AMD Clarifies 2013 Radeon Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

horaciopz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
i like the idea, better driver support for the actual gpu generation,so we can squish as much as possible our cards. Also we need games that can actually use all the power that todays cards have, i mean a 7850 can run everything at 1080p at high or even ultra so thats enough for most folks out there, including me lol

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
spending money on drivers and hopefully interface is not a bad idea considering it has been using the same tired .net dependent catalyst menus and crappy control panel since like 2000.

ryan5609

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Good. Just bought a 7970 and I am glad it will not be completely outdated by years end. AMD built a good product with the 7000 series in general. AMD will remain competitive until Nvidia releases their 700 series, so what is the rush?

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
Well they must know something about what Nvidia is doing. Because even if sales of the 7xxx are good now they surely can't expect that to continue once Nvidia's 7xx comes out.

AMD must figure:

"Nvidia isn't going to do anything with their 7xx this year or the new 7xx isn't anthing we can't match with tweaks to our 7xxx so either way we can push the 8xxx to next year"

Talk about leaving the door open if they don't have some inside info on Nvidia's plan.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]g-unit1111[/nom]Please fix micro stuttering. Please fix micro stuttering. Please fix micro stuttering.[/citation]

That is an issue with crossfire AND sli. Its due to the "communication" between cards. If you don't like it, buy a single card. Either way, its not AMD's fault.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

The problem can exist with single cards as well. My 5870 micro stuttered like crazy on WoW and I've seen others running Single 7xxx cards that do it as well. 13.2 drivers and V-sync fixed most of it but not all.

[citation][nom]ibjeepr[/nom]The problem can exist with single cards as well. My 5870 micro stuttered like crazy on WoW and I've seen others running Single 7xxx cards that do it as well. 13.2 drivers and V-sync fixed most of it but not all.[/citation]

Micro-stutter is a symptom of non-perfect timing between multiple GPUs in a Crossfire or SLI array. Single GPU cards don't get micro-stutter. They can have many other types of stutter such as sub-second variable frame rate and more, but not micro-stutter.

realibrad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
I think AMD is holding back their new GPUs because the consoles are launching soon. AMD makes an APU, and needs to sell those badly. If you release new GPUs, some will get them, and a new cpu which will likely be Intel. Why drive up pressure when they can use HD7000s and make more money.

Why make the console APU look so weak, by releasing a gpu that blows it away? better to sell their APUs and get some money flowing into the CPU part of the company where AMD is hurting.

[citation][nom]the great randini[/nom]I think i speak for gamers all over the globe when i say "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO".[/citation]

It isn't the first time that AMD and Nvidia will have tweaked their architectures. Nvidia did well with Fermi and AMD did a fine job of it too with Radeon 6800 compared to Radeon 5000/6700/6600/6500/6400 and those are just recent examples.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

Ok fair enough but sub-second variable frame rate is commonly also refered to as micro-stutter.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]ibjeepr[/nom]The problem can exist with single cards as well. My 5870 micro stuttered like crazy on WoW and I've seen others running Single 7xxx cards that do it as well.[/citation]
I do not remember seeing any significant amounts of stuttering in WoW with my HD5770 and almost everything at Ultra. Must be a new feature from 5.x - I haven't played after 4.3.

The only time I remember seeing lots of stuttering in WoW was before I upgraded from 4GB to 8GB RAM, the reason being that 4GB does not leave enough RAM for the OS' disk cache to hold all recently accessed map data when flying around towns or crowded areas so the game ends up continuously reloading from HDD.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

I don't recall seeing any "sub-second variable frame rate" (as it's been pointed out to me), on my HIS IceQ 5770 either. I have 12gb or ram so it isn't a system memory thing. If I remember correctly though, when AMD acknowledged the problem they said it was due to drivers and memory management on the cards.

Edit: spelling and grammer...

That problem that AMD was referring to has since been fixed and it was an issue with some Radeon 7000 cards, mostly just Tahiti cards IIRC, not the older VLIW5 generation such as the Radeon 5770.

A lot of people refer to performance per Hz as IPC for CPUs. No offense intended by this statement, but that it's a common mistake doesn't make it any less wrong and confusing when people try to talk about it ;)

The same is true about the different types of stutter. Getting them mixed up can make it difficult for people to help when issues arise.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

It's definitely frame latency (aka micro stutter, at least until saying Frame Latency or something else catches on). The Techreport video that demonstrates it is exacly what I'm experiencing. In WoW the background scroll clearly demonstrates the lag spikes. 13.2 drivers and Vsync took care of it for the most part but not completely. Even the Nvidia cards show it a little though. Whether or not it supposedly effects older cards or not, I can say if definitely does.

All cards can have stutter issues that frame latency reveals. Also, if you look into some of TechReport's articles, you may notice how they specifically state the difference between a few types of stutter. Proper terms caught on with most of the good reviewers a long time ago and it's just up to the readers to catch up.

Status
Not open for further replies.