AMD 64 processors

Can anyone tell me in simple terms what the difference is between the two
AMD processors, the Opteron and the 64, other than the number of pins.

It also seems that the Opteron is the only one that will fit dual boards.

Many thanks in advance.

the_gnome

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 17:24:12 +0000, the gnome wrote:

> Can anyone tell me in simple terms what the difference is between the two
> AMD processors, the Opteron and the 64, other than the number of pins.

Opteron and AMD64 FX have dual channel memory controller. Must use
registered ram with ALL Opterons and all but newer socket 939 FX's.
There's also different Opterons for different configs, 1, 2, 4, and 8 way
CPU's. The standard 64 are only single channel and doesn't require
registered ram.

> It also seems that the Opteron is the only one that will fit dual
> boards.

Well, you can put FX's on it, but they won't work in dual mode.
www.amd.com