Question AMD 5800x CPU not cooling even with appropriate cooling setup.

Aug 18, 2024
I have an AMD Ryzen 5800X along with a decent cooling setup in a Lian Li O11 cabinet.

I'm using a Lian Li Galahad 360 AIO ( Liquid cooling with 3x 120 mm fans) (Link) and 3 fans (120mm) on the side set to inlay and bottom 3 fans (120mm) set to exhaust. Everything except my CPU seems to run at normal temperatures. But even when idle my CPU is at 65-75 degrees Celsius and when I start a game it goes to 90-100 degrees and randomly restarts PC after some time.
I checked the AIO liquid cooling pipes and one of the two pipes is very hot and has vibrations while the other pipe is cold with minimal vibrations. I've tried forcibly running all fans at 100% using Fan Control but that didn't change the temperature gradient at all. Also room temperature is 24 degrees. I've recently changed the thermal paste twice. (Arctic MX4)

Can someone please suggest what might be broken in the system? I live in a place without any good hardware shops so am unable to send it for repair.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds like the pump is cactus, that's the risk you take with aio unfortunately. Your cpu can be cooled by air quite comfortably. If you don't want to go through this again then i suggest a good air cooler, Noctua U12a or D15s chromax. Noctua are pricier than others but do have the best mounting system.

Reactions: geofelt
I have an AMD Ryzen 5800X along with a decent cooling setup in a Lian Li O11 cabinet.

I'm using a Lian Li Galahad 360 AIO ( Liquid cooling with 3x 120 mm fans) (Link) and 3 fans (120mm) on the side set to inlay and bottom 3 fans (120mm) set to exhaust. Everything except my CPU seems to run at normal temperatures. But even when idle my CPU is at 65-75 degrees Celsius and when I start a game it goes to 90-100 degrees and randomly restarts PC after some time.
I checked the AIO liquid cooling pipes and one of the two pipes is very hot and has vibrations while the other pipe is cold with minimal vibrations. I've tried forcibly running all fans at 100% using Fan Control but that didn't change the temperature gradient at all. Also room temperature is 24 degrees. I've recently changed the thermal paste twice. (Arctic MX4)

Can someone please suggest what might be broken in the system? I live in a place without any good hardware shops so am unable to send it for repair.
What about pump speed ? It's more important than fans.

Reactions: Paperdoc

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I do not think your pump has failed. You report that "one of the two pipes is very hot and has vibrations while the other pipe is cold with minimal vibrations". I presume you mean how they feel AT THE PUMP end of those hoses. The fact that they are quite DIFFERENT says that there IS flow of liquid from the pump out to the rad and returning. HOWEVER, the temp difference between them should NOT be large. THAT is what indicates that the flow rate around the loop is too low so that the fluid in the pump gets too hot before being sent to the rad to be cooled. As CountMike said above, that points to PUMP SPEED.

There is a small "trick" to how such systems are to be connected, and how the fan headers need to be configured, and this detail too often is NOT shown in any manual. To help you with exact details, we need to know the maker and exact model of mobo you have so we can tell you what to adjust. We also need to know which mobo fan headers you have used to plug in the PUMP, and also for the RAD FANS.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
By the way, having your three exhaust fans installed in the case BOTTOM is uncommon. Most people would have mounted them in the top. But that is NOT the primary cause of your problem, so we'll concentrate first on the very poor cooling by the AIO.