AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 27 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

imo what the synthetic benchmark scores tell us is that the amd apus have the more powerful igpu(Duh) and that's what boosting the score.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Unfortunately for NVidia and AMD it looks like Apple is cutting them off at the pass for TSMC's 20nm wafers.

That's why they're both stuck at 28nm until 2014+.

AMD can grovel back to GFlo now after spending 1.5billion or so to switch them off. I knew that move would bite them in the arse.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Only Richland is shipping now. It's up to the OEMs to announce new product with them.

They're mobile chips (socket FS1r2) so could be any day now or they could delay depending on inventory of "Trinity" mobile parts.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

They didn't give any numbers for desktop parts so it's likely just mobile for now, which can include the AIO (all in ones) and possibly slim desktop computers.

really? i didn't know that apple had some kind of exclusive agreement with tsmc. if apple does cut amd and nvidia off then they can switch to samsung if that's possible. :p

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Found some dates:

HP Pavilion Sleekbook - available January 13 starting at $480

HP Pavilion TouchSmart Sleekbook - available February 3 starting at $650

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/hp-introduces-new-15-inch-sleekbooks-with-touchscreens-and-amd/

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

That's the rumor as TSMC has started making test runs for Apple.

Switching fabs isn't trivial and can cause 12-18 mo delay. AMD already paid dearly to switch to TSMC.

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I really think AMD needs to get a pure CPU out for the higher end mobile space. Most A10's are still paired with discrete graphics, and even with the crossfire argument, I think its kinda sad how an A10 gets bested by the i3's/i5's in most tasks. This is somewhat similar to Intel packing HD 4000 graphics on its K edition chips, when most people who buy these chips would be buying discrete graphics with an extremely high probability anyway.
If they get rid of the graphics part, the CPU could make use of the entire 35W envelope; I'm sure clock speeds can be cranked up to atleast 2.7/3.4GHz turbo.

If AMD can afford it, they need to start manufacturing native dual PD module chips with 4MB of cache, which can fit into all 3 types of sockets,
This one chip can fill in 3 market segments;
1) High end laptop quads
2) Athlon II x4 750 chips (without the need to castrate perfectly working Desktop trinity chips, and incur less profit)
3) Middle segment of the FX 4300 spectrum (without castrating the 8 core chips). I'm thinking 4.2GHz/4.5 turbo easily @95W. This could be come the new choice for gamers at $120.

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

By "high-end" I meant AMD's high end :D Basically between the mobile i3's and i5's; the $650-$750 segment :)
The A10's are a joke in front of the quad mobile i7's :)

I know amidst financial concerns and recession rumours came out of AMD scraping its 2013 line up for 2014 but with more clarity on the position now while AMD will take stock hits at least for Q1 and maybe Q2 there is enough from regional AMD headoffices to infer that both APU and Desktop Steamroller parts will be released from Q3 2013.

As to what has happened to date, Vishera and Trinity have shown that AMD are heading in the right direction again despite the direness of the last 2-3 years and lots of changes Vishera definitively and comprehensively beats the Zambezi's and retires the Thubans as the highest end part, granted 2 Generations back of its Intel competition. If the encouragement of Vishera is something to go by that is on the same die and node achieved core level improvements improving IPC, Power and IMC performance dramatically over Zambezi then it is very possible with the intended process for SteamRoller that AMD may close the generation gap a bit.

Apart from the performance aspect AMD's future vision into Computing is a very exciting proposition, AMD had despite laying off a number of engineers have hired a respectable quantum of more reputable engineers and management staff so hopefully AMD is on the right tracks again.

I was pretty contented on the performance of Vishera and Trinity so SR seems a very exciting prospect.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
From Anandtech's AMD live blog : http://www.anandtech.com/show/6567/amd-ces-2013-press-event-live-blog

07:34PM EST - Richland looks like Trinity with a software update

07:33PM EST - Kaveri will be 2H2013 with GCN support

So Richland is prolly not GCN. So how is AMD claiming these 20-30% increase ? Clock increase, due to better process tech ?
Also, no word about the CPU core in Kaveri .

Who is going to buy Richland, if Kaveri is just round the corner ? Who will buy Richland, since Trinity landed a few months ago?
FU, AMD managemnent.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Looks to be quite a bit of AMD information coming today.

http://wccftech.com/amd-launching-28nm-kaveri-apu-steamroller-cores-2013/

As usual anandtech's bs is filled with AMD hate. Richland is trinity with software update? don't mention the 20-40% boost in graphics performance.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/jules/amd-richland-a10-6800k-vs-haswell-gt3-graphics-performance-analysed/

.... A lot of conflicting results, but this points to richland having GCN 2.0 radeon 8000 cores.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/CES-2013-AMD-Officially-Launches-Its-Richland-Temash-and-Kabini-APUs-319359.shtml

looks like the software update is for facial recognition and hand gestures.

As far as launch dates, it does seem a little odd, but each one updates the next, alshough not much different than the 2 trinity launches (Mobile in may, DT in september). Renamed richland primarily for mobile devices follwed by kaveri but compatiblity with both.

good to see AMD taking smaller steps of testing instead of jumping both feet into a bulldozed mudhole and allowing marketing to run stupid campaigns.

How about it gets properly benched first? Or are you advocating review sites do the same thing they did before BD launched, raise expectations to unrealistic levels, and hurt AMD when they miss expectations (even if the chip itself is good)?

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
@ Noob22 : You seriously take Wccftech seriously? I thought you'd be smarter than this. Nowhere on the net is anyone saying Richland or Kaveri to be SR based. Only Wccftech claims it, based on a 'leaked roadmap'.

And you think the Kitguru comparison is worth citing, which is based on 2 unknown quantities, the performance improvements of which is based on half-rumours and leaked slides and marketing ?

Quoting the Kitguru article :
These graphs show what would happen if AMD manages 40% faster in-game performance than its A10-5800k and if Intel manages to sweep past the Ivy Bridge HD4000 graphics results by 100%. Remember, these are their claims, not ours, and we’ve taken them at face value.

But you dont read what you link to. Because its Kitgurus assumption , you say ".... A lot of conflicting results, but this points to richland having GCN 2.0 radeon 8000 cores. " Hey Noob, do you even parse Text, or just look at pretty graphs?

As usual anandtech's bs is filled with AMD hate. Richland is trinity with software update?

So its OK to speculate wildly, but its hate by AT to report what AMD itself said in its presentation, no more, no less. But of course you like wild speculation, because speculation cant be measured. Real data can be. So you conveniently disregard all data as biased.

don't mention the 20-40% boost in graphics performance.

READ the AT article. It says so. But you dont have the habit of reading what you link or 'quote'.

looks like the software update is for facial recognition and hand gestures.

READ the AT article.AT says so. But you would have to read the article to get that. Which you dont.

How about it gets properly benched first? Or are you advocating review sites do the same thing they did before BD launched, raise expectations to unrealistic levels, and hurt AMD when they miss expectations (even if the chip itself is good)?

But all benches are already super Pro-intel, because Intel has paid money to all benchmark developers, and all benchmark developers use Intel C Compiler. So all benchmarks are worthless.
Right Noob ?

good to see AMD taking smaller steps of testing instead of jumping both feet into a bulldozed mudhole and allowing marketing to run stupid campaigns.
But BD was the best CPU ever made. Its just that all these damned benchmarks and applications are soo pro intel. AMD's 32nm is so much better than Intels 22nm. And Intels 14nm is not even possible.
And i suspect that the companies that make power sockets are also bribed by Intel to use more power when it detects an AMD CPU/mobo is plugged in.

mobile i7's igpu is a joke in front of a10's :D
right now, amd is aiming to undercut intel in the mid to low end laptop with the mobile apus. they're trying to do the same with low power apus against atom and haswell.

hopefully richland (a8 and a10) chips won't ship in too high volumes.
amd will have low end fx 41xx, trinity a series, richland a8, a10(if they launch in desktops), still-refuses-to-die phenoms all fighting for the same customers.

i was certain that richland would have gcn 1.0 igpu..... that's what i get for reading into rumors too much...

btw, both trinity and llano outsold (i forgot if it was outsold or outshipped) 8 core fx cpus 10 to 1. even 4 core fx sold more than 8 core ones. 6 core fx came second to last, ahead of 8 core cpus. edit: bd actually ended up boosting phenom ii sales as well. i haven't seen any sales numbers of pd yet, though pd is likely to take sales lead ahead of bd.

looks like amd's revenues are well spent by glofo

GlobalFoundries to Build $2 Billion R&D Facility in New York.
GlobalFoundries to Establish Massive R&D Center Near Fab 8
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20130108231123_GlobalFoundries_to_Build_2_Billion_R_D_Facility_in_New_York.html

edit2: lol
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-richland-28nm-a10-6800k,20272.html

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

And AMD did not give too much information in their CES presentation.

Combine what they officially said, with rumours and speculations, and you have a wonderful reality distortion field, that amplifies and adds what even AMD is not saying.

Edit :

The wonders of TomsNews . :pfff: Richland is 28nm ? It has HD8000 graphics ?
Any fukcing source ? no.

Hey Noob222, you got a competition on who can read everything from nothing.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
^ From his Bio :

"An 18-year veteran in IT journalism and market research " and "was managing editor of Tom's Hardware news, which he grew from a link collection in the early 2000s into one of the most comprehensive and trusted technology news sources."
No wonder TomsNews has lost all credibility. Specially with TomsHardware readers.

Copy-pasting online articles without credit makes you an "Industry Veteran" ? My 10 year old nephew is also a 5 year old veteran. He copies all his homework from Wikipedia. But he cites source. So he is is more veteran.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
If Richland had GCN2.0, wouldnt AMD be screaming it at the top of their voices ?

In the CES PPT, they spend lots of time gloating over HD7xxx, GCN and GPU superiority.
They were surprisingly quiet about all talks of GCN2.0 and HD8xxx.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
I wonder who is feeding these unrealistic performance improvements of Richland to the press? It has a sinister intent because its raising the hopes of people, and if AMD fails to live up to that, people are going to trash AMD again.

Noob222, I sense Intels money behind this.

Status
Not open for further replies.