Am I on the correct path to be a sysadmin?

metalmachinist

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
Please help me in finding the right direction to becoming a sysadmin. Currently on a degree plan at my local college for Network and Computer System Administration. http://www.lonestar.edu/integrated-technology-aas.htm

Do I still need to get my CompTIA A+ cert? I was told to skip that for that's just for helpdesk, and they told me to work on getting CompTIA Server+ cert after I get my degree.

Also found this site which tells me the required certs to be a sysadmin
http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/system-administrator-certifications,2-632.html

Any suggestions and help are greatly appreciated.

Solution
Well, generally tough to get into a sys admin role right out of school at a large company. They are seeking experience typically. Usually you want the skills/education on the resume, then get into the company door via any IT role possible. Keep an eye out for leavings and apply for positions within the organization. Or latch on to temporary projects that require additional staffing. This lets you explore a company without committing yourself completely. (Re-orgs, building moves, hardware replacements, collaboration tool migration (MS to Google, IBM to MS, etc)

For small companies, they want to keep costs low. However, these can be a great stepping stone into getting experience prior to applying to a more corporate role.

Also don't...

USAFRet

Titan
Just because you have specific 'certs', does not make you a sysadmin.
I've worked with people who have certs out the wazoo. And are absolutely clueless when presented with actual hardware. Or even worse, a hardware problem.

Having a particular certification is just to get you in the door for an interview.
What do you actually know how to do?
What can you show me?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, generally tough to get into a sys admin role right out of school at a large company. They are seeking experience typically. Usually you want the skills/education on the resume, then get into the company door via any IT role possible. Keep an eye out for leavings and apply for positions within the organization. Or latch on to temporary projects that require additional staffing. This lets you explore a company without committing yourself completely. (Re-orgs, building moves, hardware replacements, collaboration tool migration (MS to Google, IBM to MS, etc)

For small companies, they want to keep costs low. However, these can be a great stepping stone into getting experience prior to applying to a more corporate role.

Also don't assume that the education is a guarantee of placement. You will want to have some self-taught skills beyond the curriculum, otherwise you won't stand out too much from other cert/degree holders.

Nothing really stops you from obtaining those certifications at any time. Just the risk of failing and eating the cost. And keep in mind that most certs have a shelf life of 2-3 years, then they must be re-taken. Not always necessary at most jobs.

Solution

Evvvvv

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017

For SysAdmin you need experience and knowledge. I'd go for MCS-A cert, for Windows Servers. Also from my experience you need to know about VMWare. SysAdmin is a huge area so do one thing at a time. :)