AMD CMO Nigel Dessau Leaving Company

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]sonofliberty08[/nom]yes, someone has to respond for the poor marketing plan[/citation]
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Marketing?...how about poor performance. It's about Bulldozer being a total flop.[/citation]

Indeed, marketing can only do so much. I could just imagine the looks on their faces when they realized that for daily use it was slower than the 2 year old processors it replaced, with a higher wattage, and required a partially new platform... I would have handed in my resignation right there and then.

Anyone get the feeling like the design nerds have too much power there? I get this odd feeling that those in charge are letting a team of engineers go nuts with crazy ideas and need to reign them in a little. Granted, you dont want to scare off the talent that pays the bills... but with talent like that they could perhaps let a few of them go to motivate others into designing chips that work well for normal use, and not just high end crazy super threaded instances.

G

it`s kinda obvius(spelling?) why he was let go, i mean instead of ramping upp the hype and expectations they should have been much more loow key and honest about it, they made in my eyes things even worse, so why keep a marketing division that only shoots the company in the foot? it`s not school were you can take the failured test again,

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I will put on my shades and head off into the Texas sun.

Don't worry you will see all of your old friends at AMD in the unemployment line.

Perhaps that was a poor taste in a joke. But you know things aren't good when executives start bailing off of the ship.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]Indeed, marketing can only do so much. I could just imagine the looks on their faces when they realized that for daily use it was slower than the 2 year old processors it replaced, with a higher wattage, and required a partially new platform... I would have handed in my resignation right there and then.Anyone get the feeling like the design nerds have too much power there? I get this odd feeling that those in charge are letting a team of engineers go nuts with crazy ideas and need to reign them in a little. Granted, you dont want to scare off the talent that pays the bills... but with talent like that they could perhaps let a few of them go to motivate others into designing chips that work well for normal use, and not just high end crazy super threaded instances.[/citation]

again, it only really sufferes in the single core department, and most programs moved past that, and whats never said is that even at half speed in single core, thats more than enough for most applicants to the point you wont notice it.

also the first amd chip with threading, and its a different method than intels hyper threading, in concept, it is better, but practice... not yet, it has beaten the i7 in some benchmarks. with windows 8 we will see its true performance, and with a revision 2, probably see a jump in single core performance, unless they abandoned single core completely.

in all honesty, if i was part of amd in a decision making position, i would stand behind bulldozer and to hell with the single core. and work with major software makers to implement amd optimized solutions, i mean that's all that the bulldozer really lacks. i would also blast anyone who refuses help, and refuses to go multicore, i mean seriously, its been what, 5 years sense intel all but abandoned single core on mainstream, and there are still applications that aren't multicore, much less multi threaded.

looking at benchmarks, the bulldozer can surpass the i7, but poor implementation... that bit them in the ass this time around, this isn't cores where they have an effect almost imedatly, these are threads, and even intel has problems with them for a long time.

[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]Don't worry you will see all of your old friends at AMD in the unemployment line.Perhaps that was a poor taste in a joke. But you know things aren't good when executives start bailing off of the ship.[/citation]

have you seen amds marketing? god i would jump ship before i was fired if i was him too...

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I would say that Bulldozer was marketed as best as it could have been, excitement was generated and people were on the tip of their seats (note AM3+ sales were semi decent without a single benchmark being out)

Where AMD fell down was production. Too little, too late, and the price is currently OTT (poor yields from crap production)

Personally, I hated AMD marketing, because it was full of total bullshit.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Build a superior product and retailers would come knocking at your door. Build an inferior product and you would have to go knock on the retailers' doors at lot of times. But some could sell even the most crappy product like Windows 1.0

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]Look at apple. 99% marketing 1% outsourcing production and development of products. yet they sell millions of crapiness.[/citation]

keep in mind, they only can make the phones and tablets, they failed for years at computers.

Device Unknown

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
My thoughts are this; Management is bailing because of AMD's new stance on being non-competitive. AMD's leadership seems happy with mediocrity. The ones bailing are the ones that want adventure and challenge.

[citation][nom]phatbuddha79[/nom]sinking ship...maybe they should've named the chip Titanic instead of Bulldozer, would've been more fitting.[/citation]
that is the funniest comment i have read all year. Toms should hold a funniest comment of the year competition. Hopefully the prize isnt a Titani......uh, i mean bulldozer CPU.
But really, any company that loses employees left right and centre like this ends up in a worse way. Even if someone who has been at a company a long time isn't doing the greatest job, they at least know the ins and outs of their job and the company. Stick 5 new people in a company and all you have is 5 new people who don't know what they are doing, regardless of their qualifications. Bulldozer was a mistake, but for the last few years they have been losing experienced staff, which is possibly worse.

saneej

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
My opinion is (Neutral), This is not good situ.. this will slow down performance war. Both competitors must b in strength position. It made so many benefits to the wold so far. Also, this competition only made Apple & other platform manufactures to get washed away by performance. They have bottle-neck in marketing most of the time, while others markets well with bottle-neck in technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.