Question AMD Adrenalin showing fan speed when fan is not spinning

Jun 8, 2022
Recently, my computer has been overheating and crashing while I'm browsing the internet. After investigating, I found that my GPU fan has been starting and stopping before crashing. Curious, I decided to check AMD Adrenalin to see if it has been logging this. I instead found that Adrenalin has been saying that the fans are spinning, even when they aren't. What could be causing this?

Specs:
GPU: MSi AMD R9 390
CPU: Intel i7-4970
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Pro4
Power Supply: Corsair CX650M
Case: Cooler Master N200

Ralston18

Titan
How many fans? Make, model, configuration?

How old is the PSU? History of heavy use for gaming. video editing or bit-mining?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some related error codes, warnings or informational events.

Are the fan blades free to spin?

Power down, unplug, and gently check that the fan blades move freely and that there is nothing nearby that when air is flowing could impede the fans.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
There nothing wrong when you have (whatever rpm fan speed under a thousand reported in AMD adrenalin while fans on GPU are actually stopped)

Just a software oversight, it's been like this for as long as I can remember, whilst using AMD GPU for me. (even different versions driver, gpu)

For your heat problem, don't stray to far from default setting and software setup, then you should be fine. [reinstall driver and leave it at default]
(Just manually check if your hardware [ GPU Fans] are actually working when it should)

Last edited: