AMD Catalyst Driver To Be Retired This Year, Company Says Goodbye To An Old Friend

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is fantastic! The interface looks a lot better and these features are great additions to the software! I thought it was fascinating how they ditched the .net framework for this - it's not commonly done. Most all software programmed in C variants use the .net framework, so this is surprising yet interesting that they either used some other or their own framework.

Drivers are one of the biggest hurdles in hardware. AMD has had some issues but the CCC was not bad although a faster control center would be nice they should focus on the drivers themselves.

The name is a bit off though. "Radeon Software Crimson"? I would think "Radeon Crimson Software" would flow a bit better.

srap

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012

Guess we shall see how long that works. Honestly I think the driver package should be one name and the only thing that should change is the version number.

Then again who am I to say.

ksharp25

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
One thing I didn't see mentioned in the article is the fate of the Raptr suite. This also allows you to optimize settings per game installed AND gives you points for playtime. What happens to these points and this program? I have over 12,000 points banked and was building towards a larger reward

G

He is commenting about tom's software.

emayekayee

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Hopefully, they'll address basic installation issues as well. I run for months with outdated AMD/ccc drivers because I know updating will usually involve some combination of registry cleanup, old driver uninstall, safe mode, removing my crossfired second card, etc all while in a horrendous 640x480 desktop.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
Hopefully, they'll address basic installation issues as well. I run for months with outdated AMD/ccc drivers because I know updating will usually involve some combination of registry cleanup, old driver uninstall, safe mode, removing my crossfired second card, etc all while in a horrendous 640x480 desktop.

wow... i just install the new ones as they come when i decided to restart my computer, sometimes its right when it comes out, sometimes its a few weeks/months after, i think i skipped several driver updates... never had that much hell installing the new ones.

XaveT

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2013
I'm just hoping they offer the drivers separate from the GUI as well. The last thing I want is another Catalyst that just clogs up system resources and I never touch it.

IT Professional (instead of Gamer) driver package option please!

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Hopefully the re-write will be more stable for Linux distros. I've had issues with ccc drivers acting up at times. Always fun whenever there is a major kernal update that it blows the drivers out of the water forcing me to do the old CLI command to reinstall it. No big deal as I always keep the ATI folder in my home directory with the last known working version.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Honestly, I wish they'd pare down the basic driver install to the bare minimum and then offer all the other stuff as additional, optional download modules. I don't need or desire the Apple-esque suite of garbage I'll never use or the fancy installer that phones home to show me new adds while reporting which modules I do/don't install, etc. Just the basic 2MB driver install for me, please.

The Microsoft default driver you use when uninstalling catalyst supports much higher resolutions than 640x480. It even defaults to my native resolution on all of my laptops.

wow... i just install the new ones as they come when i decided to restart my computer, sometimes its right when it comes out, sometimes its a few weeks/months after, i think i skipped several driver updates... never had that much hell installing the new ones.

I usually do the extra work like described above because there can be conflicts when updating without uninstalling the old drivers. It doesn't really take very long to be honest; it only takes a few minutes if you know what you're doing. It's usually not as important to do this except when doing something like upgrading from a legacy card to a new one or when switching graphics companies, so just doing a minor update is usually fine without this.

Status
Not open for further replies.