AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 129 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

good call. always have grains and grains of salt ready. :)
even if it's fake, amd did say that they'll launch new vishera cpus later this year. that's around 5 months away. lots of thing will happen in the meantime. :whistle:

jdwii

Splendid

It could be fake but honestly doesn't seem too far fetched. I really don't see Amd wanting anything that's going to lower the increase in performance vs steamrollers new CPU next year.

lilcinw

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Definite fake. Someone is having fun with photoshop and trolling for page views. Everything about that screen shot matches my 8320 (except mine is running at 4.4 with .032 less volts).

If it was real why wouldn't you put up the link to the validation for proof?

8350rocks

Distinguished

I thought it was interesting that the new instruction sets for steamroller were not listed among the instruction sets on the CPU-Z screen shot...that is telling, in it's own right, that this is a well executed photoshop job.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

What new instruction sets? It has the same as Piledriver from everything I've read.

jdwii

Splendid

What i knew immediately it wasn't steamroller i thought it was a simple Piledriver update for the year. But then again the increase to Steamroller would be less on reviews if they compared it to this fake CPU.

not many places people use more than 64 bit integers.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

I never said we need more "core loading". I said that programs need to keep heavy threads from being scheduled all those "miniscule tasks" to the same core.

does windows seriously know more about your program than you do and can schedule it in a way where your "checkout analogy" will never put your work manager to work bagging groceries while the other baggets stand next to him waiting to be told where to go next while he is busy?

ie: windows sees the scheduler thread waiting on some other thread to complete and puts him to work somewhere else since the "cpu was idle". now the entire program is in a "hold on till im done" state.

are heavy workload threads or critical timing scheduling tasks more effieient when shared with all other threads? that sounds like what your trying to say is that no matter what, programmers can't control their program, they must rely on windows.

only consoles can be optomized ...

AsRock Crosshair VI (Crosshair 6 from ASUS does not even exist!) Extreme HA! Someone did not know their mobo manufacturers and is obviously bunked. Releasing binned FX8XXXs is practically useless (see Q9650 to QX9650 albeit the QX had a unlocked multiplier but could not get past 4.0 and the Q9650 could laugh at it and go all the wayd to ~4.3GHz with a 9X Multiplier, leaving almost no reason to get the QX and everyone bought the Q9650) Rambling aside, only the FX 4 and 6 will likely be refreshed since Steamroller is steamrolling its way through delay walls to the release ceremony and there is almost no point binning it higher aside from no one buying it because at that market (i7 3820-3960X) it will get creamed without a doubt.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Sad news for AMD/NVidia. "All that capacity we were building up to make your 20nm products so you can compete with Intel, we're giving that away to Apple." U can't has 20nm!

imo, the news is sadder for nvidia as they sell arm soc competing against apple's socs. i think apple is more willing to cut amd some slack than they do with nvidia. this may open up 20nm for jaguar's successors and new gpus while nvidia may get stuck at 28nm - finally letting amd take a definitive lead against nvidia.

The Phase 5 facility is TSMC’s second 20 nm fabrication plant and will be ready for volume production by the end of this year.

DigiTimes’ sources further added that ,while Samsung will manufacture chips for the upcoming iPhone

So it appears maybe double normal capacity, with Sammy still doing some Apple.
nVidia has never led off with the new nodes right away, and AMD are saying they wont be going cutting edge either.
All this means is a month to three month delay, which will be normal anyways.
The only problem would be if the ramp is really slow, like we saw with 40nm, not with 28nm, and even then, it would be the repeat hard to find/trickle in scenario. At least for gfx, for APUs, the option for mobile which come later with design times involved, would still allow for decent DT release

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Double normal capacity doesn't mean much when you're dealing with the volumes Apple is. They're also competing for fab space with another 100+ billion giant Qualcomm.

Well, if it were them alone, then yes, but to what extent is Samsung involved?
Eventually TSMC will have to learn to have such capacity and more, so to not lose their normal customers and their needs.
I believe this transition will stress things but wont break them, and that includes TSMCs other customers that they need as well.

Thats not to say Apple wont have priority one, but this isnt just with them in mind either, or TSMC would be cutting their own throats.
One thing to watch for, is if any other customers form a closer relationship to Samsung, where their capacity could shift as well.

What you wont see is nVidia going to Samsung, and nVidia will be a TSMC partner, unless Morris dies

8350rocks

Distinguished

Meh, GloFo will have 20nm/14nm hybrid FinFET available soon...and that architecture is interesting with 3D stacking capability.

jdwii

Splendid

Yeah no not to sound like an apple hater but my experience with their iphone 5(and 3GS) sucks i had the same carrier yet the speeds were slower and you had to jailbreak it just to get the free south park app since it goes against apples values or whatever. Not to mention the video encoding software i had to use so that iphone could support it(i could right a book about itunes and how it has to update that way plus you have to install updates on a PC i think instead of the device itself), all while having a weaker phone that did not allow SD cards. Getting a android phone was the best thing i did besides not buying bulldozer. Will admit though i like the Iphone more than a windows phone and yes i tried their new windows phone the ugliest waste of space not to mention sub-par phones. Anyways i support your purchase(since it is helping the economy) not putting you down or none of that crap just want to express my opinion based on my experience.

Kinda wish Intel would revamp their whole design like Amd did take a risk it would be more interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.