AMD approved power supplies

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Hmm...nobody answered my question. Maybe it was too small and got hidden.
Where can I find a list of what voltages are used by each component?

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Do you mean how much power is consumed by each component? that will vary from manuf to manuf, best place to find that info is from the tech details of the particular component in question, things like cd drives.fans are normally marked as to their power consumption, but bear in mind, a pc has both 5v and 12v coming from the PSU, and two seperate psu's may be greatly different- i.e. one could supply 100W on the 5V and 200W on the 12V, and another may be different.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Your best bet is to check the general specs on the component. Hard drives and other bay-mounted devices generally include such info in their spec sheets; other components often do not.

If it helps, -5V and -12V are used only for ISA devices--not for bay-mounted or PCI devices. PCI devices usually draw power on either the +5V or +3.3V rails (depending on the notch pattern on the contacts). SDRAM typically draws off the +3.3V power (though DDR is different, it runs on something like +2.5V). Devices which run off of voltage not provided directly by the PSU usually get their power through a transformer or a voltage regulator, which in turn gets its power from a standard voltage. A general formula that applies in most DC circuits is: Voltage x Amperage = Wattage.

Oh, and power supplies are typically labeled with a table of wattage levels provided for each voltage level.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
If I get chance tonight, I'll measure the current being drawn on bot the 5V and the 12V from my psu, and I'll post my sysspec to give a general idea (if I dont post back, plz make a new topic called "CALV... you said you would...." !!

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm sorry. In the link that <b>Toejam31</b> gave to me has a page may answer your question.
<b><A HREF="http://www.gamepc.com/reviews/hardware_review.asp?review=psroundup&page=5&mscssid=&tp=" target="_new">http://www.gamepc.com/reviews/hardware_review.asp?review=psroundup&page=5&mscssid=&tp=</A></b>

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

G

I have a 250watt power suppy on a 1200mhz Tbird/GeForce 2 Ultra with no problems whatsoever. But, I would go with a 300watt supply, as others have stated.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by JoeyLeak on 06/27/01 02:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I think that I went for the Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor special: and Enermax 550w. Above this are two case exhaust fans. The case has one front fan, and I have a Gladiator HSF on the Athlon 1300/1450. Heck, there's even a fan on the Elsa Gladiac.

My .02

<font color=blue> There ya go. </font color=blue>