AMD closes at $6.08 today

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

Yes. Although both uses programs to calculate their own TDP, AMD is slightly less accurate than Intel's.

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007

So Baron actually got one?

But again correct me if I'm wrong, but to reach 130W TDP a 45nm CPU would have to be pushed to its absolute limits with extra voltage, etc.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

You have to push it to 4Ghz to achieve over 130W.

teh_boxzor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007

TC has got the best comebacks technology-wise..... :lol:

man mid-60's in detroit? its low 40's in southern california

sailer

Splendid

You guys sure live in nice and warm areas. Here in my area of Nevada, we've been getting 12-20 degree weather, along with too much snow and a bit of flooding. Gotta love my 4 wheel drive though. It churns through everything so far. Haven't had to chain it up yet.

As to the AMD prices, ENOUGH ALREADY! :fou: This is like a countdown at Cape Canaveral; 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. :ouch: When's it going to end? I might just buy a new AMD cpu and a couple ATI video cards in protest! Maybe I'll show them to my future grandkids someday and tell them about how AMD was once a proud company, before their chips became museum relics.

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007

I use my PC for work. I run my entire company on it from design to accounting. I can't aford a minute of downtime. So I'm not touching the voltage in OCing my CPU. I need stone cold relability and longevity. Then when Nehalem comes out it can be trashed. Who cares then.

We realy havent messed up this planet much, have we? I have a friend in Windsor who emailed me that he was RIDING today! DAMN!

sailer

Splendid

Don't know about that. I saw reading an article a while back about Greenland. As the ice is melting, they're discovering old Viking villages that were abandoned to encroaching ice about 600 years ago. Seems that Greenland once was a lot greener than we thought is was, and the earth was a lot warmer centuries ago without the help of man-made pollution. Don't know any real answers here, but this weather is sure unpredictable now.

What else? He's a Canadian.

RCMP%20TUNIC%20RED%20SERGE.jpg

RCMP.jpg

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007

Sweet ride. An old AMF Ironhead I sold him years ago. He's put a 240 on the back and has a 23" dirt bike rim on the front with an AME 14 degree rake kit and 8" overs. When I sold it the tank was red and had an original Then Came Bronson masoinc pyramid eye stiker on it. He's painted it purple metalflake since.

I know that the jury is stil out on what has caused the warming, but I've been up in the Arctic and talked to the local folks and they old Inuit swear that everything ahs changed since they were kids. The ice was solid year round back then. And growing up in Toronto, I always heard stories about people who used to drive right across the lake to Rochester in the wintr.

teh_boxzor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
All that Global warming crap is bull. In Astronomy its been proven that the earth goes through hot and cold cycles every 5000 years or so...due to the inclination of our planet to the solar systems equator.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

Think of all those NetBurst cpu's still out there heating up the planet. That is really what is causing global warming. Blame Intell for that one.

Think Globally, Drink Locally.

I won't disagree with you there. I never bought an Intel Spaceheater. I was riding comfortably in an Athlon 2800+(Barton). Then I went to the Athlon 64 X2 3200+, I was going through my box of computer shiznit yesterday and found my old retail box for that proc.

teh_boxzor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
I had an intel netburst. The first time i ever tinkered in a computer was in a pentium 4 non-HT, i didn't even know of AMd at the time, and that time i thought gigahertz meant everything. Curse my dad for feeding me lies.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

I still have my 2500+ Barton (out in the garage somewhere). I could OC that bad boy to a 3200+ buy just raising the FSB from 133 to 166.

I also got a Athlon 64 3200+ but mine was a single core. That was 2004 when I got that one.

2500+ Barton= kick ass processor

2500+ non-Barton, not so good. (edit: good, but not kick ass uber leet like the Barton)

teh_boxzor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007