amd 3200 xp cpu question

I have a 3200 xp cpu and windows system info reports it is running at 1.8
Gigs. It's in an elitegroup L7VMM3 mainboard.

A google search on the cpu said in a review that the 3200 runs at 2.25 Gigs.

If the review is correct, is it possible to make it go faster in my system,
and if so, how is it done?

TIA

Allen

> A google search on the cpu said in a review that the 3200 runs at 2.25 Gigs.

In that case, the FSB would be 166 MHz and the multiplier 13,5.

> ... windows system info reports it is running at 1.8 Gigs.

OK. If that's correct then in that case, either the FSB is set wrong, or
the multiplier is set wrong.

Let's assume the FSB is only set at 133 MHz. Now multiply by 13,5.

=> 1799,99 MHz.

Seems right to assume that that is the problem - your FSB is set too
low, at 133 Mhz instead of 166 Mhz.

> It's in an elitegroup L7VMM3 mainboard.

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?MenuID=16&LanID=0&DetailID=418&DetailName=Specification

The ECS website tells u that this motherboard only supports FSB's of
100 and 133 MHz. This supports the assumption that that was the
problem.

> If the review is correct, is it possible to make it go faster in my system,
> and if so, how is it done?

If you can't raise the FSB, then see if you can raise the multiplier.

You would need a multiplier of: 2.25 Ghz / 133 MHz = 16,9.

So you could choose 16,5 in your BIOS or, if you don't mind overclocking
a little, 17.

Hope that helps.

Bas Ruiter wrote:

>>A google search on the cpu said in a review that the 3200 runs at 2.25 Gigs.
>

> In that case, the FSB would be 166 MHz and the multiplier 13,5.
>

>>... windows system info reports it is running at 1.8 Gigs.
>

> OK. If that's correct then in that case, either the FSB is set wrong, or
> the multiplier is set wrong.
>
> Let's assume the FSB is only set at 133 MHz. Now multiply by 13,5.
>
> => 1799,99 MHz.
>
> Seems right to assume that that is the problem - your FSB is set too
> low, at 133 Mhz instead of 166 Mhz.
>

>>It's in an elitegroup L7VMM3 mainboard.
>

> http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?MenuID=16&LanID=0&DetailID=418&DetailName=Specification
>
> The ECS website tells u that this motherboard only supports FSB's of
> 100 and 133 MHz. This supports the assumption that that was the
> problem.
>

>>If the review is correct, is it possible to make it go faster in my system,
>>and if so, how is it done?
>

> If you can't raise the FSB, then see if you can raise the multiplier.
>
> You would need a multiplier of: 2.25 Ghz / 133 MHz = 16,9.
>
> So you could choose 16,5 in your BIOS or, if you don't mind overclocking
> a little, 17.
>

> Hope that helps.

Good luck since they're locked nowdays. Not to mention I seriously doubt an
ECS motherboard is going to have multiplier settings anyway.

In article <lZGdnerxYfVww7zcRVn-hg@comcast.com>, !Allen Lasting says...
> I have a 3200 xp cpu and windows system info reports it is running at 1.8
> Gigs. It's in an elitegroup L7VMM3 mainboard.
>
> A google search on the cpu said in a review that the 3200 runs at 2.25 Gigs.
>
> If the review is correct, is it possible to make it go faster in my system,
> and if so, how is it done?

THe 3200 uses a 200MHz FSB.

--
Conor

Do gooders are your most dangerous enemies. Never turn your back on the
devious bastards.