[SOLVED] Am I being scammed?

Dec 3, 2020
Hi all, I am in two minds as to whether or to purchase a graphics card a friend is selling.

The graphics card is a 10 month old 2080ti, https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N208TAORUS-X-11GC#kf this one I believe. He is selling it for £600.
The stats:
unknown.png

Some on PCHelpHUB are telling me its a far to high a price, while other friends are saying its not that bad. So I thought I'd come here to get your opinions on the matter.

The reason for buying the 2080ti from him is because I'm looking to make a low-ish cost VR ready PC. I would have to wait for him to be able to buy a 3080 before he's able to sell it to me however, and due to the lack of graphics cards anywhere I may unfortunately end up having to go pre build :( Anyway, I digress.

If anyone could give me their opinion/advice about what I should be really paying for this used graphics card then that would be much appreciated.
Thank you greatly,
Hamez

Last edited:
Solution
I gotta say, this is a monumentally awful idea. 2080 Tis are only going for £600 because the 3070 and 3080 are nearly impossible to buy. The only reason to spend that much for a 2080 Ti is if you have to have it right now.

If you can't buy this 2080 Ti now and instead have to wait for the other guy to get a 3080 on some unknown date, there's zero point to this transaction. This guy wants to eat his cake and have it too; sell the 2080 Ti for the 3080 shortage price while getting to keep it until the 3080 shortage is letting up.

If you have to wait until this guy gets a 3070/3080 for this 2080 Ti, then why not you wait for a 3070/3080 instead? A £499 3070 or a £699 3080 are far better ideas than a £600 2080 Ti even if...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to mention the price at which the card is being sold to you. You might want to also ask your friend if he'd used the card for mining. Does your PSU meet the power requirements for the GPU? On another thought, what are the specs to your current build and the current GPU?

Dec 3, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to mention the price at which the card is being sold to you. You might want to also ask your friend if he'd used the card for mining. Does your PSU meet the power requirements for the GPU? On another thought, what are the specs to your current build and the current GPU?

Hi, terribly sorry about forgetting to add the price! The price is£600 and has been added to the list.

I dont actually have a current build so to speak, as I would be building this one from scratch to use for gaming, and VR games (boneworks/alyx). The build I would most likely go with is this one: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/x7pyxc I'm welcome to any and all feedback with that build also as I'm new to building PC's

Metrois123

Reputable
Sep 17, 2019
Hi, terribly sorry about forgetting to add the price! The price is£600 and has been added to the list.

I dont actually have a current build so to speak, as I would be building this one from scratch to use for gaming, and VR games (boneworks/alyx). The build I would most likely go with is this one: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/x7pyxc I'm welcome to any and all feedback with that build also as I'm new to building PC's
a brand new one cost 1200£ here so i guess its a fair price? but if its the best gpu for the money . Prob not

Dec 3, 2020
My other choice is going pre built as it doesn't look like there are any 3000 series GPU's being available in the UK for a while... But christ is it expensive to get pre built!

DSzymborski

Titan
I gotta say, this is a monumentally awful idea. 2080 Tis are only going for £600 because the 3070 and 3080 are nearly impossible to buy. The only reason to spend that much for a 2080 Ti is if you have to have it right now.

If you can't buy this 2080 Ti now and instead have to wait for the other guy to get a 3080 on some unknown date, there's zero point to this transaction. This guy wants to eat his cake and have it too; sell the 2080 Ti for the 3080 shortage price while getting to keep it until the 3080 shortage is letting up.

If you have to wait until this guy gets a 3070/3080 for this 2080 Ti, then why not you wait for a 3070/3080 instead? A £499 3070 or a £699 3080 are far better ideas than a £600 2080 Ti even if the latter were new. It's not new; it's a used card.

If you must have this GPU now, offer £600, but tell the other person that this amount must drop £50 each week you have to wait, or tell him no deal. Because once the 3080/3070 are available, £300 is about as much as it makes sense to pay for a used 2080 Ti. This guy's making you to wait so he can save £300. By doing this transaction ahead of time, you're paying for half his GPU!

Last edited:
Solution

Joseph_138

Distinguished
Buying used video cards right now is not a good idea. Prices are too high. you'll regret overpaying for an old card when supplies of the new cards start to become available. You'll be able to get a much better card for your money by waiting.