AMD 890GX Unveiled: Three Motherboards Compared

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]rodeo_clown[/nom]Just got an Asus M4A89GTD Pro... one problem: no good drivers for installing Win 7 x64 on a Raid 0 setup. The supplied drivers only work for the x32 windows version, the x64 drivers don't recognize nada. Ah well... it's always like this at launchtime. Other than that, great MB, highly recomanding it.[/citation]

Check AMD again...and again...and again? They had prerelease drivers for the testers so it seems like they'd publish something rather quickly.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I've never known motherboards to be that much of a factor in system performance. It's what you can plug into them, what they support in other words - That's what matters. At least for us people who would rather spend more on quality CPU/RAM/HD/GFX-Cards than on over-clocking equipment.

That is where the true tau of computing pleasure lies. Expensive electronics are a lie! Set yourself free!

lol

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]The_Trutherizer[/nom]I've never known motherboards to be that much of a factor in system performance.[/citation] ixnay on the erformancepay! Seriously, there needs to be SOME kind of test in the review.

pinkfloydminnesota

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
How well does the 890 overclock? There was a pretty decent sized overclocking gap between the 790 G/F/nullX and the 780G, does the 890 widen this gap?

Also it'd be nice to know if the included cables are Sata III instead of II, which we don't have "lying around".

G

try it again with a 6 core cpu ... windows 7 64 ... or linux 64 .....
the results always are going to be questionable using an Intel compiler ...
use linux 64 ... full details on graphics ....

imran_t

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Can you please us a 5450 and see how much of a performance increase it provides. Every review for this motherboard doesn't actually review the IGP or Dual Graphics features.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]imran_t[/nom]Can you please us a 5450 and see how much of a performance increase it provides. Every review for this motherboard doesn't actually review the IGP or Dual Graphics features.[/citation]

There's a brief overview of graphics performance in this article, just enough to show what the game potential is.

discboy321

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
I just got done building my 1st pc with the "Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H" I love it. It was a breeze to work with. I am glad as I will use the mobo in another build also !

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]randomkid[/nom]Looks like I am going to stick with my MSI 790FX-GD70 even if I plan to get an X6 1090T as soon as it becomes available from where I am.[/citation]
It's a great board, you should look for a BIOS update to support the X6 CPU.

randomkid

Distinguished

It is. X6 is now officially supported with this motherboard. Official BIOS was released in April 9, 2010 even before the X6 is out in retail. :)

Cespenar

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Late last year you rated 7 AMD boards that would have to use Crossfire, if wanted.
Now you rate 3 more AMD boards that can only use Crossfire, if wanted.
Where the heck is nVidia going?
Is it finished?
With 2 excellent 8800GTX's I want to SLI for years to come.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]cespenar[/nom]Late last year you rated 7 AMD boards that would have to use Crossfire, if wanted.Now you rate 3 more AMD boards that can only use Crossfire, if wanted.Where the heck is nVidia going?Is it finished?With 2 excellent 8800GTX's I want to SLI for years to come.[/citation]
NVidia is at war with AMD.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

You're missing the point. AMD is at war with Nvidia, so Nvidia doesn't support SLI on AMD chipsets.

Cespenar

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
You know, I just posted on the piracy issue over consoles and other rubbish.
Typical of the money-grabbers.
It is fine to be rich, but these companies are kicking their customers in the guts.
On one hand, the companies are complaining about their customers and on the other, they are saying b****r off, we are busy pleasing ourselves.

randomkid

Distinguished

Oh yeah I missed that. But continuing with the question, it appears nVidia is on the losing end the since the lack of SLI capable AMD boards will force people to go ATI GPU's. Double loss actually since they lose on the chipset, they lose on the GPU. Is nVidia intentionally not producing new chipsets for AMD or is it AMD somehow blocking nVIdia chipset?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

I don't see how AMD would be blocking it, since Nvidia already has Socket AM3 compatible chipsets. It's more likely that Nvidia believes the old models it already sells are adequate.

NucDsgr

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Performance of the 890GX with SB850 is very promising. Only will get better once the BIOS is straightened out.

I expect the 880G chipset to have similar performance. The ASUS ASUS M4A88TD-M/USB3 with the Athlon II Quad 610e and 8GB G.SKILL ECO Series DDR3 1600 1.35V memory would make a very efficient rig for multi-media.

randomkid

Distinguished

880G chipset? When did it come out? I only read about this now although the press has been out for this since December 2008 according to this but it seems AMD has been off by at least a Quarter:
http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-880g-chipset-details/6287.html
The features look cool, though...

NucDsgr

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006

Checkout the link friend

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/chipsets/8-series-integrated/Pages/amd-8-series-chipset-feature-comparison.aspx

The 880G is similar in capability to the 890GX except it allows for 1 PC 2.0 1x16 slot and no Cross-Fire. This chipset is mainly found on Micro-ATX mobos.

Good Day

Status
Not open for further replies.