AMD Announces Ryzen Threadripper, Challenges Intel With 12C/16X For $799 and $999

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

If you're incapable of building a properly functioning Intel system, what makes you think you will have any success with picking the parts and building an AMD one? PEBKAC

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

You mean like the already announced 3647 pin Skylake-SP family of CPU's? In another thread I mentioned how AMD fans live in this fantasy world where AMD comes up with everything and then everyone else just copies it in a rushed response. I got blasted for it, but no matter, you people continue to prove me right. According to AMD posters on this site, since AMD announced Threadripper two months ago Intel has:

-Added 8 cores to Broadwell E to reach 18, with an addition 10 cores added for Skylake SP to 28
-Replaced their ring bus with a network mesh topology
-Developed a new socket 3647 to replace the 2011

If any of that were true, you people aren't giving remotely enough credit to the engineers at Intel. That's an insane accomplishment to be able to do all of that in two months.

Jon_16

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016
I dislike webpages that have videos that auto play w/o my consent.... If you're reading this Tom's don't do that, ever... it annoys people.

diacad

Commendable
Jul 18, 2017
We had problems making Ryzen 1700 work with VMware. Have they fixed this in these new Ryzens?

kyotokid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
..well considering like the first generation Ryzen CPUs, you need W10, looks like I am sticking to Haswell/Broadwell Xeons. Apologies but an OS "as a service" just doesn't fly very well especially when you are forced to deal with all the nonsensical rubbish it includes.

diacad

Commendable
Jul 18, 2017

That's what we wound up using for a VMware server upgrade - a pair of Xeons. We should have read other reports of VMware trouble with Ryzen which we found later on the internet. Strange, since the server we upgraded was using the AMD FX-8520 which had no problem with VMware, just was a little slower than we wanted. BTW, as far as I know, there are no motherboards that will accept more than one Ryzen - perhaps multiple cpu operation is precluded with this chip. The Ryzen 1700 and its accompanying motherboard sits on the shelf, waiting for a gamer to order a system. That seems to be the prime marketing target for AMD here.

kyotokid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010

...from my perspective AMD usually seemed to cater more to the gaming sector while Intel/Nvidia were more broad spectrum. Crikey even the names of their new CPUs, (Ryzen, Threadripper and Epyc) sound more game than workstation/server oriented compared to the more mundane sounding "i-X" and Xeon series.

... Crikey even the names of their new CPUs, (Ryzen, Threadripper and Epyc) sound more game than workstation/server oriented compared to the more mundane sounding "i-X" and Xeon series.

In case you missed it ... Chipzilla now names their enterprise chips after precious metals.

edit: and ... I fergit.

Not sure what that dude is going on about desktop systems, enterprise, servers, whatever.

Socket SP3 is 2P ("Naples') and effectively an Octo-Chip enterprise solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.