Amazon Kindle Smartphone Delayed Over Design Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
Back in December 2013, reports emerged claiming that Amazon had placed an order with Foxconn for five million units of a Kindle-branded smartphone. Is this some kinda article from the future?

lindethier

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
I don't see why Amazon would want to get into the smartphone business. They already provide most of their big name apps across many of the different mobile operating systems, so I don't see what they would provide that would set them apart from the rest. Why would they want the additional costs associated with providing support for them?

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I got a kindle fire HD--I was excited about finally having proper access to Amazon Prime streaming/videos on my tablet device, as well as the nice integration of text books with audio books. But even after having that, I would still not say that it's worth it... I don't really care about the "in your face" advertisements that most people seem to be vehemently against. But the device gets HORRIBLY laggy. Something is definitely up with their OS software that resides on top of ICS, because I see no reason to think that with the relatively simple things this tablet allows you to do, why there should be such slowdowns (the mail app is the worst, but it's generally system-wide).

That being said, after my experiences with the KFHD, and how the abilities of the user are sequestered, I would not be interested in any sort of amazon smartphone if it behaves similarly to their tablets.

[citation][nom]lindethier[/nom]I don't see why Amazon would want to get into the smartphone business. They already provide most of their big name apps across many of the different mobile operating systems, so I don't see what they would provide that would set them apart from the rest. Why would they want the additional costs associated with providing support for them?[/citation]
Probably because they want access to a higher-level of user habits and behaviors. Unless you do something from within one of their apps (or on one of their main browser websites), they don't have access to that bit of user info from you. Having a phone that is "purely" theirs would essentially give them access to ALL of the user's habits, so they can have a more-complete ad-targeting platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.