AMD/ATI Beats Nvidia to the 1 GHz GPU Milestone

Status
Not open for further replies.

stryk55

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Nice job, AMD/ATI! Though this begs the question: will we see multi-core GPUs coming out anytime in the near future, or is it just my wild pipedream?

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
stryk55: GPUs already have hundreds of shaders and dozens of texture mappers and render outputs. So they already process lots of different data streams at once. If you meant multiple-GPUs, thats what SLI and CrossFire are already accomplishing.

Could this be an HD4890X2? I don't think AMD would sale a higher end GPU using the same name in a single gpu. Only time they did increase the performance and use the same name was in dual gpu x2 version.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
[citation][nom]elbert[/nom]Could this be an HD4890X2? I don't think AMD would sale a higher end GPU using the same name in a single gpu. Only time they did increase the performance and use the same name was in dual gpu x2 version.[/citation]

WTF are you smoking? Why would you call a faster part X2?

thundercleese

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]stryk55[/nom]Nice job, AMD/ATI! Though this begs the question: will we see multi-core GPUs coming out anytime in the near future, or is it just my wild pipedream?[/citation]

GPUs are multi-core. They have been for a while now.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
And again, history repeats itself.. :)
The last comment from the author of the news is the same though I had when I started reading it..

Back in 2000 when I was living in Canada I saw that "fight".. Remember the P4 bug with 1ghz speeds? lol..

A year to remember.. SlotA/Slot1 processors that resembled nintendo cartridges.. lol.. Great year for AMD..

Master Exon

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]stryk55[/nom]Nice job, AMD/ATI! Though this begs the question: will we see multi-core GPUs coming out anytime in the near future, or is it just my wild pipedream?[/citation]
I had that misconception once, too. Turns out GPUs actually already have like over 100 cores.

kirvinb

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
lol the 1st 1ghz processor...800 bucks..amazing..! times change things...i think my cell phone might have a 1ghz processor now lol

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
my god! this is amazing! they broke the 1ghz barrier! i can't believe it!! what does this mean? sweet FA! or if we are lucky another ghz war in which they abandon efficient and clever design just to see who can get the highest clock (p4 anyone?)

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]ravenware[/nom]Way to go Tom Brokawhttp://www.overclockersclub.com/re [...] 90_atomic/[/citation]

nice find, too bad they didn't throw 2gb of mem on to that... they might have gotten some better mem clocks out of it, like their one sapphire 4870 2gb model that can run gta iv without a hitch

lire210

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
dude it is multi core it has 800 stream pros or cores just it is sorta like carmen people say it different but not really that was a dumb comparison i spell ting wong.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
[citation][nom]afrobacon[/nom]As much as I favor AMD over Nvidia, Nvidia has done this with the unified shaders already[/citation]

What did nVidia do with unified shaders?

Ati was the first company to use unified shaders for an entire generation before nVidia. Unified shaders were first developed for the XBOX 360 graphics chip called Xenos, which is a predecessor to Ati's R600 architecture (Radeon HD 2000 series) which is the equivalent of nVidia's Geforce 7 series (which doesn't have unified shaders). nVidia has unified shaders starting with Geforce 8 series.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
So what? Nvidia has higher performance per clock which was what AMD used to preach back in the Athlon XP/64 vs. Pentium 4 days. Now AMD is bragging the high clock speed of PII and 48xx GPUs.

The table has finally turned and AMD is on the receiving end.

mavroxur

Distinguished
It's not all about clock speed, it's about efficency per clock cycle. Hooray for another marketing ploy. Maybe they can go back to the performance ratings again. "Radeon 4890 1600+" anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.