AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 130 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
http://www.rage3d.com/articles/hardware/amd_worldcast/
"talk with Jim Keller" : " Volcanic islands shaping up nicely, will probably be coming later this year".

http://semiaccurate.com/2013/04/04/why-is-intel-so-secretive-about-phis-die/
"Xeon-Phi" probably has some sort of memory on interposer.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

Because there is a surprising number of lurkers who follow this thread, I want to highlight a more exciting bit of this article:

Heterogeneous System Architecture, which is building momentum and reaching a final stable first state this year with the Kaveri design, launching early 2H 2013.

Most claim that Kaveri will arrive late 2013 or even 2014. But we see almost mid-2013 right from the horse's mouth. How is this ever going to work out so close to Richland?

if anything, it proves that richland is indeed a stopgap lineup.
still, how are customers supposed to react if two new apu lineups, with kaveri being noticeably superior to richland, launch in such a quick succession? early 2h might mean as early as june-july, even though june-q4 interval is already small. some richland-early-adopters will feel being ripped off. i thought kaveri being q4-bound was supposed to give richland some breathing room.
on a more hopeful note, one may hope that steamroller fx cpus might be able to launch in october or q4 if kaveri can launch this early...even if amd has said that vishera will remain the flagship... those statements always have disclaimers attached... :D :whistle:

8350rocks

Distinguished
Keep in mind, a paper launch and a retail launch can be several months apart. The paper launch might occur in August, but retail doesn't go live until November for example.

Consider, Richland's paper launch has already happened, but the APUs are not on shelves yet...

I have heard rumours that richland may be called off if Kaveri is elevated to Q3-4 this year, it was why the initial April release was pushed back. Richland may yet only appear in mobility format in Kabini/Tamesh trim but DT may be scrapped all together.

8350rocks

Distinguished

That makes more sense than cramming 2 different releases 3-4 months apart...and they need a better mobile presence...which Richland would give them.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
@jdwii, Never said I purchased it :D lol, I actually own a Droid. But I love the key board on apple products. It's really fluid. Everything else about Apple is kind of irritating. I agree with all your points made. Only thing I own from Apple is a 3rd gen iPod Touch.

I can't wait for Kaveri... Gonna be such a fantastic APU! Hope these rumors are true. I could care less about Richland...

Also, You think it's a possibility AMD is going to use some sort of PCIe plug in for the GDDR5?

Basically, if Steamroller fails we get this all over again- http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e3/Intel_Core_2_Duo.png for a certain amount of time.
If AMD manages to defeat Intel Haswell single handedly we get this- http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/81/AMD_Athlon_64_X2_Processor_Logo.svg for a certain amount of time. Steamroller must succeed in a Phenom II fashion in order to keep the CPU market competing or one of the above happens. I just hope the improved module system can be on par with SB or Gulftown in single threaded apps.

jdwii

Splendid

I think we're already seeing Amd increasing at a faster rate when compared to Intel. Haswell was pretty disappointing(from a tock perspective) at least the pre release benchmarks at toms. Even if Steamroller was huge and clearly better all round compared to the I5's and I7's its not going to change much in the market since the world is going towards smaller devices and embedded. This is where i think Amd has fantastic products and yes better than Intel. Now Amd just needs 3rd party support so Jaguar and other tiny APU's can be used more often in these smaller devices.
In the server market people usually buy what's going to last them the longest this is where Amd needs the most help

The thing is, AMD's Opterons seem like the way to go in the server market, many of the World's supercomputers rely on Opteron processors or Co-Processors. In those pictures, I was reffering to the Desktop/Enthusiast sector.

since the clocks on the opterons are lower, the best opteron probably games worse than a fx4100

Blandge

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I think we're already seeing Amd increasing at a faster rate when compared to Intel. Haswell was pretty disappointing(from a tock perspective) at least the pre release benchmarks at toms. Even if Steamroller was huge and clearly better all round compared to the I5's and I7's its not going to change much in the market since the world is going towards smaller devices and embedded. This is where i think Amd has fantastic products and yes better than Intel. Now Amd just needs 3rd party support so Jaguar and other tiny APU's can be used more often in these smaller devices.
In the server market people usually buy what's going to last them the longest this is where Amd needs the most help

WAS? We're already talking about Haswell in the past tense before it's even been released. Haswell was designed for Ultrabooks, so until we actually get some Ultrabook reviews, we can safely say we don't know whether or not Haswell has sufficiently met it's power/performance expectations. Anybody who is disappointed at pure desktop performance gains is living in the past.

I wouldnt say living in the past as much as denying the future a bit.
Whether its Intel or AMD, or even nVidia, having one design covering several makrets its a huge advantage, it cant be done from top to bottom, but even using just 2 designs is a winner from a business perspective

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

I think we all here are desktop enthusiasts. And any piece of silicon that fails at desktops is a fail in our eyes. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.