Question Am I in the clear without undervolting my CPU?

Feb 1, 2024
So recently I built a new computer (it was more like a big upgrade from my previous workstation, I only kept the graphics card), and I bought an i9 -13900kf. After watching some videos and reading some stuff online I tried to undervolt it as in Cinebench R23 I was hitting 100 degrees somewhat fast (around 6 mins into the throttle test multicore, to be more precise).

Of course I tested the CPU in many more scenarios, whether by using it as a denoiser for Blender scenes or by gaming, the temperatures seemed fine to me maxing out at around 70 degrees after high load for about 2 hours. And the performance seemed fine as well (it was very stable in all of the games I tested it into).

But then, I undervolted the CPU ( -0.050 to around - 0.065 voltage with XTU from intel; I also went to BIOS and enabled XMP, left cpu cooling option on liquid cooling as I have a pretty good 360mm cooler, set enhance turbo on disabled, long duration and short duration set to 253w, as I saw intel says that on their website), and things started to look ugly.

First of all the Cinebench score went down a lot (from 39k to around 34k points, but this was not so bad as I had an i7 - 9700k before and I was around 9k points with that one), the thermals looked really good though maxing out around 87 - 90 degrees.

Second and lastly, the gaming performance was weird. Before undervolting I had around 90 fps in The Witcher 3, after undervolting that remained the same but now I had really weird stutters, the screen freezes like hell, and micro stutters as well around 10 secs interval. The thermals are the same with and without the undervolt of the cpu.

So yeah I went back to BIOS default settings and aside from Cinebench R23 100 degree problem, I seem to be in the clear, games work fine now and I get no stutters. So my question is am I in the clear or is this bad for my cpu?

Workstation: Intel core i9 -13900KF ; MSI mag Z790 tomahawk wifi DDR4 ; Geforce RTX 3080ti asus rog strix OC ; 2 sticks of 32 RAM corsair vengeance RS 3600mhz ; Corsair H150i RGB LINK 360mm aio ; one m.2 samsung pro 980 500Gb ; one m.2 samsung pro 980 2Tb ; Corsair RM 1000e ; Corsair 5000D Airflow

Games tested with and without undervolting: Assassins Creed Origins ; The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt ; Resident Evil 4 Remake ; The Last Of Us part I ; Shadow of the Tomb Raider ; Uncharted ; Kingdom come Deliverance ; Horizon zero dawn ; Apex legends ; Cyberpunk 2077 (the only game that was not affected) ; Borderlands 3 ; and also some 2D games as well but there I didn't see a difference in performance.

I appreciate the feedback and hope I am in the clear actually, also I can provide more information if necessary, thanks!

Solution
You're clear :) Since you said gaming had their temps in the ~70c range, its all good.

These 13th gen CPUs do get hot (just like other new CPUs), as seen while stressing it. You wont risk damaging the CPU, because it throttles and stops going above that limit (~100c) for safety. What matters is when not stressing, its in the safe zone, so you're all fine.

zinkles

Commendable
Aug 24, 2022
You're clear :) Since you said gaming had their temps in the ~70c range, its all good.

These 13th gen CPUs do get hot (just like other new CPUs), as seen while stressing it. You wont risk damaging the CPU, because it throttles and stops going above that limit (~100c) for safety. What matters is when not stressing, its in the safe zone, so you're all fine.

Reactions: Biro2001
Solution
Feb 1, 2024

Pfew! Thanks a bunch, I appreciate the feedback, then I guess this is fine :))

TRENDING THREADS