Am I experienced enough to get a job within a I.T company?

PedramCarter

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Basically I've done a level btec course diploma which is equivalent to 3Alevels at 380ucas points out of 420 I've worked with flash, research e Commerce, basic hardware, installing upgrading, programming gaming design, flash, you name it... I've also done hardware in my spare time such as building pc and stuff?

Solution
From experience, I can tell you what most IT companies are going to ask you if you apply for a job.
First, if your going for a corporate IT job, the interviewer is going to quiz you first on your knowledge of the OSI networking model. An IT tech who doesn't know the OSI model (at least a solid understanding of the first 3 layers as well as the application layer), won't get very far in the interview process.
Secondly, you will be quizzed on subnetting. I can't tell you how many interviews I had where the prospective employer handed me a piece of paper and a pen and told me to subnet an IP address. He would give me a network ID and tell me to subnet that address into 20 subnets with 32 hosts per subnet (just as an example), and to list...
That part of the industry is mainly focused on servers and networking. Connecting multiple computer stations to a central server main frame along with networked printers. A good knowledge of Windows server operating systems and resource allotment is also a must.
You can learn a lot of things before starting with a company but then you will need to pick up more once you start work , hands on is a key factor.

A good starting point would be to go to an IT company and either apply or inquire as to the qualifications that they require.

todd1780

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
From experience, I can tell you what most IT companies are going to ask you if you apply for a job.
First, if your going for a corporate IT job, the interviewer is going to quiz you first on your knowledge of the OSI networking model. An IT tech who doesn't know the OSI model (at least a solid understanding of the first 3 layers as well as the application layer), won't get very far in the interview process.
Secondly, you will be quizzed on subnetting. I can't tell you how many interviews I had where the prospective employer handed me a piece of paper and a pen and told me to subnet an IP address. He would give me a network ID and tell me to subnet that address into 20 subnets with 32 hosts per subnet (just as an example), and to list the broadcast IPs for each subnet.
Those are the 2 things I've encountered the most looking for a corporate IT position. There will be exceptions, but if you want some real world advice...
Learn the OSI networking model inside and out and learn to subnet well enough that you can do it in your sleep. With those 2 things in your toolkit, getting a job in the IT world will be much easier.
Also learning windows based networking operating systems as well as linux will make you a more attractive prospect for employment.

Solution