPU's, at some point.

But I've said I'd never use something before and ended up doing it so who knows.

shadows1234

Honorable
Jul 18, 2014
i used a h100i and it blow up ruining my fx build never ever in my life will i use water cooling again but as you said darkbreeze tdp is getting lower which is a huge reliever for me knowing a won't need a water cooler again to achieve high overclocks i know there is good air coolers but i don't like the sound some make they sound like leaf blowers.

My FX-8320 is overclocked to 4.5Ghz using a Noctua NH-U14S with a single fan and it never gets loud, even when I'm running Prime95 and it's at it's maximum possible load. It also never exceeds 49°C under that load. With the 212 EVO, which is what I was using temporarily prior to the Noctua, it was peaking at low 70's, which is bad.

shadows1234

Honorable
Jul 18, 2014
That cooler is pretty good from what im hearing i might get that for the new carrizo fx cpus to see what performance gains can be achieved and although the hyper 212 is good it is quite over hyped i rather use the cryorig h7 for it ram clearance design mainly a problem i had when i used it in my micro atx 760k build

The only thing I don't like about the cheap 212 is the fan mounting. At least, the one I bought for a friend of mine had the metal thingies that held the Fan against the heat sink, but they never appeared to be very good at their job. The Fan was very loud because of vibration and what not. Once I put some rubber to the fan and put it back, the loudness got away. The heat sink is great though. For the price, it's amazing. You just need to be mindful of the fan getting placed fine.

Cheers!

My argument is that vapor chambers and heatpipes ARE water cooling.

AND, if your rig has a radiator, it is AIR COOLED.

Every couple years I will troll the water coolers over at overclock.net with that second one.

Now the damn AIO LCSs, they contain such a high concentration of anti-freeze that most of the good cooling properties of WATER are lost, making me shake my head when someone says "ooh my H100 is soooo grand"

Yeah, but a fully soldered/sealed unit with EXTREMELY limited opportunities for leakage is much different than a system that's sealed with , well, seals. Being in the automotive industry for over 25 years has led me to understand that even the highest end cooling systems all leak eventually if there are leak points.

Also there are extremely few occurances of actually having a heat pipe or vapor chamber burst. It's practically unheard of. At least several times per month we see reports of AIOs leaking.

shadows1234

Honorable
Jul 18, 2014
my AIO LCSs blow up in less than 4 months, you should have seen how mad i got the day my system died that day i broke my motherboard in half and smashed the liquid cooler many times with a hammer although lucky my gpu,ram survived but everything else is resting in pepperonis

Status
Not open for further replies.