AMD A10-6700 And A10-6800K Review: Richland Hits The Desktop

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guess I am blind. LOL...

abitoms

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Is there RCM (resonant clock mesh) tech in Richland? Yes the clock speed has increased, but the increase of 300MHz seems a bit low.

I say the clockspeed increase is low because of the following...

In the days of Athlon II, AMD was able to gradually release (mainstream) Athlon II processors with clock speeds from 2.6GHZ all the way to 3.3GHz or so (an increase of 700MHz). This was achieved without any minor architecture refresh like the one we have from Trinity to Richland.

Nearing current tech physics boundaries are causing fewer gains per generation.

I find it somewhat ironic that a person named BSMonitor posts complete BS;

1) Dual Core vs Quad Core

2) Serious Graphics package vs Pretty pathetic one

3) This is Desktop, hardly anyone gives a crap about its power consumption anyways considering it is much lower than any CPU+GPU combination.

So you get around 3-4x less iGPU gaming performance on that less power, that makes a ton of sense "look everyone we give you less power but our experience is donkeys".

could you guys test with a core i3 3245(3.4 ghz, hd4000) instead of core i3 3225 when you obtain a core i3, vs the 6800k and 5800k. both core i3 seem to have similar(tray) price, so why not use the faster clocked one.

http://techreport.com/review/23662/amd-a10-5800k-and-a8-5600k-trinity-apus-reviewed/5

That was the 3225 vs 5800K both with 1866 and while the HD4000 component shows playable frame rates, the resultant gaming experience is unplayable due to the amount of serious microstutter. Not sure how slightly higher clockspeed will make any difference when the defect is HD4000.

ayushde

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013

You do have a good sense of humor....LOL :D

what happened with the 2x radeon hd 6570 tri-fire with apu(was it 3850?) you tried? did it work?

Wes Young

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013

Look man, you have been shown it works with screens and benches. Sure, that is the same "official" response AMD has always given. Have you considered that perhaps it doesn't work on all motherboards thus it can't be officially supported?

Here's a link for of an actual company from the UK, VIBOX, who is selling the APU in dual graphics with a 7750. Read the full description and you will see additional videos comparing dual on and off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyGDvnSXqfU

If you want help getting the setup accomplished I am sure there are folks that will help you if you take an open minded approach and accept all of the proof you have been provided. If you refuse to accept what you have been shown then by all means feel free.

Like I said way before, I was skeptical and it's the only reason I bought the parts to play around with. Heck man I am down to do a Skype session with you so you can see the HDMI cable plugged into the mobo, OSD and HWINFO running showing IGP/7750 both at load. The truth is out there.

cat1092

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Why are AMD's "best" offerings always compared to the i3, the very bottom of the "i" series? Seems that AMD would prefer to shoot for the stars, be up there with an i7, or at least a top notch i5. Not the bottom of the bucket of Intel's flagship consumer lineup.

The grahpics may indeed be better than the built in Intel offerings, however trying to package the best of both worlds in one package isn't the answer. AMD is clearly sacrificing CPU power for video quality with their "A" series CPU's. Until the engineers at AMD addresses this issue, they're going to continue to drop in market share.

I'll stick with the Intel i5, & buy my own GPU if needed. Some 1GB GDDR5 models are now less than $100 at Newegg on promo and/or rebate.

Cat

BrianLikesGames

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013
is anyone else's CPU fan on the 6800K SUPER LOUD? I can't let it run without Speed Fan because it goes to around 5500 RPM and it's unbearable.

BrianLikesGames

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013

My A6-5400K was silent. stock cooler

Well the 6800K has a higher TDP and the AMD fan needs to spin faster...

BrianLikesGames

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013

I did this build: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1759506

My PSU is a little larger and covers the whole processor. Does anyone have a suggestion for a low profile fan or heatsink/fan to replace the stock one that will fit in something like this, other than the one shown? Otherwise I'll just buy that one. Can't be really any taller than stock.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608019

I would get that one.

BrianLikesGames

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013

thanks, but that's double the other price. actually half the cost of the 6800 in just a fan. Too pricey for my HTPC build.

Wow sorry, I can get one of those for 38$. My bad... Get the other one. :D

jmichae3

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
I am not too sure about this cpu comparison. the model number A10 seems to indicate that this is a 10-core. oop - no, it's a 4-core, guess you just can't go by model numbers anymore, sigh - blech - marketing folks. http://www.cpu-world.com/cgi-bin/IdentifyPart.pl?PART=a10-6800k&PROCESS=Go

well, seems to be comparable procs after all. makes no sense to me, but both the i3 and i5 can have 2 cores. the i5 sometimes has 4 cores depending on model. so maybe you should be choosingly comparing this to a low-end i5 since you are getting such low i3 numbers?
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i3/Intel-Core%20i3-3220.html

it's a tossup... it depends on what you want to compare. The a10-6800k is about the same price as an i3... so you can compare it to the i3 because it's in the same pricerange. Its also a quad core which means you could in theory compare it to an i5 or i7... trick is both of those run as much as 100-250 more per chip... so it's not even comparing apples to apples anymore... that's sorta like comparing a Subaru WRX STi (40k) to a Porsche 911 Turbo (130k), because both have 4 cylinder boxer engines 4 tires and a turbo. That the porche is three times more expensive makes such a comparison sorta silly in retrospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.