AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 234 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeastLeeX

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

But... AMD Never Settles :)

FM2+ news: http://wccftech.com/amd-fm2-socket-supports-entire-apu-lineup-uptill-2015-adopt-ddr4-memory-carrizo-apu/

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

I mostly said that because Yuka and another user (forgot whom), got into a half page discussion about a UK War (not that I have anything against the UK, I went there a few months ago, it was amazing). But, I posted a small joke about someone telling me to get the lower CPU when I need/want the higher end one to better suit my needs.

That's what I meant by communist, however I took it back considering that useless rants get you nowhere, unless someone finds light in them.

YEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS! PGA LIVES ON! :3 I am really considering how DDR4 can benefit the APU.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Lower voltages, higher capacities, more bandwidth(eventually).

DDR3 at the higher end sacrifices voltage (1.65V) for higher bandwith, which is fine for desktops. Not much benefit with DDR4 for a desktop APU. Higher end DDR3 will basically overlap the initial DDR4 memory coming out (bandwidth wise).

DDR4 goes to lower voltages (1.2V/1.05V) vs (1.5V/1.35V DDR3, Normal/LowPower) for power and heat savings. That will help servers the most as they run more sticks. Laptops will get slightly longer battery life or free some TDP for higher CPU turbos.

Every extra watt helps

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Good to know FM2+ has some longevity.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
I really hope AMD releases a Hexi-core APU, I'd be on that like Butter on Biscuits. Especially since there'll be DDR4 support and this said statement.

Kaveri APU Equips 28nm Steamroller Core
The biggest architectural change Kaveri APU features is the use of the latest 28nm Steamroller architecture that is a true multi-threaded architecture focusing on enhancing the IPC (Instruction-Per-Cycle) by upto 25%. In each module, two separate threads are provided with their own parallel instruction decoder, due to enhancements, the steamroller die would be larger than Bulldozer and Piledriver with each module housing two steamroller cores with a shared L2 cache. You can see the block diagram for the differences between the Bulldozer and Steamroller architecture below:

Read more: http://wccftech.com/amd-kaveri-apu-architecture-detailed-generation-apu-featuring-steamroller-gcn-cores/#ixzz2aSDIl6pU

It honestly depends on if it can fit. You can only cram so much into the die.

More like "has a lot less stuff going on, resulting in higher performance". The Linux kernel is a mess.

And yes, I've looked at it plenty over the years. Its a mess, like all giant monolithic projects. BSD isn't much better. Can't comment on MSFT (closed source) aside from re-implementations (ReactOS, WINE).

8350rocks

Distinguished
The thread scheduling seems so much more efficient in Linux though...I will give you the overhead is a bit less too. Though that is primarily the fault of M$ putting all that bloated BS into their OS with all the garbage you have to uninstall the second you're done putting windows on the HDD. It's gotten a bit convoluted there...I can recall thinking the 5 different internet company promos on win95 was ridiculous...it's far worse than that now.

I don't know...but I have a feeling that M$ is losing their touch (In my mind they lost most of their touch when Ballmer officially took over, and Gates left day to day operations behind though). They need to stop the Intel-esque crap thinking they have a captive audience and innovate. When was the last time you saw something truly innovative from M$ that wasn't a rip off of someone else's good idea?

Well I have finally made the jump to a A10 6800K but am really looking forward to Kaveri's release.

As to the FM2+ boards, must say I am not keen on ASUS's choice of colour scheme, nor do I like the absence of passive VRM cooling of some sort, to much skimp on these boards, now digital diagnostic tool ewwww very plain jane for my liking.

They ditched the P55-Z77\990FX color scheme on AMD too.
misc-are-you-fucking-kidding-me-clean-l.png

8350rocks

Distinguished

Wondering what kind of overclock you get on that 6800K...?

Also, as these are the first batch of boards, I am sure some more feature rich models will come along. Plus, gigabyte hasn't released their boards yet. They had the best FM2 boards it seems.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Im guessing these 2 are just base models, posted for "first fm2+" bragging rights.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/A85XMA/

identical to the a88xm-a FM2+ so their high end should be this clone:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/F2A85V_PRO/

Can we bribe him to use LN2 :3 ?http://cdn4.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/A88XM-Pro.jpg They seemed to have planned to keep the Blue and Black color scheme, but they just had to change it to a fail Sabertooth, or it is inconsistent :vomi:

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
bulk is hotter (intel 90+c vs and 60+c) and is supposed to draw more power. Lots of SOI information can be found here:

http://www.soiconsortium.org/

I think the bigger problem is the unkown quality of GF. FX is a monolithic design compared to kaveri. If their 28nm isn't up to producing a good quantity of high end kaveri chips, fx is out of the question.

Which scheduler?

The MSFT one isn't too bad, all things considered. Much better then it was under XP. Problem is more with the amount of system services that eat up cycles and force context switches. (Work PC currently has 1080 threads running.)

I'd imagine Linux would have much lower latency on average by default. The default scheduler is designed around lowest average latency ("Fair Scheduling"), but as a result, as the number of applications/threads increases, the absolute performance of "heavy workload" programs will decrease. By contrast, on Windows, heavy workload programs/threads get preference when scheduling, so their performance will not be greatly affected as the number of threads increases. Essentially, Windows starts with lower absolute performance, but it won't degrade as thread count rises, unlike Linux. Its a design trade off.

EDIT

At a really simple level, the way the default Linux scheduler (CFS) works is simple in concept: The thread that is "Ready to Run" that has run for the LEAST amount of time gets run. This ensures very low system latency [as no thread will get starved], but lowers overall throughput [the most run threads get run the least].

Contrast that to Windows: The thread that is "Ready to Run" that has the highest priority is ALWAYS run. Priority can be affected outside the application in several ways (Foreground processes get priority boosts, priorities rise as threads wait and declines as threads run, etc). Due to this, heavy-workload threads running in a foreground app tend to be run more then other threads in the system, increasing bandwidth, but lowering overall system latency.

For a HTPC? Linux's scheduler is better designed for you. For gaming? Windows is the best. Different needs for different folks. Each kernel is "better" in its own way.

I don't have anymore pots so no LN2, but I can run 4.8ghz on around 1.415v which is what I need to run a 4.1ghz 5800K, kind of bottoms out at 5-5.2ghz, seems to be the most the APU will allow stable but the voltages are not prolonged voltages more what we call benching settings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_on_insulator

Reported benefits of SOI technology relative to conventional silicon (bulk CMOS) processing include:
- Lower parasitic capacitance due to isolation from the bulk silicon, which improves power consumption at matched performance.
- Resistance to latchup due to complete isolation of the n- and p-well structures.

Sorry that I can't give an answer of my own, but we're all learning I guess :p

Cheers!

8350rocks

Distinguished
SOI vs. Bulk...I can weigh in there.

SOI is a higher quality substrate, it dissipates heat more effectively, it also provides an environment that allows for less leakage and more efficiency.

So, basically, if you make a chip on PD-SOI or FD-SOI (FD better than PD) then an exact same engineered chip on bulk will consume more power, and generate more heat for the same performance.

Now, another issue with bulk is: in order to get a complicated process (like say...a FinFET) to work effectively on bulk substrate, you have add a few extra mask layers into the construction of the chip in the silicon. This is basically an attempt to "simulate" a SOI process while still using bulk substrate. Intel uses this method to save money on substrate costs, but it costs them more to tool for a new line of CPUs because of the added complexity.

However, if you go from bulk to SOI, while the substrate is more expensive, the transition is more straight forward as many of your processes used in producing chips on bulk substrate remain entirely intact. The primary difference you would see is actually a less complicated production process because of the fact that you no longer necessarily need the added mask layers like you had to add when using bulk substrate.

Kaveri on FD or PD-SOI will be more energy efficient and dissipate heat better than it will on bulk. There's a reason AMD went to SOI all those years ago...it technically gave them a process advantage over Intel (which they still have today, though Intel has managed a sort of "work around" using added production complexity on the same bulk substrate).

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Someone asked that during the earnings call, and AMD dodged the question. They said they don't talk about who fabs what and which process. We won't know until someone cuts one up. I hope it isn't bulk as that will certainly lower the clock speeds.

All they would say is they do still have a purchase requirement from GF. Last year they paid a charge to reduce the $$ per quarter.

28nm bulk won't help with clock and will likely not consume less power, they will only be getting a transistor size reduction going from 32nm SOI to 28nm bulk. They will have to use other techniques to reduce power consumption. I actually expect CPU clocks to be lower than piledriver.

os2wiz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012

Well I am a communist , not a little fuck, and I would greatly appreciate you getting your racist , imperialist ass out of here. A real jerk.

Status
Not open for further replies.