AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 114 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

8350rocks

Distinguished

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/29/amd_papermaster_steamroller_seamicro_opteron/

Add all the changes up on the integer side of the core module and there will be a 30 per cent increase in operations per clock cycle for Steamroller over Piledriver. That's a process node or so right there without actually having to go through it. There's hope for AMD yet. It's a pity that these Steamroller changes can't be combined with a jump from 28 nanometer wafer baking processes down to 22 nanometer or 20 nanometer processes at the same time.

jdwii

Splendid

Agreed newcomers to this forum forgot to not over hyped products. They will be disappointed.

lilcinw

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

Tom's had a different take on the presentation. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD-Steamroller-Piledriver-Kaveri-processors,17217.html

I will watch the video of his talk when I get time and see if he explains what the slides actually mean.

lilcinw

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

Yup. I was caught up in the hype that was being spewed prior to the BD launch.

I try to not let my enthusiasm get the better of me now.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
It's better to anticipate lower and be pleasantly surprised by higher performance, than repeat the BD launch.

The question is still, when is it going to get here. If I've learned anything this year about AMD it's when they say something is shipping it can mean another 5 months until it's on the shelves. Which means a December shipping (to make the 2H statements true) could be April on the shelves. That puts it a bit too close to Broadwell (14nm) for my liking.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Good! This seems to confirm the softpedia rumour about a 45% improvement over Bulldozer.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Paper launch for Richland meant a 3 month delay until retailers had the product. I am looking at Q1 2014 for a firm date on the FX series. Kaveri is the product rumored to launch Q4 2013, with opterons and FX series coming the following quarter.

As for enthusiasm, well, with Jim Keller overseeing this project for 18 months by the time Kaveri launches, I have no doubts that they will make all the engineering improvements exactly as planned, and that the guesstimated expectations are going to be really close to actual gains.

I think that Steamroller will hit the shelves in Summer-Autumn perhaps rushed due to Team Blue's newest product (Haswell), I would suspect the FX6/85XX to be a ~30% improvement over PD especially IPC, and if Haswell truly is only a 10% gain, it will get Steamrolled by Steamroller in a Phenom II sort of fashion (Value for Money) no flamebait intended. Richland is looking attractive and may very well be AMD's path to success while they rebuild.

tonync_01

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Has anyone see anymore news about the 2nd gen piledriver cpus that are supposedly being released in June? What kind of performance increase is expected? Will we see a FX-8450?

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

FX 4350 and FX 6350. http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20130311070551_AMD_Quietly_Starts_to_Sell_Two_New_Six_Core_and_Quad_Core_FX_Processors.html

There will be no FX 8450.

it will get Steamrolled by Steamroller

This is exactly what kind of discussion AMD marketing had in mind with this naming convention.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Since PD is already around the 4GHZ mark , i wonder how much more can AMD increase the stock speeds of the SR chips.

I personally thikn that they wont be raising the clocks more than 200MHZ. This means that of the 15-20% stock Vs stock perf improvement SR should have, 12-15% would be from IPC ! :O

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Enthusiasm is fine but realistically Kaveri was either done or in final design by the time Jim Keller came back. These things have a really long development cycle. He can effect Excavator and Jaguar 2.0.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
I could see 45% in certain applications. But actual core performance, close to 35%. Another thing AMD didn't mention is what speed these CPUs will run at. For all we know they could be clock for clock on par with Intel. Once Kaveri comes around, we'll know what SR is capable of. I predict AMD Kaveri APUs will surpass the i3s in CPU performance and maybe be bihind the i5 :D

tonync_01

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
The Richland results are looking quite impressive, albeit if you are on a higher end Trinity then its more prudent to wait for the Kaveri part to come out, maybe jump up to the FM2 DDR4/GDD5 trimmed boards to maximise the performance. Otherwise if you have case the 6800K is definitely a nice step up on the 5800K

ah, that one. it still doesn't say overall 30% speedup from piledriver, unless i've misunderstood what '30% max improvement on integer 'side'' means...unless the cpu has no other 'sides' or 'cache' and the performance trickles down (or bursts out, if it's that big) all the way to end user without any hindrance. looks a lot like a single area (of the cpu) performance improvement before other factors like cache, component choice comes into play - just like other individual, double-digit performance improvements were being discussed. i'll even say that the source that this article misinterprets (and you're seemingly trying to misrepresent ;)) doesn't even mention piledriver in that context, it just says '30% improvement'.
as for processes, i don't know much about them but i keep reading that there isn't 'much difference' between 28nm bulk and 32nm soi processes, so it could end up being another '"look we're 28nm but not telling which kind!! :no: :sol: :pt1cable:". i am just happy that i probably won't be confused and disappointed if the cpu behaves like a 32nm one. i'll still be ignorant about what those differences mean though. :lol:

btw, can anyone help me understand what the heck does integer side even mean? seems like a carefully chosen phrase to appease the audience or to confuse 'less knowing' journalists (looking atcha wccfghijklmnocredtech). does integer side mean the integer clusters? integer calculations? "bulldozer: the electric boogaloo"?

anyway, my point was to not question what amd can or cannot achieve, just the spreading of what seems like misinformation.

just read the firs.... waitaminute - that's the line from my first post in this thread. this one seems like a spammer, like the ones that copied lines from another post and added a hidden link to them.

They are talking about Opterons and Seamicro in that article, not surprised they are focusing on Integer operations as they are par for HPC and Server systems.

Again I am going to settle on the 20% general performanc improvements over PD, its realistic and feasible also substantial. Should more come out of it then great.

Well, they did their homework with PD and increased FP throughout put by 25%. If they increase around stuf f(cache latency, clock, etc) the overall package will be good IMO. IB was in striking range from AMD's stong point in PD (integer perf), so they'll be focusing on Integer now. Seems logical for the server fight.

Also, not news, but a good piece of history:
http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/04/the-rise-and-fall-of-amd-how-an-underdog-stuck-it-to-intel/

Cheers!

guskline

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Haswell is being fabbed and soon to be released. What do we have from AMD on Steamroller?
Recycled old articles.

Maybe CEO Rory was serious about moving in a new direction.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

AMD is just in a "quiet period" right now. .. Whatever that means.

Status
Not open for further replies.