[SOLVED] Amber light on Xfi gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Time 2 Kill

Honorable
Jul 30, 2015
I have had this light green(gig connection) for the longest time and it has turned amber(100mbps connection). i have had and fixed this issue before but have not had the same luck this go around so this is the last resort. I pay for 400 mbps and usually get 350+ but now I'm capped at 100 due to this issue and i8 do believe I have a cat5e or cat 6 cable hence I had a steady gig connection before.
Things I have tried:
restart modem(multiple times)
factory reset modem
uninstalling/reinstall ethernet from pc
reset pc network settings
checking for driver updates(all up to date)
unplugging and replugging in multiple different orders
checked both ends of cable for any misplacements of connections or damage and has none

Edit: I found on the cable that it is cat6

Last edited:
Solution
I can be as simple as the metal expanding and contracting due to small heat changes. Over time the contact between the wire and the pins in the plug can work loose. It is such a tiny amount you can not even see it if you could some how get into the plug. I could be other things also, you can crack the copper metal if the cable was jerked but that is kinda rare.

In any case you have already done the only software thing you can do and that is update the driver. The speed itself though is not done by software it is all in the hardware chips. All the software can do is try to force a speed.

So you now have either bad port in the router, bad port in the pc, or a bad cable. I guess if you are really convinced your cable is...
Where is this cable between the modem and router or between the router and your PC.

There basically no settings in most routers. Your PC make sure it is still set to auto. Trying to force it to gigabit can actually cause it to drop to 100mbps....and even worse it might run half duplex.

The speed a connection runs is a hardware voltage thing that the chips negotiate. Now I guess you could have a bad port but in almost all cases the problem is a cable. You can not tell by looking at them, the wire may have just slightly detached from the back of the pin inside the plug.

A new cable unless it is very long tends to be the cheapest thing to try. If you have wall jacks in the path it is going to be more complex to fix the one that is defective.

Make sure you buy quality cables. You only need cat5e but be sure the cable is pure copper wire (no CCA) and check that the wire size is 22-24 (no flat or thin cables)

Time 2 Kill

Honorable
Jul 30, 2015
Where is this cable between the modem and router or between the router and your PC.

There basically no settings in most routers. Your PC make sure it is still set to auto. Trying to force it to gigabit can actually cause it to drop to 100mbps....and even worse it might run half duplex.

The speed a connection runs is a hardware voltage thing that the chips negotiate. Now I guess you could have a bad port but in almost all cases the problem is a cable. You can not tell by looking at them, the wire may have just slightly detached from the back of the pin inside the plug.

A new cable unless it is very long tends to be the cheapest thing to try. If you have wall jacks in the path it is going to be more complex to fix the one that is defective.

Make sure you buy quality cables. You only need cat5e but be sure the cable is pure copper wire (no CCA) and check that the wire size is 22-24 (no flat or thin cables)

I made sure it is set to auto and it worked fine when I first used it then it changed and I fixed it and now it is happening again. there is nothing between the cable and the modem and the cable is kind of idiot-proof in the sense of it is all encapsulated in plastic so I can't pull any of the pins even if I tried and it's a thick quality cable so I'm positive it's not the cable.

I can be as simple as the metal expanding and contracting due to small heat changes. Over time the contact between the wire and the pins in the plug can work loose. It is such a tiny amount you can not even see it if you could some how get into the plug. I could be other things also, you can crack the copper metal if the cable was jerked but that is kinda rare.

In any case you have already done the only software thing you can do and that is update the driver. The speed itself though is not done by software it is all in the hardware chips. All the software can do is try to force a speed.

So you now have either bad port in the router, bad port in the pc, or a bad cable. I guess if you are really convinced your cable is good you could buy a new pcie or USB3 ethernet port for your PC. Most people try the cable first since it is much less expensive.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.