AMD A10-4600M Review: Mobile Trinity Gets Tested

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Im thinking more along the lines of this is the first perspective view of piledriver core performance ... so if this is any indication as to what the desktop parts will look like .. im betting that amd will still be behind but not nearly as bad as it was before .. Im actually interested in seeing the desktop benches even more now .. looks like they picked up quite a bit more performance plus if im not mistaken this is only the laptop part so its handicapped to begin with.. it will be an interesting site to see what amd counters with .. they really need a big win to counter this slump intel has them in.. then again haveing bought into the 1090t setup id say intel is looking like the better buy but if i can save some cash and gain performance on piledriver ... i might go amd again.. if its anything like bulldozer is today then ill just go intel .. ftw..

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I have found that when you have 3 or more threads, the pinch points are not the CPU power or the CPU thread counts.

The pinch points are A) the amount of memory you can address and B) the amount/speed of your virtual memory.

I just put 16 GB of RAM on an A8-3500 laptop... Turned off the virtual memory... Runs like a dream, even on Firefox, and even with 20 open tabs... Assuming you use a 64 bit build...

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
[citation][nom]duckwithnukes[/nom]Wow. Leave it to Tomshardware to drop the ball on yet another mobile CPU review.... Where is the Intel HD 4000 vs. AMD Trinity comparison?Lazy reviewing at its finest.[/citation]
... yeah... where is it... the intel's HD4000 and A10 comparison... in performance and picture quality...

[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]I have found that when you have 3 or more threads, the pinch points are not the CPU power or the CPU thread counts. The pinch points are A) the amount of memory you can address and B) the amount/speed of your virtual memory.I just put 16 GB of RAM on an A8-3500 laptop... Turned off the virtual memory... Runs like a dream, even on Firefox, and even with 20 open tabs... Assuming you use a 64 bit build...[/citation]

It depends on the workload.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]It depends on the workload.[/citation]
Obveously, if you are running CS5 and NX5, and ArcGIS, your CPU CAN act as a pinch point. But even with oodles of Java windows and flash animations opened, I sooner come upon a physical memory limitation before my CPU comes to a crawl...

XmortisX

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Seems like the A10 is looking like a good APU, If they can bring this typre od versatility and performance to the Desktop variants then AMD is back in biz.

mykebrian

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
[citation][nom]neoverdugo[/nom]So this means that AMD can kick Intel's ass in the gpu department for the moment while AMD suffers greatly in the CPU portion of the apu battle. Didn't I said before that Intel is trying to make an (proprietary) Intel only PC with no third party strings attached? We all know that there is no competition in the CPU battle when it comes to Intel. Still, i would like to see that the morons of intel to drop the price of their hardware for once and for all and drop ridiculously low end hardware out of production.[/citation]
they won't drop the price unless you buy an amd cpu

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... winrar and 7-zip tests are ok... but where is the new winzip? The beta haz GPU acceleration...[/citation]

It's there, we tested it. And I believe it's a full release now, not just a beta.

Probably a good idea to read the review before commenting. ;)

[citation][nom]tourist[/nom]I have to keep telling myself this is mobile not desktop, reading this "First, the branch predictor was significantly re-vamped and split into a two-level structure. Keeping the instruction pipeline flowing is a critical job when performance is the target, and while AMD didn’t disclose anything more specific, it did make it clear that branch prediction plays a significant role." reaffirms what i have been saying about liano that there algorithm was holding ipc back not the stars architecture Is this why there is a rumoured 8core Phenom ll coming http://blog.lenzfire.com/2012/01/a [...] -have.htmlI also am not happy to see the 7660d as the top of the line for trinity as it has only 384 cores, 800 memory. Granted they are 2.0 and faster than lianos 400 1.0 cores and 600 memory. Hardly a reason to get excited over liano at this point for mobile buyers.I guess it is what amd wanted, many small steps to avoid a big blunder, and this is mobile apu's after all but desktop is going to be a interesting story. Virgo vs Vishera The best thing is amd did not stick there neck out by over selling and under performing.[/citation]

I'm pretty sure that Bulldozer's successor won't use the Phenom II brand name. It could use FX again, or maybe even Phenom III, but probably not Phenom II. I've seen that exact blog post several times ever since it came out and really, I've yet to see anything that backs up it's claim. That blog says that this Phenom II x8 is supposed to have a modular architecture, like Bulldozer, so it's probably wrong. Regardless, I'd be pretty surprised to see AMD making any Phenom II processors with more than six Stars cores anyway. Besides, Llano has Husky cores, not Stars. They are based on Stars, but they are not Stars. Besides, it's not like branch prediction was the only improvement made in the Piledriver cores anyway (it was important because of Bulldozer's, and now Piledriver's as well, long pipeline).

I do agree with you on that I'm surprised to see the A10s not more of a leap over the Llano A8s in graphical performance. I was expecting more.

[citation][nom]tourist[/nom]The only reason i am bringing P ll up is we have heard rumours that there will be a am3+ piledriver, is this the bone amd is going to throw at am3 and am3+ board owners ? This is the first iteration of piledriver and it will be interesting to see what desktop brings[/citation]

Piledriver looks like it will use the AM3+ socket like Bulldozer does.

Nice review as usual! Thanks!

I would add in the follow up one notebook in particular: the Asus N53J or S or SV. Basically, the best price performer from Intel IMO. Currently it's an i5 + GT540M, quite a performer in almost every category.

Cheers!

[citation][nom]tourist[/nom]Man Google is not your friend in this case, pile driver works on am3+, or only 990 chipset, or 950 and 990, FMx ? It is all over the board does anyone know ?[/citation]

Pile driver should work on AM3+. it might officially only support 900 chipset boards (such as 990FX), but it should be able to be run on all AM3+ capable boards with proper BIOS support for it. I heard that there will be a new AM3+ bunch of chipsets to launch with it, the 1xxx chipsets that succeed the 9xx chipsets, but it should still run on the AM3+ boards if they have BIOSs updated for Piledriver.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
[citation][nom]Cleeve[/nom]It's there, we tested it. And I believe it's a full release now, not just a beta.Probably a good idea to read the review before commenting.[/citation]
... my bad...

G

It's a nice piece of hardware, nothing earth-shattering, but nice.
I think one does really have to start looking at APUs as a complete package, not just an CPU with an GPU tacked on.

I do wonder though, why AMD is limiting its strongest Trinity APU to 35 Watts, instead of offering a slightly more power-hungry high end version at, say, 45W.
Surely that would make it fare much better against Intels offerings (especially IB with HD4000) and it still wouldn't be too different in power consumption from Intels biggest i7 mobile Ivy Bridge.
Probably they don't want it to canibalize Dual-Graphics?

[citation][nom]Zoido[/nom]It's a nice piece of hardware, nothing earth-shattering, but nice.I think one does really have to start looking at APUs as a complete package, not just an CPU with an GPU tacked on.I do wonder though, why AMD is limiting its strongest Trinity APU to 35 Watts, instead of offering a slightly more power-hungry high end version at, say, 45W.Surely that would make it fare much better against Intels offerings (especially IB with HD4000) and it still wouldn't be too different in power consumption from Intels biggest i7 mobile Ivy Bridge.Probably they don't want it to canibalize Dual-Graphics?[/citation]

I'd like to see a 45w Trinity APU too. It would probably just increase the clocks and Turbos over the current A10s somewhat, but it would still be a better APU for competing against Intel's higher wattage CPUs.

Cleeve could you get in contact with the benchmarking crew and answer a few questions. I posted these on the forums.

Can any of the mod's here contact the THG crew and see if they'll answer a few questions.

#1 Was any of those tests done while using processor affinity to force Turbo Boost?

Doing all sorts of tests on my Llano I can say with absolute authority that TB will not activate if you let Windows handle your process assignments. Windows will keep moving a thread around to different "under utilized" CPUs which prevents turboboost from kicking in. Putting my CPU at factory settings, I was able to force 1~2 cores to max speed using processor affinity, setting affinity to auto it would never hit max speed.

#2 Was there any tool provided from AMD or off the intarwebs that allows them to play with P / B states?

This would be good for analysis and seeing how much headroom there is on each CPU.

#3 Did someone check with a different set of memory?

The A8-3500M only supports DDR3-1333, that is why the DD3-1600 memory would only run at 1333 speeds. The fact that your getting IDENTICLE bandwidth measurements on a 3500M and a Trinity tells me something is wrong in the memory subsystem. The A8-35xxMX series was the Sabine line that supported DDR3-1600 memory, and it's more bandwidth then a 3500M. Memory bandwidth is incredibly important for the graphics system that your benchmarking.

Finially a comment, a 2.05 is still horrible for CB11.5. Can a quick test be done with CB11.5 on Single Threaded, then affinity lock the CB process and do another Single Threaded test and check the results. Will let you know what kind of improvement to expect in single / dual threaded applications.
Add to the list of quoted messages Quick edit Edit this message

I noticed a few things not quite right (not faulting the THG crew at all). First is that the A8-3500M only supports DDR3-1333, its only the A8-35xxMX models that support DDR3-1600. Thus any benchmarks run with the 3500M would be set at 1333 speeds. The Trinity is supposed to support DDR3-1600 memory yet it scored the same as the 3500M for memory bandwidth which is something I've seen on several other sites. This has lead me to believe the reference box that was sent out might not actually be using the memory at 1600 speeds. My HP-DV6 has a 3550MX and two sticks of DDR3-1600 but it's refusing to use them at that speed, it's really picky that way.

Also I believe turbo-core (boost whater) is not working on that laptop. Actually I know it's not working, it never works with how Windows 7 schedules tasks. Windows likes to move processes from once CPU to another constantly, this prevents the turbo boost from engaging. You have to use processor affinity to prevent it from being moved, doing this immediately engages turbo-boost and your scores will fly up.

I ran my own CB11.5 bench's on my 3550MX and here is what I got.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/page-316983_28_4250.html#t2526321

3550MX stock, no modification

B0: 2700 @1.3500
P0: 2000 @1.1125
P1: 1700 @1.0875
P2: 1600 @1.0625
P3: 1400 @1.0250
P4: 1200 @1.0000
P5: 1000 @0.9625
P6: 0800 @0.9375

CB 11.5

CPU:2.57
Single Thread:0.64
MP Ratio: 4.03

Watching HWinfo64 I could see all four cores at 2.0Ghz the entire time, temps were 60~65c

That would be a 25.7 on Toms' charts which is higher then the Trinity and smacking right into the i5.

OC / UV

3550MX Overclock / Undervolt modification with K10
B0: 3000 @1.3500
P0: 2700 @1.3500
P1: 2000 @1.1125
P2: 1600 @0.9250
P3: 1400 @0.9125
P4: 1200 @0.9000
P5: 1000 @0.8875
P6: 0800 @0.8750

Up: 200ms @ 60%
Down: 2000ms @ 20%

CB 11.5
CPU:3.22
Single Thread: 0.75
MP Ratio:4.29

This is allowing Windows to dynamically move the thread around. This resulting in the four cores constantly clocking at 2.7Ghz, they never made it to 3.0 due to the thermal headroom being hit. Temps were 89~94c but holding steady and not rising. When I set the affinity mask to core 3 I got the following.

I just beat the I5, and beat it badly.

Finally I wanted to test how much of an impact Windows moving threads around was having.

When I set the affinity mask to core 3 I got the following.

Single Thread: 0.86

HWinfo64 had Core 3 pegged at 3.0Ghz and temps at ~64c and holding. The other cores clocked down to their 800 idle speed.

From 0.64 @ 2.0 to 0.75 @2.7Ghz and from 0.75 @2.7 to 0.86 @3.0Ghz.

Forcing turbo boost alone would of gained a 17% single threaded performance increase from stock and another 14.6% from OC'd. Going from a P0 state of 2.0 and a B0 state of 3.0 would of netted me a 34.3% performance increase.

Turbo boost works as promised when you force a thread to stay on it's assigned core. I've tested that you can do this with up to two cores engaged, the other two will be forced to idle down which free's up TDP for the first two to surge up. Windows random placement of threads and reshuffling them prevents cores from idle down to allow others to boost up.

Can tom please rerun some of those single threaded tests (and CB 11.5 Single Threaded test) with the process being forced onto one to two cores. This would demonstrate what the Trinity APU is actually capable of should an intelligent individual get their hands on one.

saumyazone

Honorable
May 3, 2012
http://liveoncampus.com/wire/show/3379815
Here is the AMD Demonstration of the Next Generation Trinity Fusion APU For Notebooks.
Further here is an Exclusive interview of the Prominent industry analyst Rob Enderle discussing the future of PC benchmarking in advance of AMD's Second-Generation A-Series APU launch.
With next DX11 capable integrated graphics, the new mobile CPU will still maintain a 17 Watt power envelope.

[citation][nom]The_Trutherizer[/nom]Yesterday HD4000 with no Trinity. Today Trinity with no HD4000. When will the madness end?[/citation]

HD 4000 on the top end models against mid-range and low end APUs... Yeah, there's a reason that Tom's didn't compare them much. They are for different markets. In fact, this has been said several times in the comments already. It's common sense, not madness, to compare something to another in the same price range.

[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Add 256-512 MB of GDDR5: No competition for Trinty in GPU performance.[/citation]

Yeah, that could launch Trinity far above all other IGPs (although I think that 1GB would be better for the top Trinity APUs, especially on the desktop side) in performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.