AMD A-10 6700T HTPC Build Questions

messiahsquee

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
Hey Everyone,

Last time I asked a question here, it was super helpful - looking for help again.

I have an old A10-6700T processor, and I'd like to use it to build a HTPC cheaply, if that's possible.

Here is my build thus far:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/messiahsquee/saved/ThMZ8d

My questions are:

1) Is it possible to do passive cooling on this build, due to the 45w power consumption?
2) Will the integrated AMD Radeon HD 8650D be able to do video at 1080p - for playing Blu-Ray DVD's, Online Video Streaming?
3) Any suggestions for the build at all?

I'm looking to keep costs extra low - put this underneath the TV in my bedroom, and wireless KB+M to control it.

Leave it on 24/7, shutting down to clean dust every 30-45 days.

Thoughts?

Solution
1) Tough to say, but to be honest I can't think of any PC that's going to be able to really get by with passive cooling on the CPU (except maybe something using a 3-10W CPU, or possibly a low-power ARM). However, that cooler looks like it'll be quiet enough, so as long as the case has good airflow & you don't put it in a weird location (i.e. on top of a heating vent or a room radiator), it should be fine.

2) Yes, that should be no problem for it.

3) The only questionable part I'm seeing is the PSU included with the case. I'm assuming it's the same brand (Rosewill), & I suspect it's probably not highly rated as a PSU. You might be OK with it, especially without a dedicated GPU & for use as an HTPC, but keeping it on 24/7 is...

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
1) Tough to say, but to be honest I can't think of any PC that's going to be able to really get by with passive cooling on the CPU (except maybe something using a 3-10W CPU, or possibly a low-power ARM). However, that cooler looks like it'll be quiet enough, so as long as the case has good airflow & you don't put it in a weird location (i.e. on top of a heating vent or a room radiator), it should be fine.

2) Yes, that should be no problem for it.

3) The only questionable part I'm seeing is the PSU included with the case. I'm assuming it's the same brand (Rosewill), & I suspect it's probably not highly rated as a PSU. You might be OK with it, especially without a dedicated GPU & for use as an HTPC, but keeping it on 24/7 is going to be a long-term issue. If your budget can handle it, I'd consider getting the PSU separately from the case. You might have to also go higher on the wattage, but that just means the components will last longer.

Solution