[SOLVED] Always on VPN on smartphone and geolocation

Status
Not open for further replies.

dat789

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2013
I have an always-ON VPN set up on my phone and it is set to a NA location. I'm in the UK and what I don't understand is that even though my IP address (when outside) is showing North America, when I drive using Waze or us Google Maps, how is it that it knows exactly where I am and able to navigate me to my destination? How is this possible? Unless the IP and geo-location (GPS?) are two separate modules.

Solution
2 different modules at work. your internet is running through the vpn so it gets to fool the location.

however, the maps is running off of gps or cellular triangulation. this can't be faked as the device knows what towers it is connected to and uses that location data for the maps. would be silly to fake that even if you could. would do you no good to be in london and have the map app give you info about new york city.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
2 different modules at work. your internet is running through the vpn so it gets to fool the location.

however, the maps is running off of gps or cellular triangulation. this can't be faked as the device knows what towers it is connected to and uses that location data for the maps. would be silly to fake that even if you could. would do you no good to be in london and have the map app give you info about new york city.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.