News AMD Can't Beat Ada, So Brags About Old Ampere Comparisons

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nyara

Great
May 10, 2023
I know. I'm in Canada though, so any price variations in the USA will take a month or two to make their way across the border assuming they stick in the first place. And I meant $300 CAN. Taxes bring both the RX6600 and A750 close to $400 CAN.
I checked 5 canadian shops. Arc A750 for $330 CAN in two shops, RX 6600 for $280 CAN in also two shops, RTX 2060 Super 8GB for $320 CAN in one shop, too. Can also import from Amazon/Newegg/Alieexpress for the same total prices, too.

It is worth the upgrade? That depends on you, check any GTX 1650 Ti or GTX 1060 vs RX 6600 game FPS video in youtube + 8GB VRAM for more compatibility and better quality. A lot of people did this same upgrading path and they are happy, but if you find yourself never wanting to play except the same games you do now (and you do not mind running them slower/lower quality at times), then there is no need to pick a new card until your current one dies, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: bit_user

InvalidError

Titan
It is worth the upgrade? That depends on you.
I mostly only play WoW which still hits 60fps with most details about as high as I can bear before visual fatigue from unnecessary GFX becomes an issue, which is why I can be mostly inflexible on my $300 all-inclusive price cap - don't really need it, not going to upgrade unless someone makes an offer I cannot refuse.

I'm hoping the A7xx will get another official price cut now that the software bundle offer has expired.

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
doent really matter what the arc vid cards are priced at, most of those i know, are not interested in arc any more, they were when they were announced, and then as they kept being delayed, the interest, started to fall. then they were released, (drivers ) and that killed it. while some of that interest is back, they dont want to take the chance that due to drivers, something they have wont run, or runs worse. until its driver issues are where they need to be vs radeon and geforce, it will be difficult to sell these cards to some buyers. the trust just isnt there, yet

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I will admit to one error on my argument.

I should have priced CPU's by the core. Since the Athlon I was comparing to had one one core, and the modern CPU's have multiple cores, that would have really shown how really stupid cheap CPU's are getting.
If you're going to do that, then it's only fair to price GPUs by the Shader (AMD) or CUDA Core (Nvidia). That would show GPUs getting stupid cheap, too.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
not going to upgrade unless someone makes an offer I cannot refuse.
If you wait long enough, some other external factor (e.g. mining boom, pandemic, AI boom, TSMC going offline, etc.) will trigger another price spike.

After selling my Radeon VII, my best GPU is even older than yours. I don't need anything faster, right now, but I don't want to get caught out if/when I do.

InvalidError

Titan
If you wait long enough, some other external factor (e.g. mining boom, pandemic, AI boom, TSMC going offline, etc.) will trigger another price spike.
Gaming isn't a necessity. If AMD, Nvidia and Intel abandon the genuine entry-level long enough that my 1050 isn't enough to do anything decently well anymore with no worthwhile replacement in sight, quitting gaming is an option too.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Let's be realistic here. Most people only want AMD to be "more" competitive so they can buy cheaper Nvidia GPUs. A bit stinky really.

Hope AMD cards sale well, then we could get cheaper Nvidia card.
Most predictions don't come true so soon :)

I originally intended to get a previous gen AMD card but they were almost as hard to get at Xmas as the new cards, so I just ended up with a 7900xt.

these topics gemerate clicks, I suspect that is main reason they keep poking this bear.

InvalidError

Titan
Well, just found an open-box A750 for $270 CAN (~$200 US) and went $10 over-budget to buy it at $310 including taxes. Time to see whether I'll like it or decide to take another bicycle trip to return it.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Well, just found an open-box A750 for $270 CAN (~$200 US) and went $10 over-budget to buy it at $310 including taxes. Time to see whether I'll like it or decide to take another bicycle trip to return it.
Congrats!

Over the past month, I've been toying with the idea of picking up a RX 6800, but I think I'll keep waiting. That's more a commentary on me than the GPU, BTW.

If Intel follows through with the rumored Alchemist refresh, then that could be my next acquisition. Otherwise, perhaps I'll give RX 7800 some consideration.

Last edited:
Reactions: King_V

InvalidError

Titan
Congrats!
Well, first impression is: feels like garbage. DP ports aren't working with my monitors and drivers insist on using my UHD TV even when it is unplugged from the GPU, so I have to connect my primary monitor to the IGP to get output and had to spend the first 10min with the card blindly wrangling windows that are outside viewable range to sort that crap out.

If I wasn't technically inclined, that would have made me want to return the stupid thing right away. This isn't the sort of crap a normal consumer would put up with. Failing to detect that a monitor has been unplugged is some awfully basic stuff to fail at out of the box.

Edit: Did a clean driver re-install, now DP ports work. Somehow, I'm getting worse frame rates in WoW than I did on my GTX1050: my 1050 could get steady 60fps in most places yet the A750 is jumping all over the place from 50 to 60 and I have ReBAR enabled, so that isn't it.

Edit2: turns out it was WoW's own in-game "low latency" option that was killing performance, nothing to do with the A750. Works almost completely stutters-and-asset-pops-free now.

Last edited:
Well, first impression is: feels like garbage. DP ports aren't working with my monitors and drivers insist on using my UHD TV even when it is unplugged from the GPU, so I have to connect my primary monitor to the IGP to get output and had to spend the first 10min with the card blindly wrangling windows that are outside viewable range to sort that crap out.

If I wasn't technically inclined, that would have made me want to return the stupid thing right away. This isn't the sort of crap a normal consumer would put up with. Failing to detect that a monitor has been unplugged is some awfully basic stuff to fail at out of the box.

Edit: Did a clean driver re-install, now DP ports work. Somehow, I'm getting worse frame rates in WoW than I did on my GTX1050: my 1050 could get steady 60fps in most places yet the A750 is jumping all over the place from 50 to 60 and I have ReBAR enabled, so that isn't it.
This is why I never recommend the Intel GPUs as much as I want a third player in the graphics card industry. They are too cumbersome to use still. They have lots of little issues that are not always easily rectified, if at all, and their performance is not the best either.

You seem to be getting lower than expected performance in WoW with the a750, most likely a driver issue, because the performance of that card is supposed to be multitudes higher than a 1050.

Ouch... I hope things improve, since on paper it is a better GPU xD

Regards.

InvalidError

Titan
You seem to be getting lower than expected performance in WoW with the a750, most likely a driver issue, because the performance of that card is supposed to be multitudes higher than a 1050.
One of the settings I bumped up was "Built-in Low Latency" and turning that off solved the low frame rate issue. Looks like WoW's built-in "low-latency" option has a stiff CPU penalty somewhere.

Edit: Well, went about doing dailies for a bit as a break-in period, finished my round, hearth and... full system lock-up on load screen. Either the GPU is defective or this is a deal-breaker bug. I normally run my systems for months between reboots, lock-ups every few hours aren't an option.

Edit2: Put on a couple of extra hours, haven't had another crash or deal-breaking anomaly yet. Also tried playing Redout for a bit, turned out to be one of those oddball games where although the A750 was designed for DX12 first, it runs worse than my 1050 on it but works fine in DX11 mode. Revisited FFXV for curiosity's sake, can max most settings up to about QHD or medium-ish UHD, haven't noticed any weirdness there either. Something is causing the memory to stay at 2GHz even at idle with GPU core power in the 35-40W range, which is mildly annoying.

Edit3: Just as I was going to bed, I noticed my keyboard lights flicker, went back to my desk and it turns out my PC had crashed and rebooted again while idle. Looks like I'll be returning the A750.

Edit4: And my computer crashed again while I was thinking about what to try next, which would be putting my GTX1050 back in to verify that my system is still stable without the A750.

Edit5: Another crash shortly after Edit4. The GTX1050 is back in and the A750 is back in its box.

Last edited:
Reactions: helper800

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Arc is still a bit fiddly on the display inputs/outputs. My only lasting complaint. Occasionally it will still fail to output sound via HDMI on wake, but only if the display is turned on and nothing triggers audio. So the most common thing I do is to turn on/off the speakers before waking up the system, works 95% of the time. (My first go with the A380 I had to restart every game I tested to get the audio going)

Some of the really old games I have tried are none too happy with it.

Nyara

Great
May 10, 2023
Edit: Well, went about doing dailies for a bit as a break-in period, finished my round, hearth and... full system lock-up on load screen. Either the GPU is defective or this is a deal-breaker bug. I normally run my systems for months between reboots, lock-ups every few hours aren't an option.
It used to be worse, it was an unplayable crash fest before, they pushed some recent updates which brought it to the current situation and will likely keep working on it, so it might fixed, eventually, or might not, but Intel already spent the capital to work on this for another 4 years at least. This does not happens much at all in more recent games.

The problem with DP is a bit more fun. It is actually a problem produced by specific motherboard bios or how they coded wrong the boot standards. AMD & Nvidia decided to just work around it and solve the problem on their end. Intel instead is forcing the motherboard manufacturers to update all their Bios to get this and other matters correctly.

Once they achieve this they will likely push an update on Arc to workaround like AMD & Nvidia, but not any minute earlier. Updating your bios might potentially do the trick for you meanwhile.

If not feeling like adventuring you can always return it though. I support you on the motion that you just need a card as good as the stuff you wanna play. I was just informing earlier of the price updates since those happened a bit recently.

Last edited:
Reactions: bit_user

InvalidError

Titan
If not feeling like adventuring you can always return it though. I support you on the motion that you just need a card as good as the stuff you wanna play.
A card that is 10X more powerful than I need does me absolutely no good if it crashes my PC 10 times per day. Even one crash per week is one too many for my liking.

Just checked Asus' site and saw there is a 8 months newer BIOS available for my motherboard. I'll give the A750 another chance with that, see if that helps. Not expecting much. If my PC crashes again, I'll return it as probably defective.

Edit: worked for a day, walked away to make and eat dinner, came back, sat down, started playing a video on YouTube, bluescreened again. This A750 is going back to the store tomorrow, may give another A750 a shot if I am offered a new-in-box replacement for the seemingly defective A750 I got.

Last edited:

ManDaddio

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
Ahhhh…that shiny new 4090 in the case was me paying for the privilege of not having to worry about GPUs for the next few years.

Overpriced? I dunno. The best should come at a premium… As for AMD cards… never owned one. Ever.

Nvidia has always been the best. If AMD made a better card I’d buy it.
Amen.
I like RTX features and Nvidia reliability. Never ever had an issue in a decade or before. And I have owned many different gpus. I just upgrade to something each or if I do a new build.
I did buy AMD before and both GPUs died after a few months of serious gaming. That's all I do though.
To be fair they were old school AMD Radeon GPUs. Not the newer ones.
But after that I AMD just left my mind.
Nvidia was and still is reliable and has more features relevant to my needs and how I like to game at high fidelity.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Ouch... I hope things improve, since on paper it is a better GPU xD
Oh, on paper it's a way better GPU! That's the frustrating thing about Alchemist, right?

Back in the GCN era, AMD would often struggle to compete with Nvidia GPUs having only half the raw GFLOPS. It shows that you can't just go by GFLOPS, alone. I'm sure part of the discrepancy was architectural (i.e. requiring high-occupancy) and part was software.

Something is causing the memory to stay at 2GHz even at idle with GPU core power in the 35-40W range, which is mildly annoying.
I think this is a known issue. Alchemist has high idle power, and AFAIK they were only able to partially resolve it through driver fixes. This is one of the reasons I'm holding out for a refresh.

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
I think this is a known issue. Alchemist has high idle power, and AFAIK they were only able to partially resolve it through driver fixes. This is one of the reasons I'm holding out for a refresh.
There is supposedly a "fix" for the high power which requires screwing around with PCIe power management states, which is how I ended up looking for a BIOS update in case there were related changes in there. While looking around my old BIOS for such settings the first time around, I also noticed that on exit-and-save, the changes list often included stuff I hadn't changed (ex.: SpeedStep going from 'auto' to 'disabled' despite me not touching CPU settings or memory timings going back to default despite not touching memory settings), which was another reason for updating.

Edit: done returning the thing.

Last edited: