AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 287 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Wanted to address this...

Considering that the consoles are now actual x86 cores with OoO execution and lots of other nifty things...I think you'll be surprised how well threaded next gen games engines become...even on the PC.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Three months ago:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ea-no-next-gen-fifa-14-on-pc-because-users-have-low-spec-machines/0117297

Yes a 8350+9970 combo has more raw horsepower, but note that I used italic font to emphasize the word "most". According to last Steam stats less than a 0.3% of gamers have a 8350, and the number of those with graphics performance comparable to the new 9970 must be of one tenth. Therefore about a 0.03% or so of gamers must have something as fast as a 8350+9970.

Taking into consideration Windows overhead and fixed specs, the 2 TFLOP PS4 will perform as a PC with a raw performance of about 4 TFLOP (this is for native optimized games not cheap ports).

Most PCs are much less powerful than 4 TFLOP.

wtf are you even talking about? physx does not run on AMD GPUs. Any game running physx with AMD gpu in it is doing it on the CPU.

AMD hasn't said anything. At this point they haven't even officially saying gpus are coming.

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

If Tahiti is ROP bottlenecked and AMD is increasing ROPs by 50%, then I think we might see some hurt put on Titan.

Ultra_HBAOoff_02.png

come next year, all non-nvidia sponsored games might look like this. AMD probably doesn't even need a new card in that case.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

BF4, not still next gen, but already recommends to use a quad or a hexa core CPU

BFReq_689.jpg

8350rocks

Distinguished

Indeed...the HD 9970 is supposed to be roughly 34% faster than the HD 7970, which was not 34% slower than the Titan.

By comparison, the GTX 780 was only about a 20% increase over the outgoing GTX 680 for those who are curious. IIRC, the GTX 780 was billed as a "mini-Titan" in reviews. That makes the HD 9970 what...? The Titan Killer?

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

Haha, that puts 9970 performance at 108 frames in the Splinter Cell bench that was posted earlier.

I'm not a religious man, but I'd call it David slaying Goliath.

As for Steamroller, Seronx is claiming on OCN that desktop FX class CPUs are delayed because Steamroller B (bdver3b) started development in June 2012 after bdver3a was cancelled as it wasn't competitive enough with Haswell.

It was announced early August 2012 that Keller was back at AMD. Maybe I'm a dreamer but it looks like AMD is just going to push back Steamroller and give us something that has Keller's hands all over it, which means great things if you like AMD and long, sleepless nights of hot flashes, sweating, and nightmares if you're hajifur.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Remember, when JK was at the helm for Athlon64 AMD was better in pure performance and power consumption...

*sigh* that was the good old days...when K8 kicked the crap out of everything, doing anything.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
Haha! blackkstar, love that David and Goliath reference.

To be totally honest, I have the feeling as to why AMD is delaying and being so, "Hush hush" about everything is because they're cookin' up sumfn' fierce. But then again if I'm wrong, they're probably doing absolutely nothing.

Considering they're not discontinuing support to AM3+, Officially. I think we might see a new socket (AM4 possibly, or a AM3+ refresh?). I personally think we might see excavator and DDR4 this time next year... or maybe Steamroller on a smaller process?

I get the feeling AMD is looking to give Intel a wedgie here soon. Lol. (or would it be an atomic wedgie? *budumtss*)

8350rocks

Distinguished
If steamroller FX is genuinely a JK masterpiece like Athlon64...then Intel had better have something much better than a 5% improvement cooked up for their next architecture leap...

Athlon64 redefined the PC industry and sent Intel scrambling for 5 years to catch up.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

Those who I(ntel)gnore history are doomed to repeat it! :D Lol, possibly. We shall see.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

This kinda confirms what xbit said last november, though they were more blaming it on GF's lack of 28nm yields. The SR APU was always going to come before the high end server/DT chips. AMD needs money just as much as they need some High Performance parts to keep the masses interested. Money is in the APU, leading the way to develop HSA programming.

GF likely being unable to produce both APU and high end at the same time on 28nm, one of them is going to have to wait. For how long, thats unknown. The factors that affect that are how fast are the APU selling and how fast GF can fill orders. In the meantime, since its delayed, why not go back and improve it so when it comes ...

One thing I did like about RR, he killed AMD's stupid marketing gimmicks. Now if AMD can produce a high end product that gives Intel some true competition, they will be caught with their pants down instead of AMD saying "we are going to pull your pants down, get ready to pull them back up."

The unfortunate side-effect of shutting up the marketing gimmicks ... things are actually too quiet about what AMD is actually doing. Kaveri is on the verge of being released and we don't even have ES benchmark leaks.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

34% faster than 7970 normal or Ghz?

He is also saying us that Kaveri is 8-core and that Steamroller maximum freq. is "~2.4 GHz" (because he says us "Steamroller doesn't maintain the high frequency engine") and other stuff that only exists in his imagination.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Reference 7970 I would assume, the write up I saw was unclear...however, it could very well be the GHz card. When it comes from AMD though, it's typically referring to the reference card.

However, even the reference 7970 was 925 MHz with 975 MHz turbo. So the performance gap wasn't huge between the 2.

i assume glofo is reluctant as amd seems to be the only customer for their 28nm hpp process, everyone else orders for mobile-optimized processes. i've always questioned it's production-readiness.

i've read about kaveri demo laptops and demos so far, but no numbers. it was just last year, amd wouldn't shut up about trinity, the intel fake-out vs trinity running dirt3 was so much fun. :LOL: seems like forever ago.
historically, well.... since zambezi and llano, amd launched new apus in may-july and performance cpus in october-november. hopefully something will trickle out next month.

@Griptwister, LOL.

Nostalgia time!
Athlon 64 mmm, oh how I love you 3200+ and X2 3800+. Speaking of nostalgia, ABIT, WHYY WHYYY WHYYY DID YOU HAVE TO DIE OH HOW I LOVED YOU SO MUCH? Them AN8-SLI 32X + 2x 7900GT nostalgia man, last time I ever had a dual gpu setup!

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

If the baseline is the normal version then a 34% faster means slightly behind the Titan. If the baseline is the GHz Ed. then it means will be slightly ahead the titan. The performance gap is minimal between both options, but if it is the last option, the "faster than Titan" label could be excellent marketing.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

faster than titan by a little bit on 3dmark.

http://wccftech.com/amd-hawaii-gpu-performance-exposed-3dmark-faster-gtx-titan/

Status
Not open for further replies.