AMD Athlon 64 bit 3.4 or a Intel 3.4

Muffro

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2004
what should i get im so confused people are telling me AMD are crap and overheat and burn out and other people are telling me AMds have gotten way better then Intels

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
what should i get im so confused people are telling me AMD are crap and overheat and burn out and other people are telling me AMds have gotten way better then Intels
Today's AMD CPU dissipate less heat than Intel CPU. And it's a proven fact. The people that are still saying that AMD CPU overheat probably never read about PC technology. This don't mean that AMD is now BETTER than Intel. Both CPU have their strength.

What will you do with your PC? This is the most important think to know. Read the CPU FAQ (a sticky port at the top of this forum). Then, if you have more questions, ask us!

My personal choice right now is the Athlon 64 Socket939. These CPU are better than Intel for gaming and they support 64bit computing. So, when Windowx XP 64bit Edition will be out, the people who bought Athlon 64, Athlon FX or Opteron CPU will be able to upgrade their OS to 64bit without changing anything to their system (assuming all plugins cards have 64bit drivers).

If you don't play much and do a lot of multitasking and/or video/audio production, Intel would be a better choice, otherwise AMD have the edge!

-
A7N8X / <font color=green><b>Sempron 2800+</b></font color=green> <- <i>Is this affecting my credibility?</i>
Kingston DDR333 2x256Megs
<font color=red>Radeon 8500 128Megs</font color=red> @ C:275/M:290 <- <i>It's enough for WoW!</i>

Muffro

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2004
well im doing video editing and i was planing on getting a MSI-K8T NEO FIS2R motherboard and a AMD ATHLON 64 but 3.4 cpu and 1gig of ram and anouther 200gig hardrive ive only got 80gig. I was also gonna buy that new Tsunami Dream Case, but yer i wanna do my system up for some hardcore video editing :)

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
If you plan to do Video Editign all the time, the Intel CPU might be better. But don't forget that the advantage of Intel in Video Editing is not like 200% faster. And in some apps. Athlon 64 are nearly as fast.

YOu msut also keep in mind that Video Editing software will probably get a significant boost of performance when 64bit will be enabled. So, YES, today, as we talk, Intel will gives you better performance in video editing, by how much? It will depend on the applications you use.

If you know other people that use the same video software, ask them what they would buy TODAY. And don't forget to ask them why they would NOT shoose the other CPU brand. Because, you might learn something from their answer to this question.

By the way, i strougly recommend you getting an Athlon 64 3200+ or 3500+ for Socket 939 instead of Athlon 64 3400+ for Socket 754. Socket 939 is more future-proof if you wantto upgrade to dual core in 2005 or 2006 their will not be solutions for Socket 754, only Socket 939 will get DUAL-CORE support, unless AMD change their mind, but I doubt it. Socket 754 is the "budget" platform for AMD.

-
A7N8X / <font color=green><b>Sempron 2800+</b></font color=green> <- <i>Is this affecting my credibility?</i>
<font color=red>Radeon 8500 128Megs</font color=red> @ C:275/M:290 <- <i>It's enough for WoW!</i>

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
I agree with TheRod Socket939 would be much better. Intel CPU's are generally considered better for video editing but I dont think the extra 5% performance is worth the extra heat and cost of a new p4 prescott system.

Have you ever overclocked before? If so I would get a 3000+ athlon64, this is guarenteed to have a winchester core and these babies overclock very nicly.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Have you ever overclocked before? If so I would get a 3000+ athlon64, this is guarenteed to have a winchester core and these babies overclock very nicly.
First, Socket939 3000+ are all 90nm (Winchester).

And, YES, I a agree with you, right now the Socket939 3000+ is <b>THE</b> CPU to get for AMD overclockers! The Athlon XP-M is no more the AMD Overclockers playground! Welcome Winchester!!! :smile:

But, with the recent announce of SSE3 support in the next AMD 90nm core revision, I will wait for it to upgrade my "old" overclocked <b><font color=green>tbred</font color=green></b>.

Because, right now, I play <b>World Of Warcraft</b> in 1280x1024 with most video option at HIGH without a glitch or video lag! So, I don't need more horsepower...

Yes! I do admit, that FarCry, Call Of Duty, Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 are all waiting for my next upgrade to take some room on my hard disk! I dan't want to play those games at mid or low details. These games deserves MORE than that! :smile:

-

Muffro

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2004
im wanting to upgrade my comp to a good video editing comp for less then $1200 australian dollas so i was trying to get amd cause there cheaper but if intel is the ideal one then ill get that The Intel Petium 3.4 is about $445 now i should change what motherbaord and video card i was gonna get i was gonna get the Geforce 6800 card and yous know what motherboard i was getting, Should i get a Asus instead?

endyen

Splendid
I am going to agree with Jammy, the P4e chips are still to hot to be worth the gains you may ( or may not) see. As to board, Asus and Abit will be bringing out Nforce4 boards shortly. Either one should be good.

AznAnarchy99

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2004
ok im looking at AMD processors right now. I have never owned anything but Intel and i mainly use my computer for gaming but i do use it for some Photoshop work. any tips? and yes i have read the FAQ and all it did was open my mind to more choices that im confused about...

endyen

Splendid
If you are talking personal photos, that doesn't matter. If M$ were to bring out Win64, the A64 would do photoshop better anyhow.
For gaming, Amd is King (right now).Not only do A64 systems outperform P4s, they run cooler, and with quieter hsf.

TRENDING THREADS