AMD Athlon II X2 / Phenom II X2 And Low-Power CPU Bonanza

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronRyan21

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Maybe if AMD would actually bring out some kind of nehalem competitor instead of flooding the cheapo market with variations of the same chips all over the place. There was Athlon 64 X2, brisbane and windsor, then there was Kuma, which was a phenom with 2 cores disabled. Now we got these new chips which are phenom 2s with 2 cores disabled. Lets put the money into some R&D and get somewhere. It seems like AMDs lost traction. sad.

thedipper

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]IronRyan21[/nom]Maybe if AMD would actually bring out some kind of nehalem competitor instead of flooding the cheapo market with variations of the same chips all over the place. There was Athlon 64 X2, brisbane and windsor, then there was Kuma, which was a phenom with 2 cores disabled. Now we got these new chips which are phenom 2s with 2 cores disabled. Lets put the money into some R&D and get somewhere. It seems like AMDs lost traction. sad.[/citation]

The low to mid-price segments are the best selling hardware categories.

Believe it or not, the $100 bang-for-the-buck graphics cards by far outsell the $500 space heater graphics cards. As with graphics cards, $50-100 CPUs by far outsell the $300-1300 CPUs.

The market that seems like most of the market - the enthusiasts and gamers - is actually not that much of the market share. Businesses building for performance-per-dollar, low-mid performance factory built home PCs, and people building web or media machines... these together outweigh the enthusiast/gamer market.

G

@IronRyan: Why not start your own semiconductor company and show AMD how it's done? Can a similar argument not be applied to Intel's "double cheeseburger" quads, and "single patty" dual-cores? If we even get any non-quad i7/i5s, do you know if Intel won't just do the same thing? In the future, instead of coming up with some lame argument, just post this for each article:

"Hi, my name's IronRyan, and I like Intel. Go team Intel, yay!!!!!"

deputc26

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Anyone else see the Athlon X2 and think that if they underclocked and undervolted it they'd finally have a legitimate mobile contender?
If they can run 4 cores at 2.5ghz and 8mb cache on 65w they should be able to run 2 cores at 2.5 ghz and 2mb cache at less than 32.5w.

rdawise

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Interesting article...I'm glad you put this against the E6300. I haven't seen much about this chip. It as if Intel just snuck on onto the market. I wonder how high of an overclock you can get with it....

Onto the article, it seems as if the Phenom II x2 550 BE would a great chip in a value gaming rig. If you could unclock the extra cores and get it stable, you'd be one lucky man. Can't wait till see these on the Egg...

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
Quickest Pentium, only one with a 1066 MHz bus, disappointing that it's missing some functionality, though.

Anyone else reminded of GeForce 2 MX when they see how Intel is positioning its mainstream chips these days? I'm all for differentiating with performance to drive down price (even cutting performance-oriented features, like Hyper-Threading), but don't start shedding the actual capabilities of an architecture to handicap it.

G

I would find the Phenom X2 550 interesting because many of the programs I still run today are singlethreaded.
These programs benefit more from a higher clockrate than more cores.

Keeping this in mind, and the fact that an OS doesn't (spectacularly) boot faster with more cores, I think the X2 is a great buy.
I'm a bit dissapointed at the powerdraw. For a HDTV box you don't necessarily need to buy a Radeon 4850. Perhaps a lower powerdraw (and price) in the 4770 or 4670 will be better.
To playback full HD (1080p) I suppose a Radeon HD 2900XT would be enough.
Add office tasks, internetting, some photoshop, and casual gaming on a 22"monitor (1680x1050 pix), and a Radeon 4670 would be enough in most cases.
If you have a 24" monitor (1920x1200 pix) a Radeon 4770 would do.
Only when latest gaming is concerned should you go for a Radeon 4870 or a 4890.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
Pro, for an HTPC, you'd be fine with a 4670, more than likely. The challenge will be building a system able to keep that setup cool enough. The Maui box with the 905e was *near-silent* but a discrete card would have wrecked this, and a 4670 is almost too much card to be passively-cooled (a la Ultimate-style) without better airflow in the case.

billybobs

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
[citation][nom]IronRyansSister[/nom]@IronRyan: Why not start your own semiconductor company and show AMD how it's done? Can a similar argument not be applied to Intel's "double cheeseburger" quads, and "single patty" dual-cores? If we even get any non-quad i7/i5s, do you know if Intel won't just do the same thing? In the future, instead of coming up with some lame argument, just post this for each article:"Hi, my name's IronRyan, and I like Intel. Go team Intel, yay!!!!!"[/citation]

Is this guy serious? He counters another reader's argument by taunting him? Seriously.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
Huh, I had assumed that the new Athlon line was just going to be Phenom IIs with cache/cores disabled. I guess this dedicated design is just a more efficient way to sell silicon than disabling good chips?

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
[citation][nom]billybobs[/nom]Is this guy serious? He counters another reader's argument by taunting him? Seriously.[/citation]
the othe reader did not have much of an argument to begin with so he deserved the taunting

G

All this like many other toms articles show me there is not much difference between closely released proximity hardware!

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Wooooooooooooo[/nom]All this like many other toms articles show me there is not much difference between closely released proximity hardware![/citation]

When a release is incremental and evolutionary in nature, that's a pretty safe bet. There's no use in us embellishing the differences for theatrical effect now, is there?

G

@BillyBob: IronRyan posts an equally pointless pro-Intel fanboy comment everytime any article is posted, I couldn't take the waste of LCD screen space any longer, somebody had to say something.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Is is me or iTunes shouldn`t be used as a benchmark since it`s beeing developed by apple wich uses only Intel CPU`s, and lame audio encoding ... i mean look at the other 2 multimedia programs used and look at those 2.

Thanks Chris. Good introduction to these new CPUs, but I have to admit I'm not familiar with the E6300. Is the new PII X2 550 going to compete with the E7400?

And on another topic, what cooler is that you are using? A Scythe?

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
It could compete with the 7400, yes--didn't have one in the lab, though, and was only able to buy the 6300 before the weekend hit ;)

That cooler is actually the PiB you get with AMD's older Phenom IIs (they've since replaced it). Where this an overclocking feature, I would have mounted up the Ultra 120 eXtreme.

Thanks. Now that we're pushing AMD builds more on the boards I'm struggling with finding good coolers that will play well with high RAM... not an issue with Intel socket boards.

I'll be looking forward to all the benchmarks we'll see this week ;) Lot's of folks are feeling the pinch and will be looking hard at these new CPUs.

xsamitt

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
Still no avatars and the now it's hard to quickly read with the type being o small.Just keeps getting better and better.

Status
Not open for further replies.