AMD Bulldozer Speed Record Broken Again at 8.58GHz

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nicodemus_mm

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
[citation][nom]goatsetung[/nom]Is a liquid nitrogen overclock usable? No. Then it's not interesting other than as a gimmick.[/citation]

Good point. Perhaps we should just go back to clocks measured in MHz... or maybe you would be happier with seconds per cycle instead.

LN cooling may not be practical, but most Guinness records aren't. At least it's progress of some form. Yes, efficiency per clock is important, but we'll still need to increase clock rates in the future... at least until quantum computing matures or another tech replaces what we depend on today.

kingtoid

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]It's like the rocket cars going a 500m[h on a salt flat. Interesting show but useless in downtown Manhatten...[/citation]

Do you have any idea how much engineering goes into making that happen? It doesn't mean anything immediately, but it is a proof of concept. When the Bell X1 broke the sound barrier it was thought of as amazing but impractical because it was one guy in a tiny rocket. Less than a decade later we had jet liners cruising at that speed for hours carrying hundreds of people. The Bugatti Veyron (SS) is another example. I mean the thing is road legal. I know people who still don't think that's even possible. As enthusiasts we are unimpressed but psychologically speaking we all need a proof of concept to progress technologically (a la Star Trek.)

:D i keep seeing the similar reaction from the older article about fx's overclock. deja vu.
almost about time someone defends amd and someone blames it on windows 7 and someone accuses intel being 3bil so amd should be supported and someone says amd's software optimizations will take zambezi to newer and higher heights and someone tries to grasp at even more straws despite realizing this record is only a numbers game and regular fx still disappointing.
this oc is on 2 cores, similar to a single, hyperthreaded core (pentium ee, anyone?).
imo the asus motherboard is amazing. people who blamed it for fx's poor performance are wrong.
on to the newer things:
the vcore is ridiculous.
the tdp is 124?! last time it was over 200 iirc.
impressive number nonetheless.
until the next record.

cobra5000

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
All of the Intel fanboys keep screaming "who cares". If the sandy bridge could get to 8.58Ghz, they would be shouting their praises non-stop. Sure, sandy bridge is faster at more things but when AMD beats it at anything the Intel lovers just go nuts. Gripe all you want, it just shows your bias. Sandy Bridge just cant do EVERYTHING, get over it!

AbdullahG

Distinguished
[citation][nom]cobra5000[/nom]All of the Intel fanboys keep screaming "who cares". If the sandy bridge could get to 8.58Ghz, they would be shouting their praises non-stop. Sure, sandy bridge is faster at more things but when AMD beats it at anything the Intel lovers just go nuts. Gripe all you want, it just shows your bias. Sandy Bridge just cant do EVERYTHING, get over it![/citation]
I never owned an Intel CPU (only have been using AMD CPUs), yet news like this doesn't really surprise me since BD isn't what it should have been....

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Fun sure, practical no, no one runs their computers with L2N 24/7 so in the end its like a drag race. Speedy for a sec then its over, nothing to show off on the real roads (still love that there is no speeding limits on computers =))

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
First off, we all know bulldozer was a flop. It's not a gaming chip, it doesn't have "value"... simply put, it sucks.

But OCing chips is kind of like a hobby for a lot of people (like myself). It's not about making an awesome gaming rig (Hell just about any OCed quad core CPU *even the old 775 Core2Quads* are still good enough for high end gaming lol). Hell, I'm still running a 2.5 year old X58 i7 simply because there is no reason to upgrade lol.

But, this article is about making a CPU squeal as hard as it can for a few minutes. It's fun to do. It's a hobby in itself. It says nothing of the chip's value in day to day use.

Sure it's a nerdy hobby, but it's not like anyone who visits Tom's would be considered anything but nerdy lol.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]howardp6[/nom]Totally meaning less. AMD needs to out perform Intel at room temperature.[/citation]
it does, in quite a few benchmarks. some its better then the i7, some its just better than the i5

[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]i keep seeing the similar reaction from the older article about fx's overclock. deja vu.almost about time someone defends amd and someone blames it on windows 7 and someone accuses intel being 3bil so amd should be supported and someone says amd's software optimizations will take zambezi to newer and higher heights and someone tries to grasp at even more straws despite realizing this record is only a numbers game and regular fx still disappointing.this oc is on 2 cores, similar to a single, hyperthreaded core (pentium ee, anyone?).imo the asus motherboard is amazing. people who blamed it for fx's poor performance are wrong.on to the newer things:the vcore is ridiculous.the tdp is 124?! last time it was over 200 iirc.impressive number nonetheless.until the next record.[/citation]

you have to admit that some of the bulldozer benchmarks, something is clearly, and not at the fault of lower per cycle clocks. as its most likely a windows problem, people have to keep pointing it out.

G

ahh, it does still matter to the Intel fanboys otherwise you'd not be posting on here!!!!

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]neoverdugo[/nom]A failure will always be a failure. No matter how much people can crank it up to the max. (And i am an AMD user)[/citation]
That's respected.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Lol all you bitches and haters wouldn't be bitchin and hatin if Intel held the OC record... Don't be such a bunch of pansies. F***** chill.

halcyon

Splendid

Intel DOES hold the OC record. This Bulldozer stunt doesn't even register. :p

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Intel DOES hold the OC record. This Bulldozer stunt doesn't even register.[/citation]

Provide a source or proof and I'll retract my statement. I've tried to find it, but I can't find shit on it lol.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]arson94[/nom]Provide a source or proof and I'll retract my statement. I've tried to find it, but I can't find shit on it lol.[/citation]
Arson, I was troll'n. My apologies, I've had a lot of worms to cast out today and hadn't been fish'n in a while. Was the worm tasty?

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Arson, I was troll'n. My apologies, I've had a lot of worms to cast out today and hadn't been fish'n in a while. Was the worm tasty?[/citation]

lol asshole, i really tried to look for that shit. I just thought I was too drunk to effectively use google haha. I'm gonna get another beer, brb...

Status
Not open for further replies.