AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Saying "Valve console runs on Linux, so Linux users rejoice" , isnt it the same as saying "Xbox360 runs Dx11 code, so Windows users rejoice" ?
All the linux will be dealt by the devs. The game is transparent to the end user. How can this Valve box promote linux among end users ? Did the rise and rise of Android promote Linux among end users ?

Once again I have returned to see the latest "Expert" speculation and conjecture on steamroller. And once again its horribly, horribly, off topic. Monitor refresh rates and compiler talk. I guess its closer to steamroller than the Astrophysics that was being bounced around a couple pages ago.

Why don't we just rename the thread "General speculation and conjecture"? Then again, i'm really enjoying making fun of it, so just leave it as is.

Awesome!!!! Actual Steamroller conjecture and speculation! And from an addict! That's better than an expert!!

You made my day skitz9417!!!!!!!!!! I sleep well tonight!

skitz9417

Distinguished

hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahaha :D

according to the reports, amd said 28 nm kaveri apus (with steamroller cpu cores) will begin shipping in the second half of 2013. nothing on steamroller cpus. those will very likely come out much later.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

AFAIK, AMD only told in CES that 28nm APU will be released in 2nd half of 2013. They did not say what CPU core it will have.
Trinity's immediate successor Richland will have GCN1.0 arch GPU's, right ?

AMD’s CES 2013 Press Conference
http://semiaccurate.com/2013/01/08/amds-ces-2013-press-conference/
cleared up a few things for me, like why richland is the new apu's name (will only be in a8 and a10 apus while kabini will be in a4 and a6).

ah. you're right. there's no mention of kaveri's cpu core in the articles i've read. they mentioned kabini's cpu core (jaguar) but conveniently left out kaveri. i wonder if anyone, not dazzled by working prototypes with amd apus, even asked about kaveri's details.
yeah, richland will have gcn 1.0.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Looks like all we got at CES from AMD is an updated but rough roadmap, and some naming confusion.

The A4/A6 are now Jaguar based SoC designs.
The A8/A10 are Piledriver based designs.

The most interesting thing is they said Richland (aka Piledriver 2.0) is already shipping to OEMs. Not sure what that means for a release date but it will show up before any of the SoC products.

AMD is claiming 20-40% performance increase over Trinity on the same 32nm process. How is anyone's guess.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

I'm thinking video only improvements. They really need Steamroller to get 20-40% CPU gains, but maybe the GCN gives enough power savings they can clock the CPU cores faster.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

In the fine print, based on PC Mark 7 Overall benchmark only:

"Testing and projections develop by AMD Performance Labs.
The score for the 2012 AMD A10-4600M on the PCMark 7 Overall benchmark was 1965 and the 2012 AMD A8-4555M was 1650, while the Richland 2013 AMD A10-5750M was 2175 and the 2013 AMD A8-5545M was 1850.

PC configs based on the Pumori reference design with the 2012 AMD A10-4600M with Radeon HD 7660G graphics, the 2012 AMD A8-4555M with AMD Radeon HD 7600G graphics, the 2013 AMD A10-5750M with AMD Radeon HD 8650G graphics and the 2013 AMD A8-5545M with AMD Radeon 8510G Graphics. All configs used 4G DDR3-1600 (Dual Channel) Memory and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. RIN-4 "

http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases/Pages/amd_unveils_new_apus.aspx?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+amdpressreleases+%28Press+Releases%29

nice, we have some igpu model numbers and some other codenames.

@mayankleoboy1: i saw an article on a newly announced vizio tablet running z60 apu. sadly that's the only hondo-related announcement i've seen.....in months. however, temash and kabini seem to be doing much better which is a good thing.

looks like amd has one-upped nvidia in rolling out a fully scaling gpu architecture with gcn, with their very first in-house gpu design, no less. nvidia's upcoming maxwell arch is supposed to be scaling all the way from high end gfx card to smartphones/tablets (sorta like haswell.. i think). to nvidia's credit though, they made 700 mill...

Status
Not open for further replies.