AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 299 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

Ive already proven to you that ARM is no where near raw performance of X86 and now your back at it again, except this time its both raw and PPW?!

just admit your wrong and leave it at that. Oh, thats right, you can't, you know more than anyone working for AMD and Intel combined.

ARM ~= Atom << Ivy.

As for Nvidia's supercomputer, the ARM core is only there to turn on the quaddro gpus so they can do ALL the work. ARM is aimed to take on microservers, thats hardly considered supercomputers.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

Cloud Computing is getting pushed hard so that companies can make money by charging you to use their servers. Its a novel concept to be certain, but I question the security of it all.

http://www.adobe.com/products/cs6.html?promoid=JOLIS

While Adobe Creative Suite® 6 products will continue to be available for purchase, Adobe has no plans for future releases of Creative Suite or other CS products.

ouch. Kinda makes AMD's OpenCL on Photoshop effort pointless.

The problems ... No internet, no software. What if you want to take a vacation to a remote cabin and enjoy the peace and quiet for some "inspriation", well you have no software to edit that inspirational moment.

And what about privacy? Our great and powerful government already wants to spy on everyone, CC makes this easier since they just have to go to the source (adobe, google, ect), and you won't even know they looked at or stole your information.

Then there are the "hackers". you can always protect your private information by keeping a system offline, not possible with CC.

The good part about CC is the fact that the software is ran on remote servers. You could use any device that has enough graphics power for what your working on. <-- this is another reason why companies are pushing low end CPU with high end graphics. However, they still need high end servers for CC to work.

Depending on how hard CC is embraced, it could reshape the entire industry. You would never own any software, just some server login. This could also be another negative. 50 software purchases = 50 separate logins ... nasty.

VV @gk, might want to rethink that, Adobe is going 100% CC. But you do have a valid point. How well is this going to work when Adobe has 10,000 CC users.

The cloud is never going to offload significant amounts of processing, simply due to bandwidth. Even reading off external media is orders of magnitudes faster then what you get connecting to the cloud.

What ARM is trying to do is get into the server market, which is VERY high margin. Don't have to be a major player, market share wise as a result. Essentially, they wouldn't mind knocking out MIPS and taking their spot in that market. I understand this line of thinking, but disagree with it. ARM should compete with PPC/MIPS at the low end, and aim for taking over that segment.

Why the hate on ARM being faster?

I agree with juanrga on one specific point: currently, all ARM CPUs are targeted for ridiculously low power envelopes, so you can't compare them to any CPU from tablets and up. I remember the Xolo 900 from Lenovo which had an Atom in it and was on par (albeit with a tad higher power consumption) with ARM9 cores (ARMv7 ISA?), but we haven't seen anything comparing (that I recall) ARM15 and the Xolo 900, or their big brothers using ARMv8 (64bit pointers?). I remember PowerPC having 128bit registers back in the day.

Anyway, don't discard so easy what a full blown RISC CPU can do against the X86+ ISA. This is the same old conclusion we always reach here: the right tool for the job makes the difference.

Cheers!

hardware failures are also problems. if the could servers fail (component failure, cyber attack etc.), everyone who subscribes to the cloud services are blocked out. same with maintenance. worse, if the cloud services implement mechanisms to lock users out of their offline data if they're not logged in to the cloud user account.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Memory bandwidth score, as any other synthetic benchmark, is software dependent.

16GB/s + 33% = 21GB/s.

Also the A10 is not a natural competitor for an i7-4770k. Toms would have chosen an i3 or an i5 for a fair comparison and repeat the test with an AMD mobo/BIOS that doesn't fail at highest memory profiles.

Irrelevant because you are never running exactly the same code even when comparing AMD to Intel (all x86). E.g. the OS can have fixes that only run on the AMD chip. The video encoder can be executing special instructions only available to a Haswell chip, the Cinebench benchmark can be using two difference codes, one fast for GenuineIntel other slow for the rest, thanks to a unfair cpu dispatcher....

Do you really believe that AMD chose ARM over its own jaguar design because benchmarks were giving less than a 10% advantage? Do you believe AMD engineers don't know margin of errors?

Those current market shares (even if they are right, I doubt very much) don't count. Today the number of ARM server is virtually zero. Still every analyst in the industry predict ARM servers market share will be around a 20% in some few years. Lots of companies are preparing ARM servers, including companies such as HP and Dell.

The "they said so" is not an argument, because also works in the other way. Also I never said x86 will die. I said something different.

The interest in ARM for phones/tablets is because x86 doesn't scale well downward. The interest in ARM for servers/supercomputers is because x86 doesn't scale well upwards.

Once you have ARM dominating servers, supercomputers, workstations, tablets, and phones, the weird thing would be to retain x86/windows in the desktop. That will only work for legacy workloads or for people who is slow at changes. x86/windows will remain as a niche.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
Thought you guys might wanna hear about this! :D Finally, something interesting in the Tech world! May not be AMD related yet, but good news none the less.

http://www.techoftomorrow.com/2013/pc/valve-announces-steam-os-hundreds-of-games-coming/

Looks like I'll be going dual boot here soon...

(Also, nothing new about AMD processors, AMD just thanked their fans is all)

why would I ever dual boot an OS that offers nothing?

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
Considering Windows 8 BLOWS and this is an OS optimized for gaming. I'm happy with it. It would allow me to unclutter my desktop and use it for programs that support windows while I can have another large drive filled with games... who knows, they might even work a better cache system into there.

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

For F sake AMD... they keept constantly posting about how excited they were and they could not wait for the 23.

2 days before the 23 they posted on twitter that only 2 days, and the next day they keep posting only one day and AMD on facebook said to keep our eyes on AMDFX twitter and to check their previous posts, they totally made it sound like they were going to announce something... what a bunch of F----- A-- Holes.

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Woah you guys. You're forgetting that A7/A57/ARMv8 is not as good as you're thinking.

Yeah A7 is fast compared to older ARM chips, but it is upward of 1 billion transistors. Even if it has GPU, FX 8350 is 1.2 billion transistors and IB 4C with GPU is 1.2 billion transistors. Haswell ULT GT3 2C is 1.3 billion transistors.

A7 is around one billion transistors. How much do you want to bet that A7 will not come close to Haswell ULT GT3 2C performance?

We still have the rest of the day, just stay calm alright,

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

They are updating their products page, I'm getting an error right now trying to go to it:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/processors/amdfx/Pages/amdfx.aspx

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Location: http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/processors/amdfx/Pages/amdfx.aspx
Line Number 144, Column 71: src="http://metrics.amd.com/b/ss/amdvglobal/1/H.20.3--NS/0?[AQB]&cdp=3&[AQE]"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------^

Kind of rash to be updating product page without announcing anything if you ask me. No idea what's happening.

EDIT: they deleted the tweet linking to the products page. Something is going on... Probably disappointment as social media noise is usually nothing enthusiasts want to hear about.

So you will reboot every time you run a game when you don't have to? Currently they don't seem to offer anything extra.

What do you have against windows 8 besides the tiles? The OS is perfectly functional and runs more than steamOS ever will. Will probably run most games better than steamOS since most PC devs don't use openGL and will be supporting windows as the main platform due to accessibility.

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

I don't think you really understand Linux performance. My Core 2 Duo 1.66ghz laptop with x1600 mobility chip runs Windows 7 horribly. I have Gentoo on it and tons of eye candy and it's fantastic.

what does that have to do with games which run in runtimes like openGL which no dev is going to optimize for except for valve.

Steam OS could be the biggest gaming news in a long time especially if this bit is true “In SteamOS, we have achieved significant performance increases in graphics processing, and we’re now targeting audio performance and reductions in input latency at the operating system level. Game developers are already taking advantage of these gains as they target SteamOS for their new releases” or it could be a non-starter no one remembers in 6 months. Is it to compete with next gen consoles, windows or both?

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

1) There is nothing on ARM incompatible with raw performance. There is nothing on ARM impeding scaling upward. The same cannot be said of x86, which cannot be well scaled.

Density of code means little, because those complex instructions usually take much more time to execute.

2) The new A57 core has shown how one can increase performance over the previous generation whereas increasing efficiency as well. I don't wait that ARM can be scaled up forever without compromising efficiency at some point, there is no free lunch; but thanks to the greater initial efficiency advantage, the fastest ARM cores will continue consuming only a fraction of the power of a similar performance x86 chip.

That is why ARM has been selected by Mont Blanc project (and similar others) for next gen supercomputing.

Your example of the GPU is very good because illustrates my point nicely. Current high-end GPUs consume much more power than years ago, but the increase in performance has been much greater and, as a consequence, GPUs efficiency is much higher than for CPUs. There is no way you can scale up a x86 CPU to consume some given power figure whereas providing the same performance than a GPU. That is why top supercomputers are hybrid designs with GPUs for compute. Those GPUs consume lots of power, but offer much much more performance than a bunch of CPUs consuming the same power.

For the sake of comparison, the new Seattle CPU offers (according to information given by AMD) about the same raw performance than a hypothetical Steamroller 8-core chip @ 4GHz but _probably_ consuming less than one half the power. A pair of pages ago it seemed to me that you considered a FX steamroller 8-core as "high performance".

Sorry, but you have only proved that you didn't understand anything.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

One can compare ARM to x86 as well. The standard A57 core is at least so fast like the jaguar core. And Apple A7 core is faster than the best and last attempt by Intel: Silvermont.

You are comparing a SoC to CPUs/APUs. Consider that when counting transistors. Apple A7 is a SoC that includes such things as securecore and even an image signal processor for the camera. The ARM CPU occupies only a small part of the SoC die space.

Your comparison of the Apple A7 performance to Haswell performance is also misguided, because the Haswell APU has much more thermal headroom, at least one order of magnitude higher (that is why it cannot be used inside a phone).

If you were to thermal/power constraint the Haswell APU down to the A7 levels you would obtain a very very slow CPU (compared to the A7 CPU). That is why Intel had to release a new optimized architecture: Silvermont.

However Silvermont architecture continue being much slower (at same thermals/power) or hot/power-hungry (at same performance) than Apple A7.

Recall that the ARM A7 with a dual core at 1.3Ghz is able to offer the same raw performance than x86 Bayl Trail as a quad-core at 1.5Ghz (turbo >2Ghz)

I have always wondered why some people prefer slow/bloated/outdated/insecure/locked software to faster/efficient/uptodate/secure/open software.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
Well, I've currently got a lot of Valve games and I play TF2 competively. For me personally, Having another drive for my games that I need to load fast, it would be nice to have a dual boot with a faster OS. (I'd either buy a SSHD or a 128Gb SSD)

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

Lol, everyone still remember the GTX 480? Yes? Good, now continue talking about how spectacular Nvidia is.

I just realized something, the performance per dollar has really gone to hell with both the Radeon cards and nVidia cards. The 470 (350-380ish) and 5870 (3$90-420ish) had far more performance per dollar than per say today's 680/770 or 7970 at launch. When the Kepler and Southern Islands 680/7970 cards come along after Fermi and Evergreen/Northern Islands, they were at laughable prices ($600 7970 and 4GB 680, I am looking @ YOU!) Even more now, with the 780 and especially the TITAN are such terrible value for money, after all, their predecessor, the GTX 580 was only $500...

There is interest in ARM simply because X86 does not scale downward particularly well. This is nothing new. That being said, Windows itself doesn't scale downward very well either. X86/Windows is going to remain the desktop platform of choice, and ARM/Android will remain the mobile platform of choice. The end.

This is what I've been trying to tell people. In order to scale up you need to start adding dedicated things to the die that aren't directly related to processing power. Cache / instruction schedulers / branch predictors / ect. Those things consume power and space and thus your cost per performance starts to erode rapidly. ARM doesn't scale up nearly as well as it's proponents say. It's a horizontal architecture, you get high performance by connection dozens of ARM processors to each other and executing a ton of distributed code. Try to close an ARM CPU very high and you slam into the same problems everyone else ran into two decades ago.

As for RISC CPU's being high powered, their have been high performance RISC CPU's for a very long time. RISC is actually much easier to make *fast* due to it's incredibly predictable instruction execution time. SUN even tried making a "Desktop" SPARC machine (Sunblade 100/150), didn't work out too well. Apple was using PPC which worked out better then the Sunblade's but even they switched over to x86 eventually. x86 is just cheaper to design around and already has a huge ecosystem to draw revenue from.

So the entire ARM vs x86 is just some wishful thinking. ARM is amazing at low power (electrical usage) devices that do just enough to be useful. It doesn't scale up nearly as well as the other design's but it's ability to scale down is unmatched.

Yeah I miss the days of the Geforce 4200 Ti or the 7900GS cards. Both companies have become really good at identifying market segments and pegging their prices to that segment. The upper end cards are obscenely priced because there are people who will pay that much for performance.

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

The day is done and still nothing, they were either going to announce something and went back or they were just trying to troll and piss some fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.