AMD Bulldozer Speed Record Broken Again at 8.58GHz

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkdilkington

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]Haters gonna hate.[/citation]"Haters gonna hate" is the biggest cop-out response you can give to an argument. Basically you are washing AMD's hands of any responsibility to make a good product by turning the argument around and making it an ad hominem on the criticizer (ie personal attack).

AMD could literally give customers a box full of feces and you'd still say "Haters will hate".

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
[citation][nom]cobra5000[/nom]All of the Intel fanboys keep screaming "who cares". If the sandy bridge could get to 8.58Ghz, they would be shouting their praises non-stop. Sure, sandy bridge is faster at more things but when AMD beats it at anything the Intel lovers just go nuts. Gripe all you want, it just shows your bias. Sandy Bridge just cant do EVERYTHING, get over it![/citation]

Who cares that type of overclocking can only be done for very short periods of time and has no bearing on anything no matter what speed the chips are running at.

What matters is how fast it can overclock on stock coolers and water cooling and AMD is lacking in that department i2700k beats anything AMD has gaming wise and that is a fact look at the benchmarks.

zankuto

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Phoronix did a test with fully optimized Bulldozer software on linux. Same bs, Bulldozer was super slow. a clock by clock comparison on another site fount that Bulldozer is 40% worse than Phenom II in its IPC. Bottom line: Bulldozer sucks.

G

zankuto: FUD much? Those benchmarks showed Bulldozer being way more competitive than the one's on Tom's, unless you feel the need to insert your own rationale of how good is actually bad:

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=16572
http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=16589

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Yeah, as everyone else has already said, this proves nothing and is also very stupid and annoying.

2 cores? Whoa, slow down now, we wouldn't want the whole world to go in disbelief....

Use all 8 cores, and while you're at it, make it practical and actual usable for heavy usage/load.

The fact that Guinness is ever participating on such a gimmick....is something I can't believe.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]cobra5000[/nom]All of the Intel fanboys keep screaming "who cares". If the sandy bridge could get to 8.58Ghz, they would be shouting their praises non-stop. Sure, sandy bridge is faster at more things but when AMD beats it at anything the Intel lovers just go nuts. Gripe all you want, it just shows your bias. Sandy Bridge just cant do EVERYTHING, get over it![/citation]
Even if SB clocked to 10GHz using ALL cores with LN2, it's something NO ONE would ever talk or brag about.

We care about real world performance - you know, the kind that SB can do; such as the 4Ghz on air, and at the same time, whoop the shit out of anything AMD has to offer.

Clock per clock, SB rapes AMD (everything).

Funny thing, is that Bulldozer HAS to hit 8GHz before it even stands a chance at going up against SB. Enjoy swallowing that.

dtemple

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
I'm not sure why everyone's talking about Intel, they're never mentioned in the original article. All the article says is that the record high clock speed record was just broken. Nobody said it had to do with performance, because back when the highly-inefficient Netburst core was hitting 6GHz+ and everybody at Intel was shouting its praises, nobody at AMD was complaining. They just made AMD64 and moved on.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]leeashton[/nom]yeah if this was intel everyone would be blowing smoke up thier ass, the bulldozer is an amazing piece of technology, for data mining I dont think anyone needs intel now as the bulldozer will SMOKE ANY intel processor at data mining, before you comment on this don't read up on data mining actually do it (like I do), the 8150 will be atleast 3 times faster than a core i7 9980X at data mining[/citation]
Oh yeah? Well my i2500K cooks me bacon every morning. What can your AMD chip do?

get a cooler master hyper 212+ :p
imo fx is much better at heating food..or an entire building during winter. imagine that the 8+ ghz fx 8150 supplying heat to poor homeless people, keeping them warm in the winter cold.
you can oc a few fx 8150s like this and use them at shelters in thailand where people are suffering due to floods.
people can be saved with this! :sol:
we needs moar overclocked fxs.

airborne11b
But, this article is about making a CPU squeal as hard as it can for a few minutes. It's fun to do. It's a hobby in itself. It says nothing of the chip's value in day to day use.

Sure it's a nerdy hobby, but it's not like anyone who visits Tom's would be considered anything but nerdy lol.
+1.
some people just like to find out how far they can take their cpus, push the boundaries further and further.

Homeboy2

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]i keep seeing the similar reaction from the older article about fx's overclock. deja vu.almost about time someone defends amd and someone blames it on windows 7 and someone accuses intel being 3bil so amd should be supported and someone says amd's software optimizations will take zambezi to newer and higher heights and someone tries to grasp at even more straws despite realizing this record is only a numbers game and regular fx still disappointing.this oc is on 2 cores, similar to a single, hyperthreaded core (pentium ee, anyone?).imo the asus motherboard is amazing. people who blamed it for fx's poor performance are wrong.on to the newer things:the vcore is ridiculous.the tdp is 124?! last time it was over 200 iirc.impressive number nonetheless.until the next record.[/citation]
[citation][nom]kingtoid[/nom]Do you have any idea how much engineering goes into making that happen? It doesn't mean anything immediately, but it is a proof of concept. When the Bell X1 broke the sound barrier it was thought of as amazing but impractical because it was one guy in a tiny rocket. Less than a decade later we had jet liners cruising at that speed for hours carrying hundreds of people. The Bugatti Veyron (SS) is another example. I mean the thing is road legal. I know people who still don't think that's even possible. As enthusiasts we are unimpressed but psychologically speaking we all need a proof of concept to progress technologically (a la Star Trek.)[/citation]
and by the time Amd is able to do something practical with its new tech, Intel will be even farther ahead.

Homeboy2

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
[citation][nom]leeashton[/nom]yeah if this was intel everyone would be blowing smoke up thier ass, the bulldozer is an amazing piece of technology, for data mining I dont think anyone needs intel now as the bulldozer will SMOKE ANY intel processor at data mining, before you comment on this don't read up on data mining actually do it (like I do), the 8150 will be atleast 3 times faster than a core i7 9980X at data mining[/citation]
Hear that all you Data Miners out there!

leeashton :
yeah if this was intel everyone would be blowing smoke up thier ass, the bulldozer is an amazing piece of technology, for data mining I dont think anyone needs intel now as the bulldozer will SMOKE ANY intel processor at data mining, before you comment on this don't read up on data mining actually do it (like I do), the 8150 will be atleast 3 times faster than a core i7 9980X at data mining
i haven't seen any data mining figures to compare fx with sandy bridge or a 9980x, this seems purely speculation.

metallifux

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
[citation][nom]GreeneMan510[/nom]Should this even count? He's getting a quarter of the cores on the die to a high speed, sure, but I don't think most folks who buy that chip will want just dual core for that price point. Get all the cores at that speed, and then I MIGHT be impressed.[/citation]

I'm pretty sure hes only getting 1/8 of the cores to that speed. I hope people who see these record breaking headlines go out and buy a bulldozer on the false premise that they are any good for gaming.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
This is getting a little over the edge. OC records are great but why don't they really push the chip to it's limit and then post one result instead of three. Also, it would be more meaningful if the result was stable through Prime 95 and/or other benchmarks

Status
Not open for further replies.