News AMD Allegedly Prepping Three Ryzen 7000 X3D CPUs

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KyaraM

Admirable
Yes, we do. Although the 13900k would not be logical if core count is the use case. I cant list you many usecases where one would do professional work and game. Let me know if you need that list.

I am both. I am 40y, i do professional work, and i game. How hard is that to understand?

It can substitute one, very well. It can be for both.

Ideally, i'd have a 4x 12c/24t Xeon server in a rack, locally accessible for my professional needs. That way, i could have a second system with 5800x3d for gaming.

But i cant, many cant. Many people who have a home, a normal home, an apartment limited to use of space home, cannot do that. So we need to strike a middle. Rather then having two separate systems, we can have one.

What many are not taking in to consideration is PRICE. The absolute minimum core count for my needs is 32, either threads or cores. Try researching a build in that realm. HEDT is out of the game cause it's pretty much dead or dissolved in to Workstations. Yes, gaming on these will probably never perform any better than a 5600x. This is where 7950 comes in, and this is where 7950x3D adds to the gaming side too.

Y'all really dont need to fight this thing just because you wont get one.
Good for you that you are one of the people who need the CPU. You are NOT the vast majority, however. And now tell me. How exactly do you think a 7950X3D does benefit you when a 7950X is already ridiculously overpowered for gaming? That it my freaking point. You. Do. Not.

Also, I don't have any issues understanding that there are some people who need it. YOU, however, apparently find it hard to understand that the fast majority of users do not need the CPU at all.

PlutoDelic

Distinguished
May 31, 2005
Good for you that you are one of the people who need the CPU. You are NOT the vast majority, however. And now tell me. How exactly do you think a 7950X3D does benefit you when a 7950X is already ridiculously overpowered for gaming? That it my freaking point. You. Do. Not.

Also, I don't have any issues understanding that there are some people who need it. YOU, however, apparently find it hard to understand that the fast majority of users do not need the CPU at all.

I was constantly referring to you that this has nothing to do with vast majority. Even both products will not see production of numbers compared to the lower core siblings. I just happened to be on the brink of a purchase for my both realms of gaming and professional. Of course i would opt for a 3D cache one, when the last gen addition showed us how much of an impact it made. That is plain simple. As you said, "some people", they exist, they need this, and we should not have this chatter at all since it affects only the person that will use it, and not the one that wont.

Well, ironically the 7950X has worse lower 1% (like the 13900K) than the lower core-count parts because of the lower base clocks and (maybe) intra-CCD latency, so the VCache would help that immensely, in theory. AMD definitely needs to work on the scheduler some more for some games, but as long as the game threads stay in the same CCD, the extra cache will boost the min-FPS like mad and the higher range as well.

Also, much like the 13900K, the 7950X can be optimized thermally so you can even use regular tower coolers to cool it with minimal trade-offs in gaming performance, if at all. And finally, keep in mind the VCache would allow all Ryzen parts with it to clock lower and keep monstrous gaming performance and, according to rumours, keep the same clocks when needed, so it's the reverse of what you're saying.

Keep in mind I use a 5800X3D for VR, so depending on how much the 1% lows improve, I may actually move to AM5.

Regards.

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
thanks for mentionning VR. those 1% are really a game changer in VR.
like, the difference between motion sickness and a good experience.

I have a 2700x that was top off the line when i bought my VR headset, but in some games it feels weird (No Man Sky is horrible, lag spikes that i can feel in game and mesure with a tool, tied to the CPU)

Currently I really think about upgrading to a 5800x3D , but it feels a bit wrong todo a 500$CAD upgrade and not get more cores.