News AMD Brags That Radeon 16GB GPUs Start at $499, Unlike Nvidia

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
The 8GB VRAM problem only started to surface in the last 3 months with Hogwarts Legacy released in Feb and the last of us in April. Guaranteed the 7600 was planned with design specs well before that. Marketing is currently just reactioning to the current PC gaming controversy. Moving forward, I'm sure they'll add more VRAM, but so will Nvidia.
Even if that's true, it doesn't change the current situation. If the RX 7600 is even a hair over $250, it's DOA because it will get buried by the RX 6700 and RX 6700 XT.

If AMD prices it at $250 however, they might just have a real winner on their hands.

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
AMD is right though, Nvidia doesn't offer even 12GB sub $600 when at that price we got 6950xt now 🥳 Honestly why even bother with anything priced higher? AMD all the day for me, 4060Ti coming at 8GB and there will be fools buying it. There are people who actually buy a 4070 over a 6950XT lol 😂 Nvidia charges $200 more for a 4070Ti and even this one is 12GB LOL 😂😂😂
Why don't you go get that $500 card let's and compare it to my $1,200 4080 and let's see what comes out on top.

I'll gladly run any test you want, just tell me how to do it is all I ask.

Winner get to choose the loser's avatar for a month. Wanna play? 😉

Why don't you go get that $500 card let's and compare it to my $1,200 4080 and let's see what comes out on top.

I'll gladly run any test you want, just tell me how to do it is all I ask.

Winner get to choose the loser's avatar for a month. Wanna play? 😉
I won't tell you to not bet and do those as you wish, but just keep in mind you threw a very broad challenge that is very easy to skew with little effort. Even using official benchmarks where AMD is just better than nVidia. There's some number crunching things in which AMD is slightly better than nVidia, so I wouldn't be surprised there is a niche, not skewed test, where a 6800(XT) can outperform a 4080.

Anyway, just to talk about your point. Apples to oranges. VRAM capacity is complementary to GPU grunt and nVidia is segmenting accordingly. There's a reason most people on a budget for video production flocked over the 3060 12GB instead of a 3080-class.

EDIT:
There's a very interesting ad of old from Volvo on this subject, kind of. I'll try to link it if I find it.

Here it is:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XJ__xeiI90

Regards.

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
I won't tell you to not bet and do those as you wish, but just keep in mind you threw a very broad challenge that is very easy to skew with little effort. Even using official benchmarks where AMD is just better than nVidia. There's some number crunching things in which AMD is slightly better than nVidia, so I wouldn't be surprised there is a niche, not skewed test, where a 6800(XT) can outperform a 4080.

Anyway, just to talk about your point. Apples to oranges. VRAM capacity is complementary to GPU grunt and nVidia is segmenting accordingly. There's a reason most people on a budget for video production flocked over the 3060 12GB instead of a 3080-class.

Regards.

First off, it's an avatar. So long as they don't ask me to do anything that would get me banned from TH, I don't mind for a month.

Secondly, AMD instead of rolling up their sleeves and actually competing (they threw in the towel a long time ago), they are sitting back and throwing pot shots at nVidia claiming VRAM is the be all and end off of graphics processing. If that was true, we could all run 8086 processors and 15tb of VRAM and it's all good!

I honestly wish AMD would shut up and go release another 9700 on the world and beat nVidia at their own game. Nobody should have to sell their firstborn for a video card, and unfortunately that is the case because nVidia has zero competition.

30 years ago, a high-end consumer level CPU cost $1,000. Today they are less than $700 (not by much, but they are). That is because of the magic of competition.

High end video cards cost $500 about 20 years ago. Today they are 3x as much. nVidia doesn't have any competition, so they can charge whatever they want, and there is nothing you can do about it.

That is what really bothers me about all of this. And it's why I dropped that challenge.

First off, it's an avatar. So long as they don't ask me to do anything that would get me banned from TH, I don't mind for a month.

Secondly, AMD instead of rolling up their sleeves and actually competing (they threw in the towel a long time ago), they are sitting back and throwing pot shots at nVidia claiming VRAM is the be all and end off of graphics processing. If that was true, we could all run 8086 processors and 15tb of VRAM and it's all good!

I honestly wish AMD would shut up and go release another 9700 on the world and beat nVidia at their own game. Nobody should have to sell their firstborn for a video card, and unfortunately that is the case because nVidia has zero competition.

30 years ago, a high-end consumer level CPU cost $1,000. Today they are less than $700 (not by much, but they are). That is because of the magic of competition.

High end video cards cost $500 about 20 years ago. Today they are 3x as much. nVidia doesn't have any competition, so they can charge whatever they want, and there is nothing you can do about it.

That is what really bothers me about all of this. And it's why I dropped that challenge.
I don't disagree on the overall premise of that, but equalizing two completely different price points (and segments) is apples to oranges.

Regards.

sherhi

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2015
The 8GB VRAM problem only started to surface in the last 3 months with Hogwarts Legacy released in Feb and the last of us in April. Guaranteed the 7600 was planned with design specs well before that. Marketing is currently just reactioning to the current PC gaming controversy. Moving forward, I'm sure they'll add more VRAM, but so will Nvidia.
It was kind of obvious the minute new consoles hit the market that it was just a matter of time before this new games come into play (only a fool would not expect developers using console HW to its full potential), it was just postponed maybe a year or two due to covid. And slapping extra 4-8 gigs on a card? How hard is that? How much does it cost? How long does it take?

Or maybe they try to make ram some kind of luxurious aspect of a product when it's becoming essential?