News AMD Allegedly Prepping Three Ryzen 7000 X3D CPUs

Rubbing my hands greedily. The 7950X3D would be a great replacement for my 7950X in games...give my 'old' cpu to my wife for a rig and 3d v-cache for me. Happy happy joy joy!
You'll need to update your sig PC, so! ;)

Seriously though, surely the 7950x is good enough for anything right now? Will an extra few FPS make a real difference? What other specs for the 7950x build are you running?

I'm a little surprised they are doing a 7950X3D. 7950 gaming wise isn't the best gaming CPU, 7600X3D and 7800X3D seem like they would be better sellers, but we will see.
The 7950x has their highest binned cores though, so to present a high number gain they have to put the 3d cache into the 7950x

Also it's just a rumor until it's officially announced, so maybe they won't release one.

lmcnabney

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022
AMD is in a bind. Raptor Lake mopped the floor with Zen 4, can take advantage of lower priced motherboards and significantly cheaper DDR4, and was reasonably priced. New 3D skus will need to be priced knowing these factors. If they come out with a premium price like 5950X3D they will continue to lose market share.

Oct 2, 2022
Unless the 7600X3D is £350 max it still isn't good value. It's practically 2023, too so we're down to two years of platform support already and prices don't represent value even if they do compete in some areas on performance.

Even if it wipes the floor with 13th gen, we're just 10 months away from 14th Gen and a new architecture. I want to see some value, else performance is just out of touch with most peoples cost of living reality.

Reactions: thisisaname

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
If the 5800X3D can keep up with 13th gen most of the time, a 7800X3D will do just fine as the top gaming CPU. 12 and 16 cores, yeah, probably not the best bargain. But there will still be people who want to game fast and then go do productive work, so there is a market.
Unless you're using a 4090 at sub 4k resolutions, how often are you getting bottlenecked in gaming by a sub $200 i5? You can't game on a "regular" Zen4 CPU?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I was mostly commenting on someone saying they are too expensive and that 14th gen will be out soon. There are cheaper CPUs which is kind of my point. Bottlenecking was not part of the answer.

If you don't want the expensive CPU, then you aren't looking at the expensive GPUs either, so throwing in a 4090 doesn't make a lot of sense.

Reactions: Vic 40
Can't wait to see how these pan out! If the 5800x 3d was anything to go by, they could be really good.

Intel have really brought it with 12th/13th Gen and are back in the game and a bit ahead IMO. I wonder will these gamer centric CPU's turn out well.

lmcnabney

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022
If you don't want the expensive CPU, then you aren't looking at the expensive GPUs either, so throwing in a 4090 doesn't make a lot of sense.

That totally depends on your applications and what resolution you play games at.

If you are playing games competitively at low resolutions than you definitely would be interested in as much CPU power you can get because the CPU (and memory) is the bottleneck.

If you are interested in playing at high resolutions than there is not much reason to buy a high end CPU because the GPU is the bottleneck. People often do because when your PC budget has a $2k GPU spending an extra couple hundred on a top CPU isn't a big percentage of the build. If you are playing 4K on ultra with a 4090 you won't notice the difference between a 13600 and a 13900.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Okay, so I guess I can't respond here without someone picking apart my response to someone else out of context.

If an expensive CPU is a problem, so is an expensive GPU. Done. Not bottlenecking concerns or anything, that is a separate topic.

If someone wants to say that the cost proposition of a CPU that comes out in January is bad compared to an unreleased product that is nearly a year away. While discounting that a new motherboard would be required, while ignoring that AM5 is likely to be compatible for a good while, I just don't have the words to explain that further.

But on the other hand, they will overlap with processors without 3D V-Cache and cannibalize some sales of parts with higher core counts.

i mean...this makes sense actually.

Zen4's cpus are costly....lowering the older ones and replacing these would make sense to attract ppl to your platform (which is scaring off many due to high cost of entry)

I wonder if intel will eventually copy it for their own chips.

Apr 1, 2020
Granted I think AMD is stupid enough to launch a 3D cache consumer chip with more than 8 cores, I don't think they're stupid enough to ACTUALLY put a 3D cache consumer chip with more than 8 cores on shelves. Games struggle to use 8 cores, more cores means more heat which means lower clock speeds realized, and more than 8 cores means a higher chance of more than one CCX involved, not to mention the insane cost.

Reactions: KyaraM and rluker5

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
You'll need to update your sig PC, so! ;)

Seriously though, surely the 7950x is good enough for anything right now? Will an extra few FPS make a real difference? What other specs for the 7950x build are you running?

Oh it is...but the wife's PC needs a new cpu platform too. She doesn't need the cores I do... (waiting on water block mounting hardware not included due monday...old stock apparently will update specs when running).

But yeah running asrock taichi x670e, 64GB of G.Skill DDR 6000, 7950X, RTX 4090, 2TB Nextorage Nvme SSDn 1200W FSP atx 3.0 psu native 16pin, and all the other hdds/ssds/water cooling/case will carry over to my new build minus my current boot drive which my wife will get.

Anyways she is in dire need of CPU platform upgrade as she is on my very old a i7 970 6c/12t currently and maybe on my current xeon/x78 build listed in the mean time when I finish. Anyways I always planned to buy her a new or pass her my CPU to get her up to current speeds regardless. Though had I had confirmation sooner they were doing multi chiplet dies with 3d stack cache... I mave have squeeked by with 12 cores instead because honestly 8 would have been fine for her uses (gaming/web/docx) but more restricted performance wise than I'd like for mine until 7000x3d drops. I am excited as is she.

Co BIY

Splendid
Games struggle to use 8 cores, more cores means more heat which means lower clock speeds realized, and more than 8 cores means a higher chance of more than one CCX involved, not to mention the insane cost.

If games struggle to use 8 cores then how can the extra heat get generated to cause problems ?

... Also you say "insane cost" like it's a bad thing. Not sure global corps think the same. HALO products need the heights to be seen.

oofdragon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017
Probably the 7800X3D will take the crown off the 13900k (in games) just like the first time, priced accordingly, and the 7900X3D/7950X3D will be just a more expensive option to gamers that also want that extra power doing their work. It feels good to say 7900X3D+7900XTX, but $1600 just for this combo? Personally I don't see the need for anything over a 5600+6800, that's a FULL 165fps PC around $800 at eBay right now, also a perfectly capable 4K gaming station (60fps non RT). I mean.. the 7900XTX is like a 4080 and that's like.. you would only notice the difference playing RT games at 4K? Maybe? Why pay triple? We got to a point in PC gaming where the law of diminishing returns hitted the wall a long time ago but things just keep growing out of bragging rights. I got a 4090 now I can play Portal at 20fps native 4K trololo.. like, even the 6800 will play Portal RTX just fine at 1080p, just get that resolution down and play it without over paying for it.

Last edited:

oofdragon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017
From the 1600 to the 5600 there's a telling difference, it's over double the FPS and the 5600 is just $100 at eBay right now. But from the 5600 to the 7600 or even 7900X3D? I bet you guys that gaming wise, at ultra settings, we won't have 20% plus fps even at 1080p. Set the res at 4K and there won't even be a difference..There's surely a difference from paying $100 vs $600, but not with 20% plus fps at 1080p. Get a 5600+6800 for around $550, that's the real deal right now, or if you are going cheap the 5600+2060 is around $300

Reactions: ottonis