AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 112 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

8350rocks

Distinguished

You must have missed the part that I quoted above...

AMD supports Open64 as a complementary compiler to GCC

AMD open64 cannot be slower than GCC unless you don't set it up optimally, open64 has thousands of options to optimize your code generation for anything from very generic to very specific tasks. It is an architecturally adjusted, AMD optimized compiler...but that does not mean that you don't have to tell it what to do. AMD open64 can be a faster compiler than ICC if you "tune" it properly.

You must understand as well, that AMD has a list of optimizations to GCC to generate optimal code as well. GCC is an open source compiler, as well, so you could theoretically use whichever you want, and AMD recommends either one. They have a list of optimizations for GCC, and an entire compiler suite for AMD open64.

http://devgurus.amd.com/thread/113910

There's a thread from the AMD developer's website that offers a few pages with links from AMD that actually goes more in depth and shows some benchmarks running optimized open64 beating a GCC compiled program as well.

As far as how much it is in use...I would say anyone developing for AMD or using AMD hardware dev kits is likely compiling on either GCC or AMD open64, depending on preference. Those with an eye toward more control would likely use AMD open64, but GCC may very likely be the more common entity between the 2. You can use AMD open64 to compile for nearly any OS that is based on x86-64, much like GCC...I could not speculate as to what the penetration is...though I can say that AMD open64 is finding it's way into more and more dev kits since the AMD dev kits shipped for the upcoming consoles.

8350rocks

Distinguished

There is a LLVM fork of the open64 compiler...where was wikipedia wrong? They were accurate.

So far as I know, the most popular LLVM open source compiler is open64...especially considering Nvidia contributes to, and helps support, that particular version of the compiler...I would imagine they use it.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

Of course it can be. Because the open64 is forked/based on GCC 4.5/GCC4.6 version.
The latest GCC 4.7.3 is miles ahead of these old versions. In fact, GCC4.5 is EOL.
The basic problem with forking/basing is that you have to rebase and rebase your code continously to incluyse the latest branch from the mainline. Since GCC has (as a rough estimate) 100 times more contributors than Open64, GCC very very quickly marches ahead of Open64. So when it began, it was the same as GCC. Now, it is horribly old.

You must understand as well, that AMD has a list of optimizations to GCC to generate optimal code as well. GCC is an open source compiler, as well, so you could theoretically use whichever you want, and AMD recommends either one. They have a list of optimizations for GCC, and an entire compiler suite for AMD open64.

AMD has a list of options for AMD. They are called as bdver1, bdver2 and bdver3, nocona, barcelona(IIRC).
My point is that you set the max possible optimisation in GCC, and set the max possible optimisation in open64.
The GCC code will be faster in majority of applications.

http://devgurus.amd.com/thread/113910
There's a thread from the AMD developer's website that offers a few pages with links from AMD that actually goes more in depth and shows some benchmarks running optimized open64 beating a GCC compiled program as well.
As far as how much it is in use...I would say anyone developing for AMD or using AMD hardware dev kits is likely compiling on either GCC or AMD open64, depending on preference. Those with an eye toward more control would likely use AMD open64, but GCC may very likely be the more common entity between the 2. You can use AMD open64 to compile for nearly any OS that is based on x86-64, much like GCC...I could not speculate as to what the penetration is...though I can say that AMD open64 is finding it's way into more and more dev kits since the AMD dev kits shipped for the upcoming consoles.

open64 could be in PS4 and Xbawx720 SDK. But AMD hasnt yet made any announcement yet. And i hoghly doubt it. These days, the fastest compiler is LLVM and GCC.
Since LLVM is much more portable to be used as a backend, i think that the new console SDK's will be using a LLVM backend.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

The most popular LLVM open source compiler is LLVM itself.

especially considering Nvidia contributes to, and helps support, that particular version of the compiler...I would imagine they use it.

Yes, but they dont contribute to the mainline Open64 code tree. Which means, that Nvidia has a copy of the open64 code, and they keep on improving/customization it to suit their specific needs. BUT, they dont submit that code to the main O64 code tree.
Which means anybody who is not NV is using the stock, old code.

8350rocks

Distinguished

That doesn't negate the fact that Nvidia is using source code from the open64 compiler to compile their CUDA drivers and software.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I tend to see open64 as a fork of GCC. I don't know what you mean by optimized version, but the GCC produces fastest code for AMD chips in many occasions. Check

http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1110214-AR-FXCOMPILE51

8350rocks

Distinguished

Straight out of the box, sure, but AMD helps to tweak the source code for AMD open64 to allow the user to compile in the manner they prefer with the options to generate the fastest code being able to be adjusted based on your task at hand.

@mayan: I agree, the discussion has been had at this point, the next update to the compiler will arrive with steamroller. Though, I think with Raja Kudori returning to AMD, it wouldn't surprise me to see that the next compiler update is quite a bit better right out of the box. I expect Crossfire will be what he turns his attention to first though.

AMD is assembling some seriously good talent. Keller, Gustafson, Kudori....these are great engineering minds in their respective fields of expertise.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
@mayan: I agree, the discussion has been had at this point, the next update to the compiler will arrive with steamroller. Though, I think with Raja Kudori returning to AMD, it wouldn't surprise me to see that the next compiler update is quite a bit better right out of the box. I expect Crossfire will be what he turns his attention to first though.

uhh.. i meant something near, like when Phoronix publishes a new benchmarking article :) But lets leave it here.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
AMD is assembling some seriously good talent. Keller, Gustafson, Kudori....these are great engineering minds in their respective fields of expertise.

The hardware fruits of their labour will appear atleast after 2-2.5 years. The challenge for AMD is to remain competitive and profitable till then.

Software improvements could come sooner. Maybe 3-4 months even.

8350rocks

Distinguished

When steamroller releases in Q1 2014 for desktops, Keller will have been there 18-21 months. I am willing to bet he has already put his hands on this project, and since he was one of the fore most minds behind the K7/K8 architecture, AMD would be fools not to let him have free reign. We all know what kind of prosperity they enjoyed in the market place with that chip architecture.

I am betting that will be more than enough to remain competitive, and I would wager excavator is going to be something really special since he will basically be guiding that project from womb to tomb.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

An Intel engineer cited that new hires would spend about four months with the company before they felt as though they were contributing anything. I'm pretty sure these guys don't get hired just to sit around and "adjust" for two years.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
When steamroller releases in Q1 2014 for desktops, Keller will have been there 18-21 months. I am willing to bet he has already put his hands on this project, and since he was one of the fore most minds behind the K7/K8 architecture, AMD would be fools not to let him have free reign. We all know what kind of prosperity they enjoyed in the market place with that chip architecture.

I am betting that will be more than enough to remain competitive, and I would wager excavator is going to be something really special since he will basically be guiding that project from womb to tomb.

AFAIK, Excavator was designed before AMD hired Jim Keller. Now, i cant say if AMD had already designed excavator in every detail, or had they only decided that certain "check-box features will be present in excavator" , and left the actual, super low level details for later.
In any case, i am not sure how much Jim Keller's influence will be there.

An Intel engineer cited that new hires would spend about four months with the company before they felt as though they were contributing anything. I'm pretty sure these guys don't get hired just to sit around and "adjust" for two years.

That would be true for a low/mid engineer. For people like Jim, he would be contributing from the Day 1.

this is old news. going by my limited knowledge, i assume non-intel fabs are facing more problems fitting finfet into their roadmaps. they're also facing problems building 'real' full node shrinks (that's why the 14nm-'xm' stuff). i dunno if nodes for low power are easier to build or not... . since 28nm is roughly 2 years late, next nodes won't be any earlier (if current trend follows).

as for amd's new hires - software is obviously the easiest and earliest field to impact, more so than hardware which takes years to design. i think anandtech's assumption is more or less right. i'd also assume excavator has already been cancelled once and the new guys will likey put a new 'spin' on it. lame pun intended.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

Say one thing for Intel, say they have the most advanced fabrication.
BTW, i read some time back that some fab (sammy or glofo or TSMC) are looking to skip a node, because its more technically advantageous to do so.

as for amd's new hires - software is obviously the easiest and earliest field to impact, more so than hardware which takes years to design. i think anandtech's assumption is more or less right

Where do you think i got my estimate from ? :p

on the more positive note, we might see some really innovative hardware designs in upcoming years, to compensate for fabrication disadvantage. chances are amd, nvidia finally take power efficiency seriously and make some exciting new hardware instead of amd's bd/pd or nvidia's bifurcated kepler (sacrificed balance for perf/watt for each sector)...

edit: i don't think non-intel fabs have recovered from the setbacks they faced during transitioning from 45nm to 32nm yet (tsmc cancelled it's, glofo delayed and so on). i dunno exactly what happened but that's how it seems to me.

Im taking it as, 20nm is just a showing, while everyone anticipates the 16nm finfet, which could mean 20nm may not have great designs, as theyll be compromised for 14nm finfet.
This is only IF the 14nm comes out on the heels of 20nm of course.
You can design for one node and switch it for another as weve seen lately, if the smaller nodes doesnt show up, not so sure about going to finfet tho from non finfet

No, but the characteristics are beyond the norm going from planar to finfet.
If it were usual node to node shrink, it would be fine, but wringing out every bit of perf/power on any new design sets this in a whole new territory, as the fabs themselves will be in a larger learning curve, which makes collaboration more a guessing game than usual

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
Steamroller would offer the best gaming cpu.

Why? Because eurogammer has done a poll among game developers and all them selected the FX-8350 as better for future gaming. This seems related to the chip being better at multi-threaded games and the close relation with next console hardware. They offer a crysis 3 benchmark where the FX wins over the intel i5-3750k and the i7-3770k.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-future-proofing-your-pc-for-next-gen

We know that Haswell i7-4770k will be only 10% faster than the i7-3770k. Steamroller only would be only 10% faster than Piledriver to be again selected as better gaming cpu. And we wait about 30% improvement with Steamroller, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.