AMD 890GX Unveiled: Three Motherboards Compared

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]mmbrajohan[/nom]how will a nvidia GTX 460 perform on this board? will i have trouble with drivers???[/citation]No. Install the chipset drivers first, then the graphics drivers, no problem.

dan_L

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
Asus announced in mid-March that this board will work with the forthcoming AMD Bulldozer CPUs that, according to initial reports, run 150% faster than comparable Intel Sandy Bridge CPUs. Now I can't vouch for the veracity of the speed tests, but the full article on compatibility with the new Bulldozer CPUs is at http://event.asus.com/2011/mb/AM3_PLUS_Ready/

The Bulldozer CPUs are also called AM3+ CPUs. This news is new as of late March 2011 and I doubt if resellers have had time to incorporate it into their product descriptions.

You will need to use the 3012 BIOS -- which Asus warns should be used only with AM3+ CPUs -- do NOT use an AM3 or AM2 CPU with this BIOS.

wardhealer

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
It seems to perform well considering the low cost The placement of the sata connectors was poorly designed. With the board mounted in mid-size ATX cases of the most common design, the connectors are impossible to access with only one side of the case opened. Once the sata cables are attached, they must be snaked through the outside of the mounting panel otherwise you would have to bend the cables to the breaking point to get them inside the case. One feature that attracted me to the board was that it has 8 SATA connectors (6 6GB and 2 3GB) I installed 2 IDE rives, 2 Blu Ray drives and 2 SATA hard drives and boot time from post to OS was acceptable, but adding one more drives (5 SATA devices) it slowed down the boot process considerably. When all 8 SATA channels populated, it would hang for up to 4 minutes at the beginning of the post process. XP x64.

Status
Not open for further replies.