AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 254 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to try everything but ultimately my two favorite AMD CPU's remain the ol faithful Phenom II x 6 1100T and the 6800K that is recent times. I was passing up old rumours and stories over the last year or so and it seems a common theme that FX seems to disappear but Jim Keller is in charge so perhaps a move back to the Phenom/Athlon bedrocks of chip architecture. Thats not to say that modular design will go, just saying the bulk of the arch will resemble that which Jim Keller was integral in designing. Anyways I am very happy with APU's and how they have evolved from my clumsy A8 3500 to the impressive A10 6800K even the Athlon 740 and 750K are impressive chips and the APU's are evolving fast. But that is still not going to be enough, oh JK bring us a new era of the Athlon kind sir.

rmpumper

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009

The 8 games they give are worth ~ $100. All of them where on sale several times already and you can get the pack itself on ebay for $130 if you don't like to wait for deals. You can stop pretending that AMD is giving away $400 in games with the GPU.

There is only one on sale as of now. The seller seems to be ripping himself off :p Realistically, you should be making ~$250-300 off of it, but anything can happen :3

They need to make the Athlon 64 X8 8200+ to succeed the FX8350\8320 :p Perhaps adding more "K10 like" features to the arch will bolster performance.

the 7970 is cheaper and still OCs better.

8350rocks

Distinguished

You're telling me you can get Crysis 3, Far Cry 3, Bioshock: Infinite, Tomb Raider, Hitman Absolution, Sleeping Dogs, Deus Ex Human Revolution, and Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, for $15 each?

I find that odd, considering:

Crysis 3 = $30-35
http://www.google.com/#bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=8e08830c20b37e9a&q=Crysis+3+for+sale
Far Cry 3 = $23-40
http://www.google.com/#bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=8e08830c20b37e9a&q=Crysis+3+for+sale
Bioshock: Infinite = $25-60
http://www.google.com/#bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=8e08830c20b37e9a&q=Bioshock%20Infinite%20for%20sale
Tomb Raider = $20-41
http://www.google.com/#bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=8e08830c20b37e9a&q=Tomb+Raider+for+sale
FC3 Blood Dragon = $15
http://www.google.com/#bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=8e08830c20b37e9a&q=Far+Cry+3+blood+dragon+for+sale
Hitman Absolution = $16-21
http://www.google.com/#bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=8e08830c20b37e9a&q=Hitman+Absolution+for+sale
Sleeping Dogs = $19-30
http://www.google.com/#bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=8e08830c20b37e9a&q=Sleeping+Dogs+for+sale
Deus Ex Human Revolution = $15-50
http://www.google.com/#bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=8e08830c20b37e9a&q=Deus+Ex+Human+Revolution+for+sale

If you take the minimums that's $163, if you take the maximums that's $292. Depending on whether or not you actually want a boxed copy of the game or a digital download greatly effects the price.

You might be able to get a used bundle on ebay from someone who is selling theirs for $130. However, that does not negate the value. Average value of the package is still somewhere around $220-230, that would still make the HD 7990 $470. Which is an enormous amount of savings over a GTX 780.

So you can stop trying to belittle the offer.

Bump K10 to 28nm for mainstream systems FPU/Core or 2FPU/Module, fix the excessive L2 and L3 capacity and latencies, decoders, extension bolt on's presto AMD has a mainline range again that will not only run cooler but also faster than the FX.

obama-not-bad.jpeg

Perhaps you could even have room for another two cores.

8350rocks

Distinguished
Because gaming tends to use Floating Point calculations much more than integer calculations. I think Steamroller's beefed up new FPU and split decoder should alleviate a large portion of their issues in gaming performance.

Think about it...in Integer performance, the 8350 destroys anything Intel, even with the PD architecture decoder...(excluding the 3930k and such). So, where is the disparity? In the Floating Point Units.

SR will change that quite a bit.

Vulpes vulpes

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

No one believes you anymore, step down and let someone with more knowledge on the subject of CPUs defend Intel. I've been tracking this thread for some time and your shot down at every post. I know that I'm not to feed the troll but I just wanted to throw my hat into the ring.

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Hmmm. Why would you say that? I know that if you run your fans on the stock curve for the H100i, your your fans blowing out in push, they are just worse than it.

The H100i coolers better than the Noctua when you push air into the case. You are taking cooler outside air (like any other fan on the case) and blowing it in, rather than using already hot air to cool something. I've seen a couple tests done on it.

Also the Noctua cools better on lower clocks, once you overclock it more and more, the h100i wins more.

This is from what I know, I may be mistaken, but it would just make sense. Also, it's much safer, rather than having to worry that your cooler will snap the board and/or the stand it's on. :vendredi:

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Even though it gives off more heat, especially than the DCUII GTX 700's?

Also, will it perform better? We'll have to see. Considering that and the 680 are neck to neck, and the 770 stock being about ~10% better than the 7970 Ghz edition, you have to take what it actually does into consideration.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I will take your silence to my previous question as proof that you don't have any link/source supporting your claims about Kaveri SOI and about FX Steamroller/Phenom III...

Regarding FPUs, the SP Floating Point performance is as follows

Steamroller 2M @ 4GHz: 128 GFLOP
i7-3770k: 224 GFLOP
i7-4770k: 448 GFLOP

In fact Steamroller uses the same FPU that Piledriver. Unlike Intel, AMD will be relying on the GPU for heavy floating point computations.

The Kaveri GPU has a SP performance of 922 GFLOP and Berlin GPU has a similar performance.

8350rocks

Distinguished

No, the Flex FPU will be able to perform another Single Precision calculation per cycle for a total of 3, instead of 2 like current PD architecture.

Also, still waiting for the news...haven't heard back from the individual who was investigating.

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Wouldn't that mean that the GPU will have to do more processing than it already is, resulting in lower framerates? Or, would it increase performance since the calculations are done there and don't have to be translated through the motherboard?

Snapping the board is unlikely, that's about as likely as leaking antifreeze all over your system ala Corsair CLCs...

Depending on the GPU, perhaps. I am pretty sure they have it all thought out in a massive paper full of everything they need to know..

rmpumper

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009

I don't need to. Any reasonable gamer already knows that it is not worth more than ~$100. Here are the facts:

- any potential 7990 buyer already has at least 4/8 of those games, does not have the other 4 because: does not care at all about two of them and did not buy the other two because he/she did not have a fast GPU at the time

- all of the games in the bundle have been on sale plenty of times and any gamer would have bougth them at the time (Human Revolution was for $2 several times on Steam, Tomb Raider was $12, Sleeping Dogs $6 on amazon and Steam, Hitman was $5 on amazon and ~ the on Steam, Crysis 3 was ~$20 on amazon and you can get it for $15-$18 on ebay, you can get Blood Dragon for $5-8 on ebay, Far Cry 3 was ~$25 on Steam and amazon and ebay, Bioshock the same as FC3). That is ~$100, assuming you care about all these games.

- if the bundle is worth more than that- like you (you said it is worth $400 > "Makes the HD 7990 for $300, after 8 free games, look like the deal of the century then huh?" 7990 is $700, so -$300 for the GPU, that makes $400 for the games) and The Q6660 Inside claim ($250-$300), why don't you buy it for $130 from the guy and resell it with >$100 profit? Oh, right, you know that no one would buy it from you for that price.

This is just my 2c uneducated guestimate as to what is happening regarding AMD performance based CPU's.

there is a reason FX is scraped from 2014 and it largely has to do with AMD no longer needing to cross cater FX to different market space. AMD has a better product line best suited to that and FX is now reduced to a performance market but as we know its architecture is not efficient for this form of computing namely gamers and clockers.

I am guessing that 2015 will see the return of the Phenom/Athlon monika's in the traditional CPU arch design, namely single core with a FPU/ALU's per core reduced L2 and L3 and thus better latencies, it will also be sold in dual, quad and hex format on 28nm(maybe 20/22 if it exists for AMD by then). That may also see a new socket and new technology.

I have said this on many occassions that part of FX's issues is AM3+ sockets, 4.5 year technology expect 4.5 year old performance, FX never had its own chipset or socket and its paying the price

I am guessing that 2015 will see the return of the Phenom/Athlon monika's in the traditional CPU arch design, namely single core with a FPU/ALU's per core reduced L2 and L3 and thus better latencies, it will also be sold in dual, quad and hex format on 28nm(maybe 20/22 if it exists for AMD by then). That may also see a new socket and new technology.

No.

The Stars uArch is done. AMD moved on to the BD / modular design for costing purposes and then further advanced that design. Their not going to dump all that invested money to go backwards 4+ years, nor could they afford to. The "newest" Stars design was the Llano which was just a Phenom II at 32nm.

AM3 is not the problem nor ever was. I've gone over this several times already. Creating a "socket AM4 / 950 pin / ~insert market term here~" will do absolutely nothing for performance. Socket's are created as new interconnects are needed, and right now none are needed. Not even PCIe 3.0 would require a new socket, not that anyone needs 32 x PCIe 3.0 at the moment. DDR4 isn't anywhere near the desktop market yet so there isn't any new memory type coming. Essentially your down to wanting a new socket for the purpose of having a new name on said socket. AMD designed the AM2/AM3 sockets with the purpose of being future compatible, meaning you can add new technology without needing a new socket pin-out and often that technology can be implemented in a backwards compatible method.

The reason "FX" dropped of their marketing list is that they will use a different brand name for their next "desktop" class CPU. There will be a desktop SR CPU, it will be at the midrange 200~250 USD mark. It will have from six to eight cores (I'm leaning towards eight) and largely be the same as the 8350, just higher clocks with design improvements. BD never was "high end" though somehow it was marketed (though not priced) as such. "High end" is at least $300+ USD per CPU, not 250 and under. That's more upper mid range which is what the next one will be. So AMD is not "abandoning the performance market", they haven't been in that market for a long time and are just choosing to stop pretending they are.

-=Edit=-

For those wondering about the sockets. There most likely wont' be any SR CPU's for the AM3+ socket as another socket already exists that can do everything AM3+ can and even supports APUs. FM2 has the same capabilities that AM3+ does but with added support for an iGPU's video output. It makes very little sense now to produce CPU's for two separate sockets. AMD mostly targets budget and cost conscious design's, it would be cheaper to produce MB's and CPU's that only use a single socket that spans from low end mini-ITX to upper middle end enthusiast / gaming. FM2 already has some nice performance boards on the market, I expect even better ones to be made in the next year or so.

kebbz

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

What's after Excavator?

Status
Not open for further replies.