Question AM5 bent pins, Are these severe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abdo shniba

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2012
Hey guys

I got an Asus rog strix b650e-e motherboard for a great discount I didn't want to pass on, I'm yet to receive my 7800x3d.

When I took a look at the pins some of them seems to be somewhat misaligned, this is my first time working with this socket, can you tell of it's fine or not?

Also there is a missing pin "I think" third one from the bottom right, I checked the pinout and its a debug pin " is it important?"

Problem is I was away for work and missed the return window, cpu is coming in two days and I'm really scared😨

I hope the pics are clear.

20230525-164456.jpg

20230525-165300.jpg
20230525-164405.jpg
Screenshot-20230525-165348-Chrome.jpg

D

Deleted member 2838871

What kind of a deal was it? Too good to be true?

I see what you are talking about. I see 3 different locations that look "off" to me... but I'm no expert and can't say if you will have issues or not...

Reactions: Abdo shniba
D

Deleted member 2947362

unless you can get a pin or sewing needle and gently realign them without them snapping, need a good magnifying glass though and steady hand lol.

As for the missing pin not sure if it will make any difference to the function of the CPU or not.

I have snapped one before but it was more or less folded in half.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2947362

Just be aware if you try and realign them they need only the slightest touch to move them they are a bit spriggy but normally just two maybe three lite touches/nudges will correct the issue.

The worst case is if they have a crease then they are likely to snap but normally they are just a little flexed which is easy to correct if you have a steady, hand sowing needle to gently nudge with and good magnifying glass.

If any of them are folded It's game over for putting them back in the correct position.

Abdo shniba

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2012
What kind of a deal was it? Too good to be true?

I see what you are talking about. I see 3 different locations that look "off" to me... but I'm no expert and can't say if you will have issues or not...
I got it for $220 instead of the regular $350

unless you can get a pin or sowing needle and gently realign them without them snapping, need a good magnifying glass though and steady hand lol.

As for the missing pin not sure if it will make any difference to the function of the CPU or not?

I have snapped one before but it was more or less folded in half.

Just be aware if you try and realign them they need only the slightest touch to move them they are a bit spriggy but normally just two maybe three lite touches/nudges will correct the issue.

The worst case is if they have a crease then they are likely to snap but normally they are just a little flexed which is easy to correct if you have a steady, hand sowing needle to gently nudge with and good magnifying glass.

If any of them are folded It's game over for putting them back in the correct position.

I tried to fix them a bit, they all seem aligned now, well except for that 3rd pin I talked about, turned out it wasn't missing just tucked inside, I managed to get it out but I wont try to fix it more as it seems a bit bent from the middle, I hope when I put the cpu i aligne to the correct position.

Here is a picture of socket parts, the firs is the bottom half where the third pin was "now 3rd one from left bottom in the first column, you can see it's abit further than the rest

20230526-054451.jpg

And here is the top half of the socket
20230526-054158.jpg

What do you guys think 🤔? Will it work? hopefully 🤞.

D

Deleted member 2947362

I got it for $220 instead of the regular $350

I tried to fix them a bit, they all seem aligned now, well except for that 3rd pin I talked about, turned out it wasn't missing just tucked inside, I managed to get it out but I wont try to fix it more as it seems a bit bent from the middle, I hope when I put the cpu i aligne to the correct position.

Here is a picture of socket parts, the firs is the bottom half where the third pin was "now 3rd one from left bottom in the first column, you can see it's abit further than the rest

20230526-054451.jpg

And here is the top half of the socket
20230526-054158.jpg

What do you guys think 🤔? Will it work? hopefully 🤞.
looks good to me, Nice Job/work you done recovering the pins positions.

Oh I better add DO NOT be tempted to move the pin that was stuck down anymore than you already have.

with any luck once the CPU is in position and locked in the pressure should help sort it out, at worse the pin may snap but be held in position by the CPU holding the connection between the pin and CPU's little gold pad.

The pin does look awfully close to the bottom left pin left of it, just be as gentle as you possibly can when inserting the CPU maybe at an slight degree angle\tilt to the pin, as so when the CPU's pads lay on the pins it's sort of pushing the pin that its close away from the pin below it's on it's bottom left .... if you get what I mean.

But hopefully it should be OK.

In fact looking even closer, I know I said don't be tempted BUT it does not appear to have any folding so I would just try to nudge it up away from the pin that's to its bottom left a tiny bit more just to make sure, if it feels lose rather than springgy just leave it and ignore this.

Either way you don't want the pins to touch each other and short as I don't know what damage if any could be caused to the CPU and already damaged socket, sorry to say it like that but it's just be prepared for the worst out come I guess if things don't go as they should.

I cant help but keep looking It NEEDS to be nudged up as it look as if it may short with the pin to it's bottom left once the CPU has applied pressure to the pins when it's seated.

If you get a sowing needle and lightly press down on any of the pins so they are in their fully seated position then you will see what I mean.

Try the pin that's slightly out of alignment, if you gently press it down, see if it seats in its correct position like one of the pin's that's has not needed to be corrected.

If when your press the pin down it naturally tries to move in away that would make it touch the pin to its bottom left it will have to be nudged up a fraction more.

Abdo shniba

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2012
Result actually looks quite good.

Thank you

looks good to me, Nice Job/work you done recovering the pins positions.

Oh I better add DO NOT be tempted to move the pin that was stuck down anymore than you already have.

with any luck once the CPU is in position and locked in the pressure should help sort it out, at worse the pin may snap but be held in position by the CPU holding the connection between the pin and CPU's little gold pad.

The pin does look awfully close to the bottom left pin left of it, just be as gentle as you possibly can when inserting the CPU maybe at an slight degree angle\tilt to the pin, as so when the CPU's pads lay on the pins it's sort of pushing the pin that its close away from the pin below it's on it's bottom left .... if you get what I mean.

But hopefully it should be OK.

In fact looking even closer, I know I said don't be tempted BUT it does not appear to have any folding so I would just try to nudge it up away from the pin that's to its bottom left a tiny bit more just to make sure, if it feels lose rather than springgy just leave it and ignore this.

Either way you don't want the pins to touch each other and short as I don't know what damage if any could be caused to the CPU and already damaged socket, sorry to say it like that but it's just be prepared for the worst out come I guess if things don't go as they should.

I cant help but keep looking It NEEDS to be nudged up as it look as if it may short with the pin to it's bottom left once the CPU has applied pressure to the pins when it's seated.

If you get a sowing needle and lightly press down on any of the pins so they are in their fully seated position then you will see what I mean.

Try the pin that's slightly out of alignment, if you gently press it down, see if it seats in its correct position like one of the pin's that's has not needed to be corrected.

If when your press the pin down it naturally tries to move in away that would make it touch the pin to its bottom left it will have to be nudged up a fraction more.
Thank for your input, I appreciate it, I'll take it to a famous repair shop here in my area, they call him the god father of technology 🤣, he has microscope and the proper tools to adjust the last pin, I won't take the risk myself using the needle I used 😅.

I'll do as you said and put it gently.

Fingers crossed 🤞

D

Deleted member 2947362

Thank you

Thank for your input, I appreciate it, I'll take it to a famous repair shop here in my area, they call him the god father of technology 🤣, he has microscope and the proper tools to adjust the last pin, I won't take the risk myself using the needle I used 😅.

I'll do as you said and put it gently.

Fingers crossed 🤞
Ask them just to double check another 3 maybe 4 pins just below the pin that is not fully aligned just to be sure they are nudged up enough so when pins are in their fully compressed state they are sitting in their own tiny contained space.

If you can look/see closely enough you will notice when the pin is in it's fully compressed state it's sit's in own tiny holder so the arm part can not slip/move in any direction allowing the tip (ball end) to touch the pad of the CPU without the risk of the pins arm coming out of alignment with CPU's pad. the arm part is kind of counter sunk in to the socket housing allowing the tip to act as a spring load ball.

Think that's how it meant to work from what I can see/make of the design of these sockets when trying to align pins.

Abdo shniba

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2012
Ask them just to double check another 3 maybe 4 pins just below the pin that is not fully aligned just to be sure they are nudged up enough so when pins are in their fully compressed state they are sitting in their own tiny contained space.

If you can look/see closely enough you will notice when the pin is in it's fully compressed state it's sit's in own tiny holder so the arm part can not slip/move in any direction allowing the tip (ball end) to touch the pad of the CPU without the risk of the pins arm coming out of alignment with CPU's pad. the arm part is kind of counter sunk in to the socket housing allowing the tip to act as a spring load ball.

Think that's how it meant to work from what I can see/make of the design of these sockets when trying to align pins.

Thanks for your advice, Inget what you mean

How is it looking from this angle? sorry about the photo orientation, its the 3rd pin from the top right now.
20230526-052943.jpg

D

Deleted member 2947362

Looks a little crushed in it's position from this angle might be ok it's hard to say.

It looks at a bit of an abrupt angle pointing up which might indicate there could be a fold/crease further down the arm of the pin I wouldn't risk moving it about just place CPU in carefully (keep fingers crossed a little all goes well)

Abdo shniba

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2012
Looks a little crushed in it's position from this angle might be ok it's hard to say.

It looks at a bit of an abrupt angle pointing up which might indicate there could be a fold/crease further down the arm of the pin I wouldn't risk moving it about just place CPU in carefully (keep fingers crossed a little all goes well)
I double checked the AM5 diagram, it's a vcc pin, I don't know how much important that is, but 🤞.

Abdo shniba

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2012
Hey guys

Just wanted to update you, I installed the cpu and the pc started normal right away, no problem so far "knock on wood" everything seems normal, I'm relieved now.

Only problem I have is that I can't install Ryzen Master, which it's a problem so many people are having.

Status
Not open for further replies.