Ambigious PC problem need input.

Nov 4, 2018
hello first time poster hope this is in the right category.

Specs

Ryzen 5 1600

MSI b350 tomahawk

Corsair vengence lpx 3000mhz 16gb

Msi aero gtx 1070

Evga 850w fully modular gold

Samsung evo 860 1tb ssd

Toshiba 2tb hdd

so my problem began about 2 days ago. my PC randomly wouldn't give me a display nor did i have power to my usb ports. went to restart and i wouldn't get a post screen. none of my LED debug mobo lights where on.

after searching for troubleshooting solutions, i reseated my ram, used only one stick of ram and the problem persisted. i made sure my 8 pin and 24 pin connectors were properly inserted no solution. my fans would power up, both case and cpu my gpu light was on, and my mobo lights were on.

my psu fan would spin so i ruled out a bad psu. nothing seemed to solve my issue. so i leave my pc with psu disconnected and the psu switch off, i come back the next day and continue to try and figure out my problem. i decide to disconnect both my ssd and hdd i power up and i get into BIOS. i restart and connect my SSD and i get into windows i do the same for the HDD and it works fine. i then reapply my back cover to my case and it went back to no monitor signal and no usb power so i think it must be a short ill re manage my cables.

after doing so i go back to boot up and the same thing happens black screen keyboard and mouse wont light up. i even tried removing my CMOS battery to no avail. so i unplug the psu again and turn the switch off i let it sit for about an hour or so and boot up with both drives and the issue persists. i then go to only boot with SSD and well im typing this thread on my pc.

could my problem have been a short with the back cover?

why would my pc work only after leaving the psu disconnected and switch off for a long amount of time?

could my HDD that doesn't have the OS on it prevent me from booting up if it were bad.

sorry for the shitty format and bad punctuation thank you for your time and for the input.

I would take it ALL out, and test on the bench/countertop/desk. Benchtest it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1753671/bench-troubleshooting.html

If that doesn't turn up anything then I'd maybe pull the CPU to make sure there are no bent pins OR check the mounting pressure of the CPU cooler, which by the way you didn't list so I have no idea if it's a water cooler or air. Sometimes an overly tight CPU cooler can tweak the CPU the wrong way especially, but not only if, one corner or side is tighter than the others. That can cause pins to either lose contact if the CPU gets slightly cocked in the socket or short a pin on something it shouldn't be touching.

I'd also make sure the CPU cooler backplate is 100% right. If it's installed upside down it could be touching something on the back of the motherboard but might not be evident until you put the back cover on. If there are cables in between the cover and the backplate, or anything that might add some pressure there, it could be a problem.

Bench testing is the best way to be sure it's not something like that OR that you maybe didn't accidentally allow a loose screw to get in between the motherboard and the motherboard tray section of the case when you installed the board.

Also, if the HDD had windows on it at any time in the past, it could have a hidden boot partition still on it that is causing a conflict with the boot partition on the SSD and confusing the heck out of the boot manager. Just deleting or formatting the C:\ partition on a drive that previously had Windows installed on it is not enough. You need to use a partition manager and make sure there are no boot or EFI partitions on that hard drive.

Nov 4, 2018

Nov 4, 2018
I have a noctua air cooler. It's the nhsu12s. I will try that. The hdd did have windows on it in the past I salvaged that from an old build. I will def take everything apart tomorrow at some time and do an out of box bench test. I hope that's what you mean as this is the first pc I build and I don't have any additional components.