AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 110 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
Lol, I am enjoying this popcorn while reading this conflict of Egos.

Anyways, I know this isn't AMD news, But it's interesting. Is AMD actually gaining stock this much?

http://www.techoftomorrow.com/2013/pc/nvidia-700-series-video-cards-coming-soon/

The official Nvidia statement not that long ago was a 2014 release, I don't know if this is just what Nvidia fans want or just recycled speculated fud, after all Kepler was about 6 months later than its rumored release.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

As far as I know, Elric is pretty spot on. He's actually working with newegg right now. And He was right on the Titan release. I think he was one of the first to post the rumors.

The projections on AMD and Nvidia's top end next generation parts will make them 10-20% faster than the Titan, the normal RRP's for these cards is $500 give or take, if nvidia released the GTX780 at that price it will all but eat the Titan's sales.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

since your so smart, then explain to everyone here how you can use ICC switches to force AVX code to run on a BD cpu. Then explain what happens when you try to run that same code on a Phenom II or Via cpu.

Don't just sit there and try to belittle people, step up with some real argument or step down and walk away.

Now, to get this back on track, hopefully it hasnt been posted yet

AMD started shipping its next generation APU code-named “Kabini” in the quarter.
• “Kabini” targets ultrathin notebooks with exceptional battery life and offers impressive
levels of performance in both dual- and quad-core options. “Kabini” is expected to deliver
an increase of more than 50 percent in performance1 over the previous generation of
AMD essential computing APUs (codenamed “Brazos 2.0.”)
http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74093&p=irol-eventDetails&EventId=4901035

anubis44

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008

Yes.

Absolutely right.

You tell 'em. Been saying this for a while now myself. AMD's been seeding the game developers with info, programming resources, probably even cash incentives, and these big game houses are now seeing all three major consoles turning AMD. Looks to me like AMD wants to own gaming hardware, and they're deadly serious about targeting game makers, console makers and the back-end game server markets. Looks like a comprehensive strategy to own the gaming market, and it looks like it's really working, too.

^^ seems so. looks like RR is doing things right.
but why isn't gpu revenue higher than before? i mean 3% up from last quarter's... even after attractive game bundles and such... their income actually decreased from last quarter, i didn't expect that.

jdwii

Splendid

I remember they were talking about a turnaround like Apple that would be pretty epic. Honestly you would have to be naive to look at those results and not say the company isn't turning around, funny i think i read Intel's profits fell 25% this quarter.

i am pretty optimistic about amd start making money after q4 2013 and onwards once kaveri, new consoles come out. my conerns were that the marketing efforts behind gfx cards were only helping them to break even in terms fo sequential income (...?) yet make less money from last quarter and much less from last year when gcn cards were the only new lineup.
as for intel, their profits fell 25%, not revenue. probably means that less people bought overpriced blue stuff.

Simple, people aren't buying tons of PC's. The PC desktop market is saturated in all modern countries. They've become as common as stoves, refrigerators and telephones. People tend to replace their PC only when it breaks or is so old it can no longer do what they want it to do. As enthusiasts we're constantly tinkering and buying new stuff but more consumers don't do that. They buy prepackaged PC's from OEM's and then stay with it for four to six years before changing it out again. OEM's been feeling the pain lately too. As AMD has a smaller market share it's getting less sales then Intel is.

That's the primary reason AMD is pushing APU's, they know the day of large desktop PC's being commonplace is coming to an end. There will always be room for people like us but they need to plan around the common household and that means consoles, mobile applications and SFF systems. SFF systems are the next thing to take off, previously the manufactures were never able to get them small enough, cheap enough or stylish enough to make a mass market appeal. This is slowly changing as I witnessed the other day. Coworker took the M350 case, put his own board into it with a USB wireless keyboard controller and wireless network adapter hidden in the front face plate. His plan was to mount it behind his large LCD TV using the VESA mounting brackets that came with it. The whole thing will be completely out of sight yet able to communicate with this home network via 802.11N and wireless keyboard / XBOX controller access. Basically an invisible media PC that acts like it's part of the TV.

That's the kind of stuff we'll be seeing integrated into everything in the future, just like home NAS's were.

There may be a all-in-one ITX system coming based on the exact same specs seen in console, but for desktop trim. Sapphire have already prototype the board with what looks to be like a lot of DDR5 solder points and passive cooling. AMD did say they would consider a PC based prototype. This could be a massive money spinner but for the stumbling point on price.

We sell a lot of Prodigy based systems. Our affiliation with ASRock means we get good rates on the new FM2A85X ITX board and this really magnifies the APU's true value, together with 7 SATA ports this is a very compious HTPC/Media centre or console like setup. I just don't like the Prodigy all that much for its excessive footprint which is bigger than a lot of MATX cases.

They still lost ~$150 Million, on track for a ~$600 Million loss for the year. And also remember that ~$160 Million sale of their campus in Austin? Factor that into the numbers and you get a ~$300 Million loss for the quarter based sorely on AMD products line.

So yeah, call me when AMD starts making actual money,

I agree somewhat, but Desktops aren't going away. They may shrink a bit (think console form factor), but there is going to always be demand for a product with more processing power then mobile.

Again, I expect Laptops, Netbooks, and Consoles to start vanishing, replaced by the Smartphone/Tablet form factor. That is actually very dangerous for Intel/AMD, because X86 does not have even a remote foothold in those markets. The biggest worry is actually WinRT: If that actually succeeds (it won't, but lets pretend here), you have a Windows OS on a non-X86 processor arch with actual application support. Just saying, its the way to free MSFT from X86.

well... amd being the smaller company takes larger hit when market keeps shrinking, yet they beat analyst expectations. their payment to global foundries will be over soon and revenue from consoles (at least) should be improving revenue soon. xbitlabs' analysis says that amd's workstation cards are doing well too, that's a high revenue market. i said it'll take until q4, but that's me keeping my expectations low, in case kabini based tablets fail (because of windows 8).
however, it seems like fx isn't making any progress. :lol:

Ironically I posted that link from AMD's website about this, so I guess AMD's website was right after all ;)

As for AMD's financials, a prominant market analyst predicted Q2-3-4 margins to improve after Q1 may have been a struggle, looks like again the analysts were correct.

yeah i guess... they can't creatively modify press releases.
i didn't understand the second paragraph. do you mean that q2-q4 2013 margins have already improved as predicted correctly by a prominent market analyst?

I meant they expected Q1 to be a struggle or bad, then 2-4 to improve gradually.

Probably the best thing I have heard in a long time, possible evidence brought to state which incriminates Hector Ruiz of Mala Fides in his position as AMD CEO, I hope they put that fraud where he belongs.

Status
Not open for further replies.