AMD 1090FX, 1070 Chipset Info Leaked; Missing PCIe 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I'm a fan (though not a fanboy) of AMD but this still disappoints me. Why do they wait so long to pickup the newer standards on chip instead of third party...?!? I want AMD to succeed so bad but... How many SATA ports do we really need?!? If we need a dozen drives, we'd likely have some sort of RAID controller anyhow for off-chip handling anyhow. For a performance rig, half a dozen is plenty for most any user. Give us PCI 3... 16X crossfire might be interesting but where's the real advantage over 8x... Have to wait for those benchmarks... But I'm not as excited considering the differences from 4-8 were minimal already.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
If I remembered correctly, HD5870 running in Crossfire on two 8x PCI E 2.0 would encounter bandwidth limit (roughly performs about 93%?) So if they have 2x PCI E @ 16x each, with current gen, shouldnt they be still good for a while? unless one wants to run two of 6990s in cross fire...

correct me please. Thanks

Yep - PCI-E 3 isn't really needed yet, however I am still shocked. Normally marketing like to have the latest and greatest as it looks good in the advertisements, even if not really important. I hope they aren't losing enthusiasm for the enthusiast market.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
Usually when PCI Express goes to the next version, the performance gain is like 1-3% due to the extra burst performance capability. It's not going to be a big deal for at least 1-2 years, so I don't blame them for not focusing on that right-away.

Yeah PCIe 3.0 will be just a marketing term for the next two years give or take. Current cards can barely use 8x, much less 16x bandwidth for 2.0. It'll be just like when they want from PCI to AGP 1.0, and from AGP 8x to PCIe, hardware usage will take a few years to catch up.

beenthere

Distinguished
There is no present or near term need for PCIe 3.0. It's just a marketing ploy for those who don't know better. When it's actually needed AMD will incorporate it into it's chipsets.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
And that's what everyone said about 2... A year or so later benefits to 2 were very obvious. And even enthusiasts, I know few who keep their motherboards less then a year... They spend more on the better board cause that's going to be their base for quite a few upgrades. This is AMD's problem... And every single system in my home (8 right now) is AMD right now accept the wife's laptop. But they don't look ahead far enough. This is why they are always playing catchup, save the early Athlon 64 era. Build it ready for the future...

[citation][nom]beenthere[/nom]There is no present or near term need for PCIe 3.0. It's just a marketing ploy for those who don't know better. When it's actually needed AMD will incorporate it into it's chipsets.[/citation]
its not a marketing ploy. Do you want to end up like one of those people with a pcie 1.x slot that doesnt work with a pcie 2.1 card? I dont, so i would get the pcie-3, if not for added bandwidth, then for future compatability. Not to mention boards running an 8x/8x pcie setup with pcie3 gives them the effective bandwidth of a 2.0 16x/16x slot, so not such a need for the 16x slots on expensive motherboards. I agree with gladosiri, fix bulldozer, then think about motherboards.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]its not a marketing ploy. Do you want to end up like one of those people with a pcie 1.x slot that doesnt work with a pcie 2.1 card? I dont, so i would get the pcie-3, if not for added bandwidth, then for future compatability. Not to mention boards running an 8x/8x pcie setup with pcie3 gives them the effective bandwidth of a 2.0 16x/16x slot, so not such a need for the 16x slots on expensive motherboards. I agree with gladosiri, fix bulldozer, then think about motherboards.[/citation]
Exactly... I wasn't as clear perhaps, but this is what I was trying to get acrossed... And yes, though I didn't mention it. BD was a big letdown... And their other current business decisions in the market also frighten me in terms of end-consumer future prospect if Intel runs away with a huge lead... (Not to mention what Intel would do with their prices... It amazes me some people think that nothing would change if Intel was the only game in town...)

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
What is the big deal with this new chipset ?, I don't see anything new that would improve our present experience/performance with the actual chipset 99fx
. Even those chipset from Intel that are even more pci lanes limted, have good enough or equal perfomance that those from amd.

Except you'll most likely be replacing your board anyway in two years. PCIe 3.0 cards are backwards compatible with 2.0, there is no current plans of making cards that are incompatible. The only significant difference is bandwidth per lane, 3.0 has 2x the bandwidth per lane that 2.0 has. A 16x 2.0 slot will perform identically to a 8x 3.0 slot, we're just now seeing 8x being fully utilized. The CPU to GPU bandwidth requirement would have to quadruple in the next two to three years before you'd see any benefit from a 3.0 interface. Somehow I highly doubt this will happen. Now three+ years out we might be needing it, my crystal ball doesn't go much past 3~5 years in general though.

Basically anyone buying a product for PCIe 3.0 ~now~ is buying a marketing slogan only. They'll just replace their boards in a few years anyway to get whatever cool new "feature" is present at that time. So buy a PCIe 3.0 board now, or a PCIe 3.0 board in two~three years, the results will be the same.

I suppose AMD decided to hold off supporting a new technology until it can demonstrate need for it. I do remember a few months back that Tom's explored PCIe bandwidth saturation with multiple cards; I can't remember the result from it, but I do think PCIe 3.0 is going to be needed a whole lot sooner than AMD thinks.

Sequences

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
One would think that new boards should try to integrate the newer stuff on the market. For the consumer's sake, I hope AMD doesn't start sucking too bad. =\

Ahh but in a few years the board would be replaced with another one that had a mature PCIe 3.0 implementation.

The point is that you won't be using the brand new shiny PCIe 3.0 slots for those two years, they would exist in name only. Then right when you'd actually be seeing a difference you'll just be buying another board to get new features / CPU support or whatever.

beenthere

Distinguished
Folks there is NO new technology here. The PCIe 3.0 is an industry standard for which there is no need or use yet. It probably won't go into use for 2-3 years at least. You could not use it even if you had it.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]beenthere[/nom]Folks there is NO new technology here. The PCIe 3.0 is an industry standard for which there is no need or use yet. It probably won't go into use for 2-3 years at least. You could not use it even if you had it.[/citation]
Isn't the 7000 series and 600 GPUs coming out next year going to use the 3.0? Not trying to mock you, this is a serious question that I'm curious about.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]its not a marketing ploy. Do you want to end up like one of those people with a pcie 1.x slot that doesnt work with a pcie 2.1 card?[/citation]

Um..PCI-E 2.1 grpahics cards are compatible with PCI-E 1.x slots.

Everyone saying PCI 3.0 is a marketing slogan needs to remember some SSD solutions on PCIE would gladly eat up the PCIE 3.0 bandwidth. This is a niche market but remember PICE isnt just for graphics cards.

beenthere

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ikyung[/nom]Isn't the 7000 series and 600 GPUs coming out next year going to use the 3.0? Not trying to mock you, this is a serious question that I'm curious about.[/citation]

No the 7000 series cards will not be PCIe 3.0. Don't you think AMD would make their mobos fully capable of supporting their Video cards?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
No PCIe 3.0? My first reaction was disappointment and scorn. But as I thought about it, it became clear that it really wouldn't matter.

Why? Because the only cards in 2012 that will benefit from PCIe 3.0 will be the higher-end models. And anyone buying those isn't going to handicap them by using a Bulldozer, anyhow.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
3.0 is unnecessary, but I can't see why they would have their graphice cards support 3.0 while their motherboards doesn't. That's shooting yourself in the foot, along the consumer mindframe, anyway. (3.0 is new and must be necessary!)

Status
Not open for further replies.