Am I having a virus ? How do i detect one or how to delete one ?

May 20, 2018
Recently my brother downloaded a steam free gift card.rar file it clearly is a malware. He said he clicked run and it didnt do anything. The next day when i woke up i tried opening up the pc and to my surprise it was super laggy this isnt like this. And a cmd window with baejfwww something like that pops out and closes again i tried to google it but mozilla keeps on saying network not secured or something like that i tried using my phone and came up to a theory if this is a virus. I searched through cmd and typed attrib and this is what I found. I tried deleting it but it cant as it says its in another process

Solution
look under start up programs and add/remove programs by date. look for any programs that should not be there like web helper. on add/remove programs look at last installed program. from bitdefender or avg or avast web page make one of there rescue usb boot iso. boot from it and scan your pc. also do a free online scan.

jesse13williamson

Honorable
May 20, 2018
Run a full Windows defender scan. Afterwards, install the Malwarebytes free trial (assuming you don't already have it) and run a full scan on that too. It's very likely that if there is some form of malware it will not get through those scans. Glad I could help.

look under start up programs and add/remove programs by date. look for any programs that should not be there like web helper. on add/remove programs look at last installed program. from bitdefender or avg or avast web page make one of there rescue usb boot iso. boot from it and scan your pc. also do a free online scan.

Solution

jesse13williamson

Honorable
May 20, 2018

Try booting into safe mode and scanning for the malware there, safe mode makes it so that you can't connect to the internet and stops any processes that aren't part of windows or safe. Once inside complete a full scan using Windows Defender. This will show you how to enter safe mode: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Good luck, I'm happy to help if you have any questions.